Mini Cooper Crash at MOTD!

Discussion in 'MINIs on the Dragon 9 (April 27 - May 1, 2011)' started by Ladyvalea, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    What does it matter if i was there or not ?

I deal with terrible drivers on a daily basis, and considering a large number of them in MINIs showed at the Dragon this year. Call me what you will, i sincerely dont care, but IMO people need to be MUCH more attentive drivers, and if the driver of this MINI had been....we wouldnt be here talking right now ;)

Driving is part of my job on a daily basis, and if i acted like the driver in the above, then i would kill someone. :mad5:

2. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    85% of drivers consider themselves above average.

How easy it is to ridicule he who has just made a mistake.

3. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, I thought you were seeing all that from the video and did not know you were on the scene.

Jim

4. jcauseyfd

jcauseyfd New Member

May 25, 2009
    Graham, NC
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I'd suggest that whatever tagline is decided upon, perhaps it could be incorporated into the signature graphics that everyone uses. Maybe even a special one that highlights it.

Also, for those of us who lead drives with our clubs throughout the rest of the year, maybe we can include yellow line discipline in our drivers' meetings. I know when I do them I try to cover driving within your limits, not doing things that will reflect badly on the club and/or MINI, and other stuff. Could start to specifically discuss the yellow lines. Maybe the repetition of hearing it over and over will help some.

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    The driver in the Mini is completly fine (house mate of mine) and the car has been approved to be repaired. ($9 K +) and it was also driven back to PA. He was not distracted while driving. He just came up to the top of the hill did not see the Nissan Sentra and turned in. Maybe the sun was low or whatever accidents happen.The Driver did get a ticket for not yielding to on comming traffic that he swares he did not ever see. (he did look)

FYI The lady in the Nissan works at Fontana did NOT even touch her brakes and looked like she was speeding. (over 35 mph) But in the end who cares whos fault it was. Everyone is ok and the cars can be fixed.

Also we are making a sticker for the side of his Mini that says "Insert Nissan Here".

6. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Good to hear, can't hardly believe it is getting fixed the way the side was moved in. Both cars involved did a good job protecting the drivers... ;)

...and this whole incident was an ACCIDENT, pure and simple.

7. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Well, as they say, crap just happens sometimes. :yesnod:

Jim

8. rickaustin

rickaustin MINI of the Month - June '10

May 3, 2010
    Software development
    Duluth, GA a suburb of Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I think there are probably a lot of factors that contributed sun shining in our eyes (I was three cars behind him and had the camera), popping over that little ridge, and the combo of one MINI turning, the one right in front not probably caused his view to blocked a bit.

In the end it was an accident and unfortunate. Scared the heck out of us especially for the lady in the red car. The airbag slammed her but good and was the thing she was complaining about. After it seemed she was okay she got out along with her dog. As someone mentioned she works for Fontana Village and I spoke with someone later that night who told me she was doing fine.

I think it is a lesson to all that with that many cars around we probably ought to take just an extra look, an extra second before we make a decision that could cause harm.

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    The way I see it that accident could have happened to anyone. It was a bad spot with terrible lighting. I will not pass judgment on that MINI driver. It was just one of those things.

As they say "there but for the grace of God go I".

Thank God all involved are well.

10. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Not the safest spot to be turning left, with the crest of the hill right there. Bout got to stop and turn in. I have never seen anyone turn in there only pull out. Not sure where that little roads leads to anyway..
    Glad all turned out as well as it could for the 2 involved and the dog!!!

11. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Logistics & Administration
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Here come the lawyers.:mad2:

12. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    No need for any Monday morning QB'ing.

13. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    My 21 year old son, obviously, says he's above average too! If everybody is above average, then whatever happened to 'average'. Has the whole bell-shaped curve moved, or are 85% of drivers out there just average :crazy:

14. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    moble auto paint tech ( PTU )
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    There was another wreck on 28 Friday night about 7 PM it involved a Pepper White MINI and a motorcycle. The incident was on the Fontana side of the 10 MPH turn at the bridge. Anyone know anything about it ?

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Reports were that bike hit car. Not sure why car was still there on Sat AM when it did not look heavily damaged at all.

16. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    From what it looked like, the left front wheel was pushed back. That would surely stop it in it's place. The bonnet was damaged some, but it looked like the left front wheel took the brunt of the impact.

17. jcauseyfd

jcauseyfd New Member

May 25, 2009
    Graham, NC
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I'm pretty sure the motorcyclist that hit the PW MINI was staying at the hotel where I was. Overheard him talking about how po'ed his Mom was going to be, I assume that was the accident he was referring to. Talked to some other motorcyclists on Sunday morning when checking out. They said he (the one involved in the wreck) was under the impression the MINI actually saved him from more severe injury as if they had not been there, he probably would have gone over the guardrail. Pretty sure I remember seeing the PW being taken home on a rollback. When I went by the wreck, it did look like the left front wheel had been heavily damaged (amongst other parts).

That was one of the five wrecks I saw while I was there over the weekend.

18. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    moble auto paint tech ( PTU )
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    The passenger side was also screwed up pretty bad it looked like he put it in the guard rail trying to avoid the bike.

The motorcycle had its front wheel almost touching its rear wheel, it was a very solid impact. I did not stay at the scene, asked if all was ok, biker was up walking around so I rushed up to the Gap and had them call the law.

I was just wanting to hear all was OK.

19. Little Wing

Little Wing New Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    We came up behind it and were waved around.
    Later we were told that the driver of the PW MINI is the coordinator/director for the Medivac flights out of of Fontana Dam.
    I don't know her exact title.
    Fortunately the kid on the bike who hit her was OK and didn't need her services! :Thumbsup:

ETA: We were also told that the kid jumped off of the bike and was clear before impact.

20. phinz

phinz New Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I actually gave her husband a ride to the airport on Saturday so that he could pick up a rental car. A very nice couple. Last I heard from her she was waiting on the adjuster to take a look at the car. They were actually headed to Highlands for the weekend, not to MOTD.

Her husband said that he was driving when the kid came around the curve, lost control and laid the bike down. The kid went one way and the bike went into the car. He said the kids helmet didn't even have a scratch on it, and he was wearing all the gear, which is a blessing.

Apparently the first MINI on the scene, or one of the first, after the accident was actually one of the medivac EMTs that she works with. He's the one that gave her a ride back to her car to put the key in it so the rollback could come get it.