MINI John Cooper Works Championship Tuning Kit

Discussion in 'MINI News and Articles' started by Steve, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    MINI is back in rallying. With the MINI John Cooper Works CHAMPIONSHIP tuning package, owners of a MINI Cooper S or SD Countryman can now also take that pure rally feeling home.

[​IMG]

Rally and MINI are made for each other – just like MINI and that world-famous go-kart feeling. MINI sensationally celebrated success at the legendary Monte Carlo Rally in the 1960s. At the start of this year, the MINI brand returned to the world of rallying with the MINI WRC Team in the FIA World Rally Championship (WRC) – and with great success.

Experienced works drivers Dani Sordo and Kris Meeke lined up in the MINI John Cooper Works WRC at six of this year's rallies and immediately set about challenging the leading teams. Now it is time for you to take that rally feeling home – with the MINI John Cooper Works CHAMPIONSHIP tuning package.

The accessories package, which is available for the MINI Cooper S and SD Countryman, is homage to MINI's new rally star and allows MINI fans to experience the allure of rallying in their own MINI. The exclusive package features the dynamic, sporty character for which MINI is renowned, and thus guarantees greater adrenalin and fun.

The tuning package underlines the rallying character of the MINI Cooper S and SD Countryman. Typical features include the go-faster stripes in the design of a chequered flag and the number 37 on the side of the car: a homage to the MINI John Cooper Works WRC that Dani Sordo currently drives in the WRC, and with which Paddy Hopkirk laid the foundations for MINI's success in the 1960s with victory at the 1964 Monte Carlo Rally.

The accessories kit also includes side scuttles in a special package design, additional headlights under the motto "four eyes are better than two" to improve your view of the road, and a John Cooper Works aerodynamics package in the colour of your car. This once again underlines the power of the car and makes it even more dynamic to drive.

Also available as an option is a Double Spoke R129 alloy set in matt black, which further emphasises the sporty character of the MINI. The accessories can be applied to almost any colour, but obviously best portrays that rally character on Pure Red (YB16) with a white roof and white wing mirrors.

The package is available now in MINI dealerships and is guaranteed to set your pulse racing.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Personally I don't see how they can call it a "tuning" kit...

I also wonder whether you have to buy the full kit as a complete package or will be able to buy the bits you like. I know some people have asked about where they can get those side checkers.

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    A fine decal package that will make you look like a wanna be rally racer. No go, all show. Wonder how much folks will be gouged for this tuna kit? :confused5:

4. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I go excited reading the title then was disapointed when I saw that it was just "dress-up" for your Countryman. It's like they aren't even trying anymore.

"Hey! Look! It has stickurzzzz." *facepalm* :rolleyes:

5. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
  6. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Yes, I got the flash in email this AM, I was at our local long term dealer on Wednesday and played 50 questions with the GM, SM and Parts Manager.

No JCW Countryman Tuning kit, it is on the MINI retail price list and is over $3K with installation charges, aka no discounts noted. :mad2:

Guess we wait for a real JCW engine in the CM or perhaps a 2.0L BWM engine adapted to the CM, but then it is a BMW with wings.

Don

Just a little more pizzazz is all I want in our CM. :fingerscrossed:

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Gaaaaack.....????

8. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Tuner kit? Really MINI......:(

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    It is a tuna kit, because this is very fishy.... :eek:ut:

10. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Wow nice Euro-trash sticker kit.

11. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Optical tuning?

After a few similar comments posted on their Facebook page someone from MINI Motorsport replied "Hi everybody, you are absolutely right that one can argue about the different sorts of tuning options. Maybe we can all settle on calling this optical tuning which all components included in this kit certainly are."

:crazy:

12. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    :skep: Whaa?? :skep:

13. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I'm gonna call BS on that one...

But if it makes y'all feel any better, they do the same thing on the BMW side and call it the Motorsport package. Door sills, //M steering wheel, and bigger/cooler wheels. But they don't call it a "tuning kit."

14. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    John Cooper is turning over in his grave right now......

To think MINI is trying to cash in, by charging big bucks for something that's little more than stickers and a few baubles and attaching John's name and accomplishments to it and then calling it a tuning kit is just wrong. I fear someday the factory JCW option will will be nothing more than a few vinyl stickers. This may very well be the new dawn.

15. MaverickGun

MaverickGun New Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    If I wanted optical tuning, I'd buy a pair of glasses :D