Michael Schumacher critically injured while skiing

Discussion in 'Motorsports Chat & Race Preparation' started by Steve, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    It appears Michael Schumacher may be in bad shape after a skiing accident. Fell, hit his head on a rock, suffered some degree of head trauma (though he was supposedly wearing a helmet at the time), ended up in a hospital for "professional medical attention." Lots of speculation, no surprise, esp. since no one in the know is willing to issue a statement.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Schumacher critical, in coma after ski accident (GPUpdate.net)

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Oh man. I wish him the best & a full recovery.

4. Taffy

Taffy New Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Retired State Trooper
    Wilmington, OH
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
  5. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    Shocking news indeed.

I pray he recovers.

6. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Get well Michael, we are praying for you.

7. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KPMfEQFCxE]Michael Schumacher 'fighting for his life' - YouTube[/ame]

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    At a press briefing at the Grenoble hospital on Monday morning, surgeons confirmed that Michael Schumacher remains in a critical condition and is “fighting for his life.”

They confirmed that he has had only one operation thus far, to relieve pressure in his head, and that a second is not planned as of yet. Schumacher remains in an artificially induced coma.

The surgeons noted that he had suffered an impact on the right side of his head, and that without a helmet, “he would not be here.”

“He is still in a coma and he will be kept in a coma,” the surgical team said. “Everything that needed to be done has been done and is being done. At the moment we can’t really say what is going to happen, and when he will recover. We cannot answer this yet.

“He’s undergoing some treatments which are limiting the damage to his brain. We are trying to release pressure in his head. His situation is critical, it definitely is critical. We are working hour-by-hour, we cannot say anything more, we cannot speculate.

“He is in a critical situation, and we can say he is fighting for his life.”

“Despite the helmet we observes some very serious head injuries, so it was quite a big trauma to the head,” they continued. “What we observed initially was an impact on the right hand side of the head. He was agitated when he came in, he had some spontaneous movements, and he wasn’t in a normal state when he came in.”

The role of the helmet was stressed, saying aside from the severeness of the injuries, the helmet did help.

“We think that with the violence with which his head hit the ground, the helmet did help. Without the helmet, he wouldn’t be here now.

“The helmet obviously wasn’t enough to protect him completely, but it really did help.”

Meanwhile, Paris surgeon Prof Gerard Saillant, a close friend of Schumacher, said, “Honestly I came here not really as a doctor but as a friend, so I can’t really answer any technical questions.

“I am very worried just like any of his family, his children, his wife, we’re all very worried about his condition. The doctors won’t tell you more because they can’t tell you more. They are working hour-by-hour and it’s only at this level that you can take decisions.”

9. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
  10. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    If you're not sure about the skills of the translator in that video (I know I wasn't), here's a better, text version.

Doctors say Michael Schumacher's condition 'extremely serious' (autosport.com)

11. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Sad, I hope for his recovery. What a awful thing for his son to witness and live with. :(

Don

12. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    #12 Steve, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
    Just a word to anyone wondering what happened suddenly to/in this thread. Nathan decided (and rightly so) to move posts about Schumacher from the F1 thread into this one. That's why it may seem a bit odd to some of you, with new posts seemingly appearing out of order.

Should seem esp. odd to Taffy, who started this thread, since it now looks like I started it. When you combine posts from different threads, our software orders them based on timing of the posts and it always labels the first person to post as the thread starter. Sorry about any confusion, Taffy.

And now back to this Schumacher business...

With no one willing to make a prognosis, if you're interested in how these things go there's one guy you might want to follow. Gary Hartstein is a former Formula One Chief Medical Delegate and he speaks a relatively simple American version of doc-speak. You can find his stuff linked in this article.

Hartstein, ex-F1 medical chief, providing valuable insight on Schumacher (nbcsports.com)

13. RallyMini370

RallyMini370 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    I hope all goes well Michael.

14. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I hope he gets better. My players are with him.

All the high risk racing and a skiing accident almost kills him. :frown2:

15. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
  16. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    :fingerscrossed:

17. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UCzU4zwMTg]Sabine Kehm Interview : Schu's Manager Reveals Accident Details - YouTube[/ame]

18. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Don't know how anyone could express this better...

From the Telegraph:

By David Coulthard 10:30PM GMT 30 Dec 2013

Wed 1 Jan 2014 Updated 6 mins ago

Home » Motorsport » I only hope Michael Schumacher pulls through so that he can see all the nice things people are saying about him

With hindsight I know now that I was never on the seven-time world champion's level but he gave my career as a Formula One driver credibility

The outpouring of concern for Michael Schumacher’s wellbeing over the past 36 hours, not only from the world of Formula One but from the wider sporting, and indeed non-sporting, community has been wonderful to see. In my opinion it constitutes long-overdue recognition of Michael’s status as a true sporting great. I only hope and pray that he pulls through to see what nice things people have been saying about him.

The truth is I do not believe that Michael has ever truly received the praise or recognition that his stunning achievements merited. And I say that now with the benefit of hindsight.

For years Michael was the perfect pantomime villain, particularly in this country; German, of course, ruthlessly efficient, ultra-aggressive. Whereas previous greats such as Sir Jackie Stewart or Juan Manuel Fangio left the door open to their rivals when racing, for fear of making what could easily have been fatal contact, Michael went all out in his pursuit of victory.

Sometimes he overstepped the mark – Jerez in 1997 and Rascasse in 2006 spring to mind – and those indiscretions made him unpalatable to the sporting purist. He was marked down by some, including me, as a tainted champion. But you cannot argue with his achievements.

At the end of the day he had the same rules and the same race marshals as the rest of us. And he destroyed us.

He could be infuriating. I had numerous run-ins with Michael, most famously at Spa in 1998 after we collided on a wet track and he stormed over to the McLaren garage and accused me of trying to kill him. I asked him later, in exasperation, whether he had ever been wrong about anything at any point in his life. “Not that I can remember,†he replied. To me that summed him up.

He had complete and utter self-belief. It was what made him a champion.

And what a champion: 91 grand prix victories and seven drivers’ world titles. I can say now, and again it is with the benefit of hindsight, that I was never on his level. You cannot admit that, even to yourself, during your career because you need to have self-belief but I have no trouble admitting it now.

Michael was the reference point for me. I can see that now. If I beat him to a win or a podium, I knew I had done a very good job. He gave my career credibility.

As I said, we did not always see eye to eye but there were two sides to Michael.

He was a ruthless competitor but at the same time he was a family man; generous, kind. If you were part of his trusted circle then he was loyal. If you were not, he could cut you off completely.

I never knew exactly which camp I belonged to but our shared relationship with Mercedes-Benz meant that we were thrown together regularly.

I can vividly recall being invited to Michael’s private parties after the German Grand Prix and staying up smoking cigars with him, late at night after a few drinks, talking about just how lucky we were to be doing what we loved.

There was always that underlying respect. When Michael retired at the end of 2006 he approached me and suggested we swap helmets. It had never even occurred to me to ask him. Why would he have wanted my helmet? But he knew that I collected them and I was honoured that he offered me his. It remains one of my prized possessions and I know he keeps mine at his home in Switzerland.

I think Michael might have got more credit before now had he not burnt his bridges so completely with the British media, to whom he was completely closed, at least during his first career. I think Sebastian Vettel may have learnt from that experience.

In any case, Michael’s comeback with Mercedes showed he had a more human side. And in a funny way, it cemented his legacy rather than harmed it.

Watching him struggle to match Sebastian and Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso, not always through fault of his own, proved that time waits for no man. It was too easy during his first career to assume that he simply swept all before him.

Those struggles with Mercedes gave us, certainly me, a new-found appreciation for the unbelievable levels of consistency he achieved in his first career.

This skiing crash has connected Michael to the rest of us on a human level once and for all. Here is a father, like any other, his wife and children at his bedside praying for him to pull through. It is something to which we can all relate.

The awful thing is that so often it takes something like this before we say what we truly feel about someone.

I hope that in this instance, with Michael having received such swift medical attention, and given the fact that he continues to receive the very best treatment possible, he is going to emerge victorious once again. And when he does he is going to realise in what esteem he is held.

19. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    Nice read.

20. Alan

Alan Active Member

May 6, 2009
    retired
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Raises BOTH Michael and David in my eyes.

Well Done Mr. Coulthard.