Mini Cooper Coupe: Worth the Non-Mini Price Tag?

Discussion in 'MINIs in Other Media' started by Nathan, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Dan Neil on The News Hub reviews the Mini John Cooper Works Coupe and tells us why it's fun to drive and worth celebrating. But at more than $30,000, is this diminutive car worth buying?

Video at Wall Street Journal site

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Dan said the coupe was built in Austria.... I thought it came out of Oxford.... Isn't the only MINI built in Austria the Countryman???

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Dan Neil is wrong. The Coupè and upcoming Roadster are built in Oxford. The Countryman and the upcoming 2 door version, the Paceman are built by Magna-Styer under contract in Austria.

I posted a comment in the WSJ article Mini's Hot Coupe: Drive It—If Your Pal Buys One

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Maybe Dan was driving a Coutryguycoupe aka a Pacman.... :smilewinkgrin:

5. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    one thing Dan was truly correct on:::::

At the end he did state that there was no other car to compete with a Mini Cooper for fun and being in it's own world. He sure was right on that. I still can't get used to people asking me questions when I come out of a store and they are congregated around my car.

Dan was pricing a JCW and probably don't even know you can get the coupe "Justa" a whole lot less expensive. He really needed to do better research on the subject before trying to be an expert.

As far as head room and tall drivers I don't think that there is any problems at all. My friend steve is 6 foot three and he fits in my 2009 JCW hatchback just fine. His head does not touch the roof at all.

:beer

6. Sideways

Sideways New Member

May 12, 2009
    Motorer and footwear Extrodinaire!
    Above the Border^^^
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    FACT CHECKING!!! WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO FACT CHECKING???
    There were SO many things wrong with that little segment that I don't even know where to start!!! but I will ask, what was the point of it??? what exactly was that supposed to do??? there wasn't even an opinion!!!

7. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Sorry don't hate me, as you all know I LOVE MINI's and I don't know anyone that owns more than I do. But I can't bring myself to buy a coupe with it's price tag. I would buy a used Cayman first. Sorry

8. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0
    Agreed - the Coupe s cool and all - but I do not see enough of a performance gain to motivate me to go from my R53 or if I was buying a brand new R56 Tin top.

9. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    They should put a "real" powerplant in them and make them Cayman killers... THAT would be FUN. :D