1. BritAbroad

BritAbroad New Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #1 BritAbroad, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    Hey Experts,

I've just brought a second hand Mini Cooper S 2007 turbo and am really enjoying the drive. It has 51k miles but appears in good shape. However, I'm noticing a odd whirring sound when I drive above 40 coming from the front of the car. It gets louder between 40 and 55 and then just stays the same. If I put my foot on the clutch it makes no difference to the sound. The only that can make it a little louder is if I put the brakes on.

I've posted a video but as I've a crap phone you can't hear it as loudly as it sounds in the car. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? I've taken it to my local garage and they can't see anything wrong with the transmission or bearings. I know nothing about cars but it sounds like a circular, repeating sound. See if you can hear it.

[ame=http://youtu.be/5N7v8PkCT4w]Mini Cooper S 2007 - Whirring Sound??? Any ideas? - YouTube[/ame]

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks

2. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Currently still working in electric motors sales a
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Does the sound change with vehicle speed? In other words, does it get faster or slower as you go faster or slower? You're right about not really being able to tell although you were only driving at a steady state speed so any changes weren't obvious either. And given the question about changing with speed, is it related to road speed or engine speed? i.e. if you heard noise X at 50 MPH in 6th is it different if you downshift to 5th or 4th?

Obviously there are many mechanical things it could be like a bearing or CV joint (do they have them in the Cooper?) If it doesn't change with the engine speed, it could be air related and something in the grill are could be resonating.

Just thinking out loud here.

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4