MINI Coopers are rubbish

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RonsMinnie, Jan 7, 2010.

1. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
  2. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    Ha! You got me. Thought your were trolling and I took the bait...

Saw this previously on U-tube, but it's still pretty funny.

3. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Got me too:lol: Saw the other day somewhere.

Mark

4. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Mini did boxes, and FIAT did girls in Bikinis? Fiat 1, Mini 0.....

Matt

5. CFMINI

CFMINI New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Tech Support
    Corona, CA
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    We always say that the Scion Xb is the box the MINI came in!! And then you stuff that inside a Ford Flex, kinda like a turducken.....:lol:

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Yeah..."Flescini" doesn't roll of the tongue so well...

7. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    But what an awesome car cover a giant cardboard box with a MINI on it would make...:lol:

8. MightyStripes

MightyStripes New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Oct 29, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree Girls are better :)

9. yellowbritishrocket

yellowbritishrocket Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    i dunno bout you all but i think this advertising better lol

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjAqeU7FVbY[/ame]

10. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    That would be neat.

Jim

11. Jabbles

Jabbles New Member

May 4, 2009
    HVAC service
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    That would make a great fort.

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Behind The Scenes

[​IMG]

[Lisa Merelle (account manager) | Thom van Rijckevorsel (art director) | Thomas Reinhold (copywriter)]

How did they come up with the idea?

Mini has had a 99-Euro a month campaign happening for while in Amsterdam. The team approached Mini suggesting some tactic to end the promotion on a high note—something ‘out of the box.’ (Ended up literally being the case!) The idea didn’t take weeks of brain grinding… It popped into the team’s head as Christmastime was approaching… What a clever way to promote how affordable owning a Mini could be. The affordable gift giving theme was a no brainer. Pitching the idea to Mini could have gotten sticky. There were many concerns that the team had (that we reading DailyFix have also wondered)… And it was the end of the year – so budget was slim. It cost under 5,000 Euro to have the boxes produced; not the hundreds of thousands of dollars for a traditional campaign.

What did they think about Heineken’s “big box in the trash” tactic that happened two weeks before the Mini project?

To the team’s surprise, while their boxes were being printed, Heineken—as part of their Walk-In Fridge campaign (Heineken Walk-In Fridge TV spot) – executed an uncomfortably similar “empty box in the trash” tactic. The Mini team nearly killed the program…The last thing an agency wants to do is release an idea that isn’t fresh. They decided the responsible use of the client’s fund was to go forward. And I’m glad they did. Yes, the Heineken approach is clever. Neat idea—the appearance that people are installing walk-in refrigerators in their homes. Just like we see in the commercial! However, the Mini box stacked with the rest of the Christmas toy packaging did a great job supporting the fun, affordability, and smallness of the product.

Wasn’t it a bit environmentally irresponsible to “make trash” in the city? / How did they dispose of the 12 cartons that were throughout the city?

Here’s the scoop. The team produced only four cartons. (You can see them in the below picture – one expanded, the other three folded). They put them in place long enough for people to clamor around them, take pictures, run to get friends… Then they moved them to a new location, totalling 12 locations. People were upset when the boxes were being removed by the team to be put in a new location… Amsterdammers wanted to bring friends back and come back with their cameras.

[​IMG]

The team has the boxes in the office garage. BMW/Mini wants one for a souvenir, the team is planning on keeping one, and the last two will be properly recycled. So our fears of adding trash to the city, creating waste, and leaving behind a mess were unfounded. The team acted responsibly (part of what they promised the client). Clever AND responsible. Speaking of which, I asked for some more information about the agency, since the website is all in Dutch. I wanted to share the mission of UbachsWisbrun/JWT… To “give brands long term success and growth by creating great advertising that is true to the real character and real drive of the brand, using all possibilities we have to connect to people.” I think they do a great job at this. In closing, I hope you enjoyed the “behind the scenes” access the team has provided us. And, thank you for the comments and the flurry of “re-tweets” of the original article on Twitter.