Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Classic Mini' started by Minidave, Oct 21, 2018.
Who hoo Dave’s back with mini parts and pictures.
Finished up the rear subframe for the Moke today, I had a tough time getting one of the radius arm brackets to line up, but the 3lb BFH took care of the issue and it all fit up fine once I was done. I needed to finish this so I can get on with the Innocenti. Here are a couple of pics of what I was doing.....
If you dont keep this one someone will be getting a very very nice mini.
Yup and I know if I get a classic the first place it will go “by truck” is MiniDave’s for a complete “dave all mechanical” restoration treatment.
Tonight it was the brake calipers turn.....I split them and there was still clear fluid in them BUT, the pistons were stuck tight. I was looking online for that special set of piston removal pliers when I had a brainstorm - my neighbor up the street is a plumber - so I called to see if he had an internal pipe tool big enough and he did. It only took a few min to get all 4 of them broke loose, then with air power they all eventually popped out. I was surprised to see they were all clean, no rust or pitting in them at all, but boy howdy were they stuck tight!
So I'll get the caliper halves blasted and painted, then after they cure for a couple of days I'll reassemble them - I already have my tube of Dunlop red grease and I have new seal kits and those impossible to find intermediate seals that go between the caliper halves.
In the past, when I couldn't get a piston out I've resorted to fitting a plug with a zerk fitting and using a grease gun to force them out -doesn't damage the piston but leaves a big mess to clean up! Glad I didn't have to go there with these.
I cleaned up and painted the calipers - a coat of etch primer and the stainless steel topcoat went on well and dried quickly, allowing me to install the new seals and put them together tonight, and add them to the pile of parts ready to go back on the car.
Excellent work Dave!
Some more cleanup work, the rear brake backing plates were well past it, so my partner sent some used ones up from his shop, I cleaned them all up, gave them a good coat of etch primer, then brushed on a coat of black Rustoleum. I think they turned out well......
I also built up some air cleaners…..the ones that were on the car were filthy, but I could not find replacements the same size, so we cooked up a good work around. I bought some inexpensive foam filters from Victoria British, my partner Dan found some K&N style filters online that fit a VW, and they fit the VB cans perfectly, Once I modified the stub stack slightly, it all bolted together and worked perfectly. Result! as Edd and Ant would say!
Great work Dave!
I finished all the Moke suspension and brakes - front and rear - and the owner came and got them, freeing up a lot of room in my shop.
Next up I tackled the carbs off the Inno...I was amazed how badly they were stuck together and gooed up from the old gasoline! I had to use a hammer and drift to get the main jet out of its holder. once apart I took it all over to a friend's and used his fine glass bead blaster to clean everything up and brought it all back to the shop for reassembly. I had a complete rebuild kit on hand so I had all the gaskets, new main jets and needles I needed. Took a while to figure out how all the linkage bits went back together but it's done now.
Next project - either tear the motor down or swap the steering rack - haven't decided which way to jump just yet,....but I may do the steering rack first so I can stick the front subframe back in place while I do the engine. When you have a small shop you have to do things in a sequence that leaves you enough room to work.
some before/after pics
A few more....
And the grand finale....as long as they work as well as they look, I'm a happy camper.
Loving this thread. I know what you mean about small shop and getting things done so you have room to do the next item.
I'm happy to have a shop at all, I know a lot of guys don't....plus mine has both heat and A/C, although when it's 16* out like today it's just tooo cold to work. My shop isn't THAT small, but it's full of immovable objects right now, with the Jag needing to get recommissioned and the Inno on the rack without any suspension at the moment. I've got almost 500 sq ft when it's empty - it just never is. It's just a 2 car garage with one side extended - I've considered adding a section straight onto the back with a roll up garage door to separate them....I'd have to remove that back wall where the door is to do it, but I could gain at least another 400 sq ft that way.
These pics were taken right after I did a complete reorganization and clean up of the shop, built in some tool cabinets, took down all the shelving and painted everything. since then I've added a lot of storage racking and it's pretty full again.