Most liked posts in thread: Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course Sold

1. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    I talked to a guy the other day about this (the office for their school program is next door) he said as far as spectators and people attending class go nothing will change.

Now if only these people would buy Nelson and install a new bridge :)

Nathan when is your welcome to town party? Can't wait to see your car in person.

2. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Mid Ohio is a great track, and Jim Trueman really did a lot. I hope that the new owners will reconfigure it to make it a better track for Indy Car and ALMS. It is really great for SCCA stuff, but too tight for pro stuff.

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Just as long as they don't put in shopping malls, amusement parks, and hotels. Like those two crazy Germans did at the "Ring".:mad:

4. JMC40

JMC40 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    O...H...!!
    Ratings:
    +373 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I hope they keep the tradition of the place up. My family and I love Mid-Ohio and go multiple times a year.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Nothing etched in stone as of yet but look for news in a few weeks. Probably try to set something up for after the Race Team Shirt arrives to allow for pickup at that time too. Think weekend of April 16.

Doesn't Nelson Ledges really need a repave first?

6. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    They were bought out a few years back as well and they have been improving the facilities a great deal which included a repaving. Last I was there, the bridge over the track to the "paddock" could use a complete makeover but the track looked much better than it had in previous years (when it picked up the bad reputation for potholes).

7. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Mid-Ohio has been a part of my life since 1966. I actually had a span of years 1966 to 1984 where I didn't miss a single race there....oh, but the campground in the infield was the best :D I too hope that they keep the rural atmosphere that the track enjoys. As far as changing the track for the pros...the pros need to change themselves for the track :Thumbsup:

8. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Nelson could use a fresh coat of something, but to me that would take away from the expereince. A big part of the track is managing the transistion between surfaces. If it was all the same the track would be much easier to drive, but not nearly as much fun.

The bridge is just plain dangerous. You can see through it! I have wanted to go to a track day there and get some through the bridge pictures on blurs passing below my feet.

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Mid Ohio was made into a great facility by the late Jim Trueman. Since his passing it has sort of just ambled along. It still is a very nice track, but the polish has worn off. I hope that the new owners are successful. I also hope the track layout does not change.

As far as Nelson goes, it is my favorite track to drive. The great people there make it feel like family racing. :D

I believe someone was attempting to buy Nelson, but it fell through. Not the bridge Allen. That many tires lining the track certainly make it a super fund site. They should just close the bridge & open the gate after every race group to let folks in & out.

10. LIL PIGG

LIL PIGG Club Coordinator

Sep 20, 2010
    Field Tech
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I really hope they do not change the track at Mid-Ohio. I know so many drivers the just love the place. I go up there all the time and just enjoy it so much.

11. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I hope the new owners of Mid-Ohio treat the competitors with more respect. I drove there in SCCA, IMSA and Trans-Am events in the '70s & '80s and anything we needed was granted. Maybe because the owners were racers and the last owner was just out for $$$, it's a shame too because she grew up in a racing family ('m not using names to protect the innocent).

As for the layout, it's perfect for every form of racing, leave it alone :Thumbsup:.

I helped build the bridge at Nelson Ledges in the spring of 1973, that tells you how old it is :eek6:. Opening the gates between sessions puts a lot of dirt on the track before and in the braking zone. This was done before the bridge was built and made the left hander horrifying with dirty tires.

Mark

12. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    I agree about Mid-Ohio, MT ran it as a business without the passion that her family leader possessed.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

13. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Truth be told M-O has to be a business. If it did not make money it would cease to exist.

Nelson the track that I love makes no money to speak of & the facility shows that fact. It barely exists.

I think the gate plan at Nelson would work. Although they would have to improve the roadway on each side of the track. When the rains come it is a mud road. That bridge is just asking for someones tow rig to fall through it. It's hard to believe it is open for vehicles.

14. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    I was going to say I bet that bridge is older than me, but I was not quite sure. Yep it is a couple years older than I am :)

15. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Definitely older than me. My first race event was at Nelsons with my dad when I was less than a year old :lol:

[​IMG]

16. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Chuck , I understand that it has to run as a business but she just never seemed to have the passion that the others had which is understandable. I look forward to ownership that returns that passion and puts some new money in the place.

17. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I agree no passion from M.T.

I along with others can only hope for the best. Fingers crossed.

My thought is that the sale will be a positive thing for racer's & fans of Mid-Ohio

18. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    +1

19. LIL PIGG

LIL PIGG Club Coordinator

Sep 20, 2010
    Field Tech
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    do you think they will keep the roofs red or change them to green???

20. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    LOL that is a great question Jason. If it were my decision I would change them to green ...no more red roof (pun intended )