Mini Cooper drivers fall short in world record attempt across Mackinac Bridge

Discussion in 'MINIs on the Mack (August 1, 2015) MI - Really far' started by Nathan, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

ST. IGNACE, MI — It was an impressive showing, but Mini Cooper owners came up short in their bid to set a new world record for the longest parade of the fun-sized British-made vehicle at the 2015 Mini on the Mack event.

After a morning gathering in Mackinaw City on Saturday, Aug. 1, 1,319 Mini Coopers drove in a single-file line across the Mackinac Bridge. The effort was 473 better than a 2013 attempt, but missed the 2009 world record of 1,450 set in London by 131 cars.

Event organizers, however, shared on social media the 1,319 cars was the largest gathering of Mini owners in the United States.

While those in attendance, including my wife Erin and myself in our hot chocolate Mini Clubman, were hoping to set a new world record, many were simply pleased to be among such a large, unique group of Mini enthusiasts.

"Mini people are just some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet," Robin Culbertson, who drove her bright red Mini convertible from her home in the Florida Panhandle to Michigan's Upper Peninsula to be part of gathering.

And there were certainly plenty of people to meet. When parked in a large farm field in Mackinaw City before crossing the bridge, it looked like an endless stream of vehicles.

"I can't even see where the cars ends," said St. Ignace Mayor Paul Grondin.

Culbertson wasn't the only out-of-state Mini owner at Saturday's event. A survey of plates in the lot showed Mini owners making the trip from as far as Alaska, Texas, California, Colorado and New York.

Mike Santora, of Colorado Springs, Colorado, was hoping to lure some of his Mini friends from the Rocky Mountain State to make the trip to Michigan, but he was likely the only one to show up.

"I try to attend as many Mini events as I can," he said. "It's great talking cars with other enthusiasts and seeing how creative owners get with their designs."

Mini owners looking for inspiration found plenty of it walking around after the record-attempting parade.

A contingency from Detroit Tuned, a Mini Cooper customization shop in Clinton Township, had a number of crazy looking vehicles on display. One blue Mini Hardtop featured bright pink mirror caps and rims. Another had a sticker decal that read, "It's not cute, it's mean."

Two ladies from Indiana decorated their yellow Mini Cooper to include Minions from the movie "Despicable Me." Another motorist had a custom painted decal on his cream-colored Mini of a British flag wrapped around the hood. A lot of people walking around were talking about the only pink-colored Mini out of the 1,319 that made the trip. And a handful of owners installed a car-length decal of the Mackinac Bridge on their driver's side to advertise the Mini on the Mack event.

Looks are important, but other attendees like their Mini Cooper for the speed.

Cindy Hanson's Cooper S with true turbo can go pretty fast, she said.

"And she showed us how fast it go on some of the turns out here," her mother Sue Wilson said. "Sometimes she goes a little too fast."

Doug Sholte, of Indianapolis, tested the speed of his Mini Cooper. He drove through the night to make it in time. It should take about nine hours to make it to the bridge, but he says he was well-under that time.

"There must have been a good tail-wind on the way up," he said with a grin.

He isn't disappointed a world record wasn't broken.

"In fact, it doesn't break my heart at all," he said. "I love this event and can't wait to come back and try again."

Nothing is official yet, but Mini enthusiasts have already taken to social media to petition for a 2017 attempt.

"Ready to come back in 2017 and get it!" said Peggy Dyer Dowker.

"We will do it next time," said Mike Rudolph, of New Jersey.

For now, the fine people of London get to hang onto their record for presumedly another two years.

But they are taking notice.

Russell Cabble, who lives in Coventry, a city just east of Birmingham in the United Kingdom, congratulated the owners who took part in Saturday's event on Facebook.

"Big congrats from all the Mini fans in the U.K."

2. stephatron

stephatron New Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It was an awesome event. Everyone was enthusiastic, despite falling short. That's what I like to see. I do think some logistics could have been more helpful for some of us up there like a route sheet since some people got lost and didn't even get their vehicle counted. It was my second time going and I'm already making plans for 2017. And my car got some internet fame :)

3. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    The effort made The Bob and Tom Show this morning! A valiant effort.

4. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    I gather then, that the MINIs present DID set a record of sorts for MINIs on the bridge at Mackinac, right? I mean, just WHERE did the UK set THEIR record [surely not on the bridge at Mackinac]. Hell, the cost to ship all those MINIs over to the USA would plunge the UK into the red for the rest of this century! :arf:

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I thought the same thing. No Mackinac bridge in jolly ole England. :p

Good try by all of those that went to the great white north for the bridge drive. I'm sure you all had a fun time. :Thumbsup:

6. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Didn't someone here [in the USA] purchase one of England's olde bridges and stick it somewhere out West? Maybe in 2017, MINI USA could set a world record on THAT bridge. At least if the cars fell, it would just be into sand...not much H2O out there.

7. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    London bridge in Lake Havasu Arizona me thinks....

8. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0

Yep. Someone purchased London Bridge and had it disassembled and reassembled in Arizona. Problem was, they thought that they were purchasing the iconic Tower Bridge. DOH!!!!!

9. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Wouldn't it be better to try this somewhere more centrally located.

10. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    you'd think!!!! the area also needs to be able to handle all the people. Though some will just drive in the days event and head back home anyway.. but still could be 1000 people.

11. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    If the Brits established a world record with Minis on the Tower Bridge, almost all of the cars HAD to be Classics. A "new" MINI's weight alone makes for almost 2 Classics. Something is fishy here, and it ain't fish and chips! :ihih:

12. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    Lake Havasu, Arizona seems to be a 'touristy' type of town. I'm sure they could handle the crowds...but what would the drives be like? Curvey roads? Close by attractions? It could be a fun event...especially in the winter :).

13. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    To me this event is more like MTTS rather than MOTD. Count me out.

14. nxtMINI

nxtMINI Active Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Michigan
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    MOTM is being held in Michigan because MINI of Grand Rapids (dealer in Michigan) is actually organizing it, not MINI USA. If another dealer wants to organize it in another state, that's great. But MOTM will stay in Michigan.

15. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    MOTM has to stay in Michigan. Too darned difficult to move the Mac to another location. :)

16. Belhaven

Belhaven Active Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    There are an astonishing number of hotels, motels and B&Bs around Mackinaw City and St. Ignace. I'm not aware of anyone who wanted to go but could not find a room. Even our little motel (shout out for the Vindel Motel in Mackinaw City) wasn't fully booked.

17. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    #17 wmwny, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    ALASKA...I vote we all go to ALASKA. We can set a UNIVERSE record as we cram our MINIs onto Sarah Palin's "Highway[Bridge] to Nowhere"! What's a few quadrillion mosquitoes and wild beasties to contend with? We are MINI: World, BE AFRAID! I can just see all those MINI FINI trailer hitches and teardrop campers clogging the Can-Am highway on the way up and back! :ihih:

And, if you go far enough North, you'll be able to "see Russia" from your campsites!

18. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    My Welsh friend you have this all wrong. I suggest MINI's do the Mac & then head to Wisconsin for some sort of event.

Wait for it.....

macncheese-1.jpg

Mac & Cheese 2016
    be there. :arf:

19. buttonbag

buttonbag Active Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    Record or not, it was still a great time there and the weather was beautiful! Couldn't have asked for a better weekend to be there.

20. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Mackinac is beautiful about any time of year! Did you get over to the island? It's one of my favorite places to visit and have that lunch at the Grand Hotel!