MINI raises minimum mileage for scheduled maintenance

Discussion in 'MINI' started by TGS91, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    One of my first jobs while still in high school, I worked for a guy that had a MGB. If I remember correctly it was something like a 1963 and this was in 1969. So it was 6 years old. The guy never changed the oil or filter, and he was proud of that fact. All he did was check the oil level and top it up from time to time. I could never understand his thought process.

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Yes oil has gotten better. Not sure if filter tech has improved as much as oil has in that time. I went from a 3,000 mile changer to a 6,000 mile changer when I started using synthetic oil 20 years ago. Do what you feel is best, for me it is every 6,000 with an OEM filter.

3. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Here is a video of the "Dimple" magnetic drain plug.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjRmrYqKmPM&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Magnetic Oil Sump Drain Plug In Action[/ame]

4. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    All valid points and concerns. I will make a point to post to this thread every year with time, date, mileage (of oil change) and any problems or not. Then we will have some data. :Thumbsup:

Jim

5. M1N1Meg

M1N1Meg New Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Delaware, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was in my car the other day and realized that i just hit the 10,000 mile mark (yes i know...it's bad that i've only had it since july and have put that many miles on it. what can i say? i bought it to drive it!) So, i thought to myself, it should be about time to change the oil. After checking the service schedule on the on board computer it had the nerve to say i wasn't due for service for another 8,000 miles.

Does this seem wrong to anyone else? Since when was the mileage up that high for the first schedule check up? Doesn't 10 k or 12 k seem more realistic? I think I might call MINI tomorrow to check on it. With my luck MAG reset my counter while i was in there and gave them a bad review...

If it really isn't until 18,000 miles i will go this weekend and get the oil changed right away. I thought it was going to be sooner than that! Thoughts anyone?

6. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    The onboard computer is always evaluating condition of car (how you drive it, accelerator, gas mileage, where you drive it (hwy or city) oil condition, etc, etc, etc) So the scheduled service reading can be skewed based on all of the above

If I am reading correctly you have not done a oil change yet on the car. While that is what MINI recommends the unwritten recommendation by many MINI owners is to change oil every 5K. Well documented that your engine can get buildups of sludge and other nasty stuff following MINI's recommendation.

You can never change your oil too often on a MINI

7. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    As I said before, I'm following the manual. First oil change at exactly 15k and one year (they happened to hit at the same time). Second per the count down at 22814 (it was free). Third at 37531 (just a tad before another 15K, but I was going on a trip that would have taken it past). I don't use the counter any more, just figure when 15K or one year hits. Each change is at the dealer, so there is a record. All is well thus far.

Jim

8. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Oil is cheap when compared to tearing down an engine. Might be overkill but I change mine every 3000 miles and before and after everytime it goes to the track.... 2cents

9. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    All MINI really cares about (of course I can't prove this), is that the engine clears the warranty on the initial sales of the car. Once it's off warranty, then they look at the repair cost as a continuing sales. Kind of like the "lifetime" oil in the manual transmission. Lifetime as long as it's under warranty. Then, after that, you get to buy a whole new trans (from the dealer).
    Yeah, oil is cheap (relatively).:Thumbsup:

10. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Jim, you own or lease that MINI?

11. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup:

12. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Exactly.

13. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Well I just saw this thread and I've had two oil changes because of the computer asking for them. One at 15k'ish miles and another at 26k'ish miles. I check the oil regularly because my Service Writer warned me that these tend to burn oil. The condition of the oild has been decent everytime I've checked (admittedly only on the dipstick). Even before the 15k'ish oil change the level was good and the oil was dark brown (heading to highly carbonized).

I used to do all of my own service on previous cars (I have a car list posted somewhere...) As the model year of the cars have progressed I have seen marked improvement in the life and durability of the engines and oils used. Once, I am out of the warranty/service agreement period I'll go back to changing this stuff myself. Probably at regular intervals versus waiting for the computer. (Speaking of which anyone know how to reset the oil life warning on the R56?)

14. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
  15. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
  16. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Yeah, and the best part.....
    You don't need a card, it doesn't close at 9:00pm, and you can talk loud if you want. :D