Question R57 Convertible Mini Convertible engine rattle question

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Peter&Cigdem, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Peter&Cigdem

Peter&Cigdem New Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Long story short.
    Bought my '09 R57 brand new.
    Chain tensioner blew the motor in 14 at 70k mi, replaced the motor.
    Started getting a weird idle this August, actually got BMW to replace the high pressure fuel pump. Started to run better, but not the way I remember as normal. Seems to have a bit of a knock now, and found what looks like a valve cover leak. Took it to BMW, they gave it a clean bill of health. Also willing to concede if I am actually paranoid; I'm just a little tired of buying engines at this point.

Would be grateful for any ideas on what the community thinks this might represent.

Video of the knocking I'm hearing:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,869 / 10 / -3
    That sounds terrible. It could be something loose. Make sure your exhaust is not loose. and check around the motor. You can get a long screwdriver and put it on different parts of the engine while its touching put your ear on the handle, kind of like a stethoscope. This will help find if it is coming from inside the engine. Does it change with RPM or tempter change? Did the Mini dealer hear that noise?

3. Peter&Cigdem

Peter&Cigdem New Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks I'll try that.

Seems it's only at idle and when the car is cold. We left it overnight with BMW and gave them this video too. They said they heard it and that it was normal. I just don't trust that because I've had concerns before about weird sounds on this car at startup and a different dealer said it was OK over 30k mi of services. Later the car wouldn't start, had to replace the motor. Come to find out it was the timing chain tensioner and by the sound of it, it had given out already by 16k mi.

So now I have this sound, dealer says again it's OK, and that gives me zero confidence.

I'll check with the driver as you recommended.

Still open to any ideas as to what this might represent

4. Peter&Cigdem

Peter&Cigdem New Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Also, pictures above are of the valve cover mating surface. My high pressure fuel pump was just replaced, and I'm trying to determine if that stuff I see represents spray residue or a gasket. Could that be the source of my weird sound?

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,869 / 10 / -3
    #5 MCS02, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    The only thing I see wrong with the valve cover is a little seepage But it is not enough to worry about yet. Yes this a new engine when you replaced it and how many miles are on it now? I am mainly a Gen1 guy although I have a couple Gen2's maybe some of the Gen2 guys like @Metalman will be around later and can help more.

6. Peter&Cigdem

Peter&Cigdem New Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have about 20k mi on the new engine.

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,869 / 10 / -3
    would just keep an eye on it if it gets any worse I would let them know and have them take another look at it.

8. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I call BS on that. Sounds unhealthy to me and I understand your concern. That said, I have no idea what it is. At this point if it was mine I would probably consult a non-MINI/BMW shop, though you'd need to find one familiar with MINIs.

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    If it’s really cold have your oil changed and then test it. It could be a very cold lifter getting stuck with dirty oil.