2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Mini Newbie - Please make sense of engine mods

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by fastrack1, Aug 17, 2010.

1. fastrack1

fastrack1 New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Just got a 2008 Mini S and want to modify it some. Can anyone please give me a starting point and what to do? I've done some research and would love some advice on exhaust, pully change, air intakes and eventually a custom tune. I'm not trying to turn it into a track car, but a daily driver with some increased HP.

What kind of HP increase can I get from a custom tune?

Any input of any type on engine modifications for hp increase would be greatly appreciated. I don't have a unlimited budget but have some money to throw at it.

Thanks in advance.

2. YesIFit

YesIFit New Member

May 25, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    You said your car is an '08, which means it's turbocharged, not supercharged, so a pulley isn't applicable.

Boost tubes are probably your best bang for a cheap buck, along with a a CAI/drop in filter, exhaust, and bigger intercooler. As far as tunes go, there's RMW, Mynes, and Cobb's AccesPort, and opinions on them all vary.

I'm running a DDM Streetworks intake, hot side boost tube, and a custom Magnaflow cat-back ... that combo has given me a bit of power without too much $$, plus no CEL's or other problems.

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I was going to make the same comment, but decided to wait to see if the OP was questioning a lightened crank pulley.:D

4. fastrack1

fastrack1 New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Yes, sorry about the pulley. I do realize that :D

Are the boost tubes a good DIY for a learner? And how much HP does the Magnaflow give you and how does it compare to the DDM exhaust? The DDM seems like its a bolt-on. Is the Magnaflow? I just listened to both online and they sound great.

5. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Or

you could save your money and follow Keiths thread on doing an R56 head and cams. Then tune the sucker and have at it!

ICs are weak points on the car as well.

Matt

6. Rooster

Rooster New Member

May 22, 2009
    Systems Engineer
    West Hollywood, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Exhaust doesn't usually do much for a car other then make it SOUND fast.

Since you've got a late model Cooper with a turbo, a downpipe might be a very good thing to think about though. It'll help your turbo spool up faster and looks to be a fairly easy thing to install at home.

It'll probably do more then an exhaust AND air intake will... at least it did on my twin turbo 300ZX...

The Mynes guys have a little yellow Cooper S setup for racing. And it SCOOTS. I think they're still running stock boost levels as well. Might want to search here for their posts and see what they've done?

7. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    An exhaust system matched to the exhaust flow CFM will enhance the performance (thermal property of exhaust or heated air flow or in study, laws of thermodynamics ).For a thermodynamic cycle the net heat supplied to the system equals the net work done by the system. Using this first basic law you may see how a less efficient exhaust system can inhibit power levels.

You can tailor the degree of sound for your personal taste by careful application of chosen exhaust system components as an example wrapping the pipes.

8. Rooster

Rooster New Member

May 22, 2009
    Systems Engineer
    West Hollywood, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    While that's true, can we agree that most off-the-shelf "systems" for the Minis are extremely expensive for the performance gains you'd get on a stock or close to stock Mini?

Plus, no itchy hands required with the wrap! (Although I envy you and the time and effort spent doing so...) :cornut:

9. fastrack1

fastrack1 New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Where is that thread? I've done some searching and can't find it. A link would be great :Thumbsup:

10. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I believe he is referring to my build thread here: http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/project-car-builds/3745-cams-headwork-track-build.html

This is all pretty new territory with little to no documentation. I would NOT recommend this for the faint of heart.

If you are looking for an improvement for a street driven car I would get an aftermarket downpipe back exhaust with a second cat delete and a tune. The engines in the R56 are very well engineered from the manufacturer and you will only get small gains by replacing parts.

I recommend the exhaust, not that it will really make more power, but the sound is nice and has a very good placebo effect. The tune is really where you will notice power. Both Mynes and RMW produce good tunes. I would stay away from the ALTA tune for quite a while. Initially it looks to make very good power, but they have a horrible track record with customers.

I would also stay away from any aftermarket downpipe, yes you will make more power, but you will almost 100% have a CEL because of it. The ECU's on these cars are extremely picky.

If you were going to be driving in the track, I would recommend a larger intercooler, helix and forge both make good units. If you are going to be doing an intercooler, I would say go ahead and throw on an NM hot side boost tube. It eliminates the stock muffler that is a restriction in the intake system.

11. fastrack1

fastrack1 New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all that. To sum it up, the logical order of events would be:

1. Catback Exhaust (will this create a CEL?)
    2. Intercooler with hot side boost tube
    3. Custom tune (I assume you want this AFTER the above mods?)

Will all downpipes cause a CEL? Can I pick up 30-40 hp with these mods and still have a refined daily driver? Any reason not to do any of this stuff? Thanks again for the help. Learned tons just this morning :)

12. fastrack1

fastrack1 New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all that. To sum it up, the logical order of events would be:

1. Catback Exhaust (will this create a CEL?)
    2. Intercooler with hot side boost tube
    3. Custom tune (I assume you want this AFTER the above mods?)

Will all downpipes cause a CEL? Can I pick up 30-40 hp with these mods and still have a refined daily driver? Any reason not to do any of this stuff? Thanks again for the help. Learned tons just this morning :)

13. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Depending on what your priorities are that could be the correct order. If you primary are looking for more power then get the tune first. I am not sure how much money you are looking to spend, some of these items are not super cheap. The tune is really the only thing that is going to actually make power. The catback will make a little bit, but it is mostly just a nice sound and will not cause a CEL. The intercooler will make power in that it will keep you IAT (intake air temps) cooler, which will allow the ECU to add more fuel as the air is more dense. I have not done any logging to determine if most people are going to heat soak the stock intercooler during daily driving. I mostly recommended it if you track your car.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that I don't think any or all of these things will give you an additional 30-40hp. I would guess your delta increase on the tune is going to be around 20hp, maybe a little more, the tuners are learning more about our cars every day. The biggest thing you will notice is more area under the curve. Your car will make peak, or almost peak power much sooner and keep it for longer.

14. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    For as far as hard parts go the Forge intercooler will be great bang for your buck and actually gain you power.
    Tuning will also net you good gains, we do custom tuning also, but don't recomend it until you've completed your build of hard parts. Otherwise you'll require retuning. We do have our quicktune or some call canned tune that will net about 20hp on a standard cooper S that is super safe to continue adding parts until your ready for a complete dyno tune.

As for exhaust save your money, ALL downpipes cause check engine lights, even the one I make.
    Put your money in the NM discharge and air charge pipes. They are good reliable gains.

Call us if you need more advise.
    WAY

15. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for the lack of mention on the tune... I forgot you were tuning as well.

Way will help take good care of you.

16. fastrack1

fastrack1 New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I am happy to tune first, but I thought I read that if you make mods after that, such as exhaust and intercooler, that you will potentially need to retune. Is that incorrect? I'd rather spend the money on the tune and do the other mods as I have the cash, but was under the impression that the tune should be last.

17. fastrack1

fastrack1 New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I think you just answered the question I just posted about when to tune. I'm in SC and can easily hit GA for a quick tune, which is probably a great place for me to start. What will that run or do I just need to call?

18. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Ideally you would do the intercooler and hot side pipe first. But let's start to add all this up, intercooler is $710, hot side pipe is $240 and a tune with dyno time is probably $750. If that is within what you are wanting to spend right away, then by all means get the parts first and then tune your car. Just know that most of the improvements will be seen by just a tune alone. It is all a question of how far you are wanting to go.

19. Rooster

Rooster New Member

May 22, 2009
    Systems Engineer
    West Hollywood, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Way knows what he speaks of. I'd follow his advice. :Thumbsup:

20. fastrack1

fastrack1 New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everybody. I'm going to mini-tune now and then add intercooler and hot side pipe over the next few months and then do a full tune & dyno. Way is down in Atlanta and a close run for me. Thanks for helping the new guy out!