Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to M/A Steven. A little more information would be helpful. Mileage for one. Do you have any previous service records? The more you tell us, the better we can help you. And, pic's are always appreciated. :)

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Post pictures of your whole car so we know what we are dealing with. We don’t really need shots of the underside, just pictures from the top of the motor and car.

Where are you located? USA ?

3. Steven Horne

Steven Horne New Member

Feb 23, 2019
    Male
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for replying.

It’s done 85k and only a couple of stamps in the book from a few years ago.

It runs well but needs oil more frequently.

No visible signs of oil, would I have to get underneath it to take useful photos?

Cheers
    S

4. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A, Stephen! My MINIs are all Gen 1s so I cannot be of help here. Even so, there are a lot of guys here who have the experience with Gen 2s and hopefully can be far more helpful than I.

Good Luck and welcome again!

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Is it a Cooper S?
    If so these are signs of posable carbon build up on the intake valves. The S has an N14 engine that is direct injection. Because the gas is injected directly into the cylinder It does not keep then intake valves clean from the oil vapor from the PVC system. Once it starts to build up in the valves the engine starts to run rich due to decreased air flow causing ruff idling/running and oil consumption goes up. This is fixed by having the intake Walnut blasted around 50,000 miles. This can cost anywhere from $300-$800. If the car does have carbon build up in the intake and you don't address it you will destroy the motor.

If the car is a non S just a Cooper none of that applies. If you don't do your own work and need to find a shop close to you that knows how to work on MINIs someone here may be able to help.

Welcome to MA.