Mini News Mini Paceman, Coupe/Roadster may not be replaced

Discussion in 'MINI News and Articles' started by Nathan, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    GENEVA -- Mini may not replace its Coupe/Roadster and Paceman cars. Instead the BMW Group subsidiary will focus on three "pillar" models.

Mini needs to be ''more relevant for more people,'' Oliver Friedmann, the brand head of product management, told Automotive News Europe at the auto show here. ''Our first priority is to roll out a portfolio that has strong pillars and to be absolutely clear what each stands for.''

Friedmann identified the Mini hatchback and the Countryman SUV as two pillars of the brand. The potential third pillar is a compact-sized model based on the Clubman concept shown in Geneva. If the concept is built, "it will be a separate strong pillar,'' he said.

With the new focus, the hatchback-based Coupe and Roadster are unlikely to continue. ''It’s not decided but most probably this is not a priority,'' Friedmann said.

The Paceman, which is a coupe version of the five-door Countryman, could also be dropped when the Countryman is eventually replaced. "The Paceman is also not a first priority,'' Friedmann said.

Source - http://europe.autonews.com/article/20140308/ANE/140309860/mini-paceman-coupe-roadster-may-not-be-replaced

2. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Funny with the title saying one thing and the article saying something else!!! If it goes like what Friedmann says they will be gone along with the Paceman.. That's how I read it atleast.. I was hoping for one more Gen of the Coupe to get the new motor..Assuming it proves relible..

3. jerryb2005mcs

jerryb2005mcs New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Sr. Technical Consultant for company in the energy
    Spokane, WA
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    What does "more relevant to more people" really mean? Does it mean that Mini's are going to get larger and blander to give them broader appeal?
    I'd prefer they went smaller (ala R53) and gave them all the All4 option. I'd love an AWD R53!

And on the Mini USA site, the Build Your Own doesn't have an option for a hardtop JCW! What!? Best you can do is a Paceman?

4. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    That's probably because the JCW version of the F56 isn't coming right away.

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Another great plan by BMW/MINI get rid of the two cars that actually look 1/2 decent and make more SUV's. :eek:ut:

IDIOTS :rolleyes::mad2::mad5::mad2:

6. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    Make sense to keep your top three selling models and drop the three lowest selling.

7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    See last line in my post for my reply.

8. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I think the coupe/roadster would sell more if they had more power then the Cooper. Give up some room but gain power!! People look at them and their like it's kinda cool but it's not faster/quicker then the regular hardtop and you give up lots of space.

9. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    I think you are right. I wonder if the coupe/roadster would work better as a JCW only halo car (with more hp/torque than a JCW Hatch, CM, Clubby), maybe even make it RWD. While you are at it, make it a folding hardtop and eliminate the need to have two models.

10. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    AWD is usually heavy but Getreg made an AWD R53 back in 06 for testing. Guess the powers that be weren't impressed enough to make it..

11. Z06_Pilot

Z06_Pilot Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jun 12, 2013
    Network Design Engineer
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    OK, two things here:
    1. I agree with you completely. they make them more bland to appeal to more "BMW-ish" people......window switches moved to door, dinner plate speedo, gone..."who puts a speedometer in the center of a car"?-quoting soccer mom and john q. public on the JD Power survey form :mad2: A/C controls made more ergonomic and no longer in the cool shape of the Mini logo, etc.

2.I totally disagree with your idea to go smaller (ala R53), because I wouldn't be able to fit in it. I would be like driving the clown car from the circus, with my head stuck out the top :biggrin5:

12. Th3Stig

Th3Stig New Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I have no objection to trying to sell more cars, comply with safety and environmental regs, boost power and improve efficiency. No sense in getting all misty eyed about the R53, it had its chance and this is business. The brand hopefully will show a renewed R53 like robustness to modifications no matter the size and colors and quantity of accent lighting.

13. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Sadly us the ''car nuts'' are the minority in the MINI car buying world. They are selling more cars to the people that just think it's a cute DD. Average age of a mini owner is raising, and with it is the cost and the length of it. I recently tried to find the length of the 1st year clubman compared to the current Cooper hardtop. ( couldn't find it for sure. Found varying numbers ) It has got to be about the same length now. If they drop the coupe they probably won't be making another small car again. At least not anytime soon.

14. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I am not all misty eyed about the R53 because I own one and it is still the best MINI to own. The fact is without the mighty First Gens and their owners you would not have a MINI to buy now.

We are the ones that bought this unique little car because it was "minimal" and FUN. We are also the ones that made this car and brand so successful.
    Your welcome, now you all don't have to drive your Honda Accords or Toyota Camry's anymore.

Our cars are NOT just another techie POS that others manufactures are pushing. Our cars are more about the people that bought them and never did we buy the for fuel milage or to be trendy. That's what the masses are doing now as they buy the latest ugly MINI's.

I am very happy I own an R53 the First of the new retro MINI's. I will not be buying another modern one because they are just ugly little BMW's. Just wait until the little "trendy" MINI falls by the wayside and people realize how over priced and non-reliable they are. (ALL things we already know)

15. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    Yep every R53 owner was/is an enthusiast, which is why every single one of them is on MA or NAM. Let's be honest and admit that there were many people who bought it because it was cute, fuel efficient, and trendy.

16. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0

Lol wow. Why do you always seem to take the us vs them stance? I appreciate the r53, but owners of it aren't somehow more or an "enthusiast" because they have one. If r56 owners had not bought their MINIs couldn't the argument be made that the r53 didn't do a good job of establishing the brand? IF that did happen I'm sure someone who owned an r53 would argue the r56 wasn't a worthy successor so on, so forth blah blah. If you like Mini/MINI then welcome, but all this chest thumping about the superior model wears thin. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but I'd like to think there's enough common ground across the brand for us all to talk about what we like or what we've done to improve our chosen model.

17. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    ^^^^^ does the truth hurt? Stop crying, R56 owners had no choice but to buy that POS because MINI stopped making a good car and went with the cheaper to make poor Prince walnut car. "The turdblow"

How many people traded R56's for used R53? lots and why? Better car all around.

Why us against them? Because most newer MINI owners are bandwagon owners and are only buying the car for gas milage and techie BS. This is not what the original mini and the first gen MINI's are about.

You don't get it and I understand that because you have to own one to know.

18. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    That must put me in the minority. I have owned an R50, an R53, an R56 (turbo LCI), and my present R59 Justa-Cooper. I can easily say that my R59 has given me the most all-around fun and satisfaction of any of the four.

I will actually not be all that disappointed if the Roadster is discontinued. I have been seriously considering keeping this one for a while. With the promise of them becoming more rare (and with Chili Red being reserved for special models only), I may have just made up my mind. :aureola:

19. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Lets dial back the rhetoric please.

The 1st generation is not the great almighty MINI. It is a more raw vehicle than the 2nd generation. I expect the 3rd generation will be more refined over the previous one. Thats the way it works out there.

We share a like for a common type car around here. We all have our preferences and reasons for the ones we like.

Re-sheath those daggers.

20. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0

Lol ok dude. Whatever you need to tell yourself. Apparently opinion and "fact" are the same thing in your world.