MINI by Rolls Royce

Discussion in 'MINI News and Articles' started by Nathan, Jun 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [IMGL]http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/members/nathan-albums-site-stuff-picture214-rrmini1.jpg[/IMGL]BMW is actively considering introducing a new super high-end Mini that will be re-trimmed by Rolls-Royce’s Goodwood operation.

Autocar understands from well-placed sources that the project is close to getting the green light.

See all the latest Mini reviews, news and video

The Rolls-trimmed Mini caught in these scoop pictures is not a one-off, according to the source but is a late prototype for what’s intended to be an established premium custom version of the Mini.

Buyers of the high-end Mini will be able to visit the Rolls Royce factory to select the various interior trim and dashboard finishes and will also be able to collect the finished vehicle.

The project is more evidence that BMW’s expansion of Mini brand continues to draw inspiration directly from the history of the original Mini.

Mini Coopers with re-worked interiors and extremely high standards of trim became popular in the early 1960s, and were often owned by the highest profile celebrities of the era, including all four Beatles.

It’s popularly believed that the first high-end coachbuilt Mini was commissioned by actor Peter Sellers in 1963. It is said to have cost £2600 when a standard Cooper cost £679.

The Sellers’ Mini was quickly followed by a similar offering from Harold Radford called the Mini de Ville. This came in three specification levels, but all versions included new instrument packs, wooden dashboards, Rolls-Royce-style seats and even new headlamps.

In 1965 the de Ville was also available with a hatchback and folding rear seats, an example of which was famously owned by Ringo Starr.

Coachbuilders Wood and Pickett also produced a high-specification Mini along the same lines.

Some Mini bosses believe that a Mini with the interior luxury of a much larger car has again become relevant thanks to the current trend of downsizing, especially for affluent city drivers.

Hilton Holloway
    AutoCar.co.uk

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    It's pretty... but then again we "DIY-ers" have been doing that stuff for years! Mine just doesn't smell like Connolly hides. Kind of interesting though. Can't really cost BMW much, considering their system is underutilized, I'd imagine.

For people with the $jing to do it, the idea gets my :Thumbsup:

3. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Wasn't this dispelled by Rolls Royce? I believe they came out and made a statement about not having anything to do with it:confused5:

I'd like to see more pics if anyone has any. Looks like a beautiful interior. It's good to see a quality, classier interior rather than the tacky checker interiors that you see too often.

4. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    There was just a blurb on Autoweek.com about this today...

5. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    When I was in Garching last month (north of Munich), there was a massive M Gmbh design enter with a dealer next door (MINI and BMW). I asked about M Gmbh and they said it's where BMW and MINI owners can take their cars to get custom things done...leather interiors, etc.

So...doesn't BMW already do this? And this new service would be dealer side then? As in, order a new car and get it outfitted?

6. FERNO

FERNO New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, if you don't order the Phantom-optional 4" thick carpet, you don't know what you are missing.

One look at that stuff and you take your shoes off before getting inside.

7. WJHMH

WJHMH New Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Rock & Roll Clown
    Panther City. TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That makes a ton of sense in this economy.

:rolleyes5:

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Actually it does...

Those with the means have cut back on conspicuous consumption. This allows them some of the comfort of a Rolls with the look of a MINI. What a way to please yourself and put a good face towards the plebeian masses.

9. MightyStripes

MightyStripes New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Oct 29, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That looks pretty plush :) I like it :)

10. pbraun

pbraun New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    retired
    Southport, NC, by June 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if someone makes a spray that smells like Connolly hides?

11. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    that glossy blackness is sexayyyyy

12. farkus

farkus Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    No doubt sales would be brisk in a place like the UAE, and of course there would have to be a JCW version complete with suicide doors... :D

[​IMG]

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    From the Shanghai Auto Show

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzkKty5EeTA]YouTube - Rolls Royce Mini Cooper: Shanghai Auto Show[/ame]

14. Zeyk_Shade

Zeyk_Shade Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Some jackwads on another forum I am a member of, hate the interior of any MINI. Hates this one even more. They say the only reason they won't own one is because of the dashboard layout. I told them that if they didn't like the dashboard layout, buy a Civic or Hyundai. The car wasn't designed for them.

15. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    There's a pretty long history of tarting up original/classic Minis, starting with the Radford DeVille - this is Peter Sellers' example as seen in one of his Pink Panther films:

[​IMG]

The basket weave sides look crap in this photo, but I used to see one of these in London as a young man and they looked simply stunning. Time to invent basket weave vinyl, methinks....