Mini on the Podium at USTCC

Discussion in 'Racing MINIs' started by rsstopper, Sep 13, 2009.

Tags:
  1. rsstopper

rsstopper New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Owen Trinkler piloted the RSR Motorsports, R56 Mini Challenge racer to a third place finish at the NASA National Championships today in Salt Lake City. Starting from the 3rd position in the US Touring Car Championship finals, Owen held his starting position putting a Mini on the podium for the 1st time this season.

Owen won the Thursday qualifying race and placed 2nd in the Friday event. Owen was able to challenge for the lead early but eventually, was outclassed by two much more powerful cars. Regardless, it was a very successful event with 3 Mini's in the top six. Congrats to Rich Peterson and 'Minispeeder' who raced their R53's in the event also.

The racing continues on Sunday where Randy Smalley will contest the GTS3 class (German Touring Car Series) and PTB class (Performance Touring). Rick Jonson and Sara Cattaneo will contest PTC And Minispeeder will return in GTS3.

We are hoping for more podiums on Sunday.

2. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    great stuff!

3. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Nice, did anyone capture some pictures or video? Wish I could be there this weekend.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Well done RSR & Owen!

'Minispeeder'? Hmmm, is that Vince Parker (minispeedrcr)?

5. UKCoopeR

UKCoopeR Active Member

May 21, 2009
    VA,USA and UK
    Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Great Results, Congrats!!!

6. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Yep, I head about it last night via my text message. After a short discussion it was decided that cheating was involved. <VBG>

7. rsstopper

rsstopper New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Clarification: Cheating by others possibly . . . not by us! :D

8. minispeedrcr

minispeedrcr New Member

May 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes that would be me, Minispeedrcr (Vince Parker). I was having handleing issues but was able to place 7th behind the much improved Rich Peterson who placed 6th but had lap times equal to Owen. I also broke a few parts starting on the first lap of practice when I went off track and broke the front splitter and bumper. That also broke the supercharger belt. The next day the crank pully shattered (Alta lightweight) so missed a few sessions. New pully on but during the USTCC race on Saturday started to have heat soak and loss of power. During the Sunday warmup for the GTS3 race noticed a water leak and more overheating, pulled in and found oil in the water so probably a head gasket leak caused when the belt or crank pully broke.
    So missed the final race. Overall a good experience and met a lot of fast Mini folk. Report and pics to follow.

9. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Whoa, splitter, bumper, s-charger belt, crank pulley, head gasket.....fun weekend, eh? Won't be able to pick up a replacement for that splitter off the shelf.....custom, right?

10. justintime

justintime New Member

Sep 7, 2009
    hunting manbearpig
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    danng vince tough weekend. too bad it was at nats too haha.

11. minispeedrcr

minispeedrcr New Member

May 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's all good. Learned alot and met all the right people. Hanging around the other minis we were able to find out what makes them go fast. We have the power just need to improve the handleing to get the power to the pavement. Hopefully the engine just needs a head gasket and no other damage was done. My budget for the year was gone a while ago. While we were at nationals we took the coilovers off my pit crews car and tried them on Saturday and gained 1.5 seconds a lap. Still need to go harder on the rear to get the car to rotate enough so the front isn't pushing.