MINI 50 Years "Rebel without Pause" - Video

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Nathan, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The brand film "Rebel without Pause" focuses on MINI fans and drivers all around the world and their personal experiences with MINI.
    In a documentary style the milestones of MINI history are shown - narrated by authentic people: From the future to the past - back to present and vice versa.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veAN6PwNkCI"]YouTube - MINI 50 years - Rebel without Pause. (long version pt.1)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHnV01wbpds"]YouTube - MINI 50 years - Rebel without Pause. (long version pt.2)[/ame]

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Every time I see Johnny's R52 I salivate. Or something.

3. irieman

irieman New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What Mini is this?

This is an awesome video on so many levels! Among the dozens of awesome classic and new minis (and a lot of people I actually know *thumbsup!*) there was one car in the video that is very un-mini like.

Does anyone know the backstory behind this vehicle (seen "in motion" in the "short version" below @ 2:05).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYr6G3upKwI"]YouTube - MINI 50 years - Rebel without Pause. (short version)[/ame]

Attached Files:

4. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Hmm ... odd. I thought it might have been a oversight by the editor, but then in the finale, they show it again at 4:11 :confused5:

The grill is Aston Martin-like, the lights are Datsun-like, and the rear is somewhat Porsche! Must be some crazy custom body kit on a Mini! :crazy:

5. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Mini Marcos

Well, a reliable source had this to say:

"Hello John

Thankyou for your mail.I too am not sure what this car is .The only car that remotely looked like this was the mini marcos from the 60’s.I will ask MINI and see what they say."

It does appear to be the Mini Marcos (I had never heard of it till now):

[​IMG]

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Mini Marcos Owners Club

A little about the Marcos from Wikipedia

The Mini Marcos was produced in limited numbers between 1965 and 1970 by Marcos, 1974 to 1981 by D & H Fibreglass Techniques Limited and again between 1991 and 1996 by Marcos. It was based on the DART design by Dizzy Addicott who finally sold the project to Jeremy Delmar-Morgan. Jeremy marketed the Mini DART as the Mini Jem. Jem Marsh of Marcos cars separately developed the project into the Mk I Mini Marcos and despite the similarity of the name, had nothing to do with the Mini Jem. In Sweden the Mini Marcos was sold by Elmhorn-Troberg Racing Service.

It was sold as a kit car utilising a fiberglass/GRP Monocoque with running gear & subframes from a Mini. During its life it went through five versions with changes including sliding windows (Mark II), rear hatch and wind-up windows (Mark IV).

The Midas succeeded the Mk.IV Mini Marcos which at that time was being made by D&H Fibreglass Techniques Limited in Oldham, but the latter marque was subsequently revived by Marcos with the Mark V.

Following the closure of the Marcos company, the Mini Marcos moulds were acquired by Rory McMath of Marcos Heritage Spares who has re-launched the car as the Heritage Mk. VI and GT, the latter being a racing version.

It was the only British car to finish Le Mans in 1966 and set four British land speed class records these are the flying mile, half mile, half kilometre and kilometre for cars up to 1600 cc.

7. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    very cool video's......thanks for posting Nathan!

8. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Those videos are awesome. I love the international perspective and everyone's take on their mini.

9. lilcoopr

lilcoopr New Member

May 5, 2009
    MINI Ambassador and university student
    Toronto, Canada
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I watched this video at MINI United surrounded by tons of MINIacs from around the world. It gave me tingles up and down my spine to think that they made a video about exactly how I feel, and exactly how everyone I was standing around feels, about their MINI - being an important part of their life and "not just a car."

Amazing video! If they had it on DVD, I would gladly buy it as I've been passing the link around to all my MINIac and non-MINI owner friends :)