Question Most liked posts in thread: MINI Cooper Won't Start

1. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,027 / 6 / -5
    Welcome to Motoring Alliance the bestest MINI forum on the interweb !!

2. rudd

rudd New Member

Feb 8, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    well, it suddenly start after doing the ecu reset, turn off the key, and try starting it again.

3. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    What year is your MINI? How did you reset the ECU using the odometer? A new batter needs to be registered on most models but they will start and run w/o registration. I'd double check your connections.

4. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Welcome! Please provide some more details and I’m sure someone will be able to help.

5. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    @rudd - depending on the year/model there will be different things to check. Essentially you are saying when you try to start, it does nothing? No noise.. nothing?

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA! We never tell someone to do a search and we will answer a question any time it is asked.
    Check your cables are tight and clean but like others have said we need to know the year and model. Without knowing the year Mini you have the only other thing I can think of it to disconnect your battery for 15 or 20 min. This resets may help.

Reset the ecu using the odometer? Please explain

7. rudd

rudd New Member

Feb 8, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    TQ MCSC02, Sully, 00MINI, Zapski, Qik..

Mine i believe the 2002 Gen 1 NA.

Resetting ECU by odometer is by pressing the trip button, turn the key to Position 1, scroll to 19, press the trip button again to 21, then reset.

I'll have a check on the cables (but pretty sure its tight as i am the one tightening the bolts/nuts on the battery cables) :)

When i want to start it, everything is normal. dashboard indicator.. sound.. (there is always like robotic sound when u started the car.. love it.. ha ha..) but, when turning the key to "start", nothing happened. no cranking, no sound of relay (if there is).. just a complete moment of silence..

all indicators on dashboard is appearing normally and no sign of weak battery (its new as per what i've mentioned before)..

Im worried that it will happened again in the future as the car suddenly start after i do the resetting (if what i did was a ecu reset). There were days of course, my wife is driving it and im worried about the reliability now mini.jpg .

8. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    @rudd - OK, so you did the ECU reset (I think) and it starts. Do you have to do that over each time, or was it a one time thing?