2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Mini S R56 vs ND Miata

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by eazyace, Jul 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. eazyace

eazyace New Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well guys I have on the Miata forum reading about the cars and must say, what a nice car. I read somewhere there were they were comparing it to the mini and decided to come check it out.

Once reading and checking numbers and prices I must say I feel in love with Mini. Going back to Miata I read it all.

Miata is a fun car compared to Mini and that Mini are not reliable.

I see now that
    1. Mini S is faster in straight line races and twister,
    2. Mini S fits 2 more people
    3. Have not driven any but I'm sure its just as fun bc they say its a go kart. (go kart with an engine :cornut: who wouldn't think that's fun ?
    4. Better mpg

So far in my book Mini is winning in every aspect except Mini is not as sporty looking and that everyone claims Mini is not reliable. Other aspect is that its a fwd ;( and bad torque steer. (not a problem for me as I had a 320whp 370tq KO4 mkv gti

Could everyone chime (2012) and higher and elaborate if what people say (including some Mini owners in KBB say) About minis not being reliable.

Thanks

P.s what are some whip? Numbers for a tube mini.

2. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    My wife, her dad and I are all on our second Minis and have had no issues. Did have to go back for a recall but it was nothing big! Love our Minis and the Mini community is great!

3. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: I love my Margi (08 R56 BRG MCS/JCWm) and wouldn't trade her for anything. She is so much fun to drive. She is capable of being driven far better than I could ever drive her. R56s did have some teething problems mainly in the years 2007-09 but that seems to be over now with the advent of the N18 engine with a revamped PCV system. R53 people are so loyal that they truly believe that all other MINIs are a step down. Good Luck in your search, MINI or Miata, both good cars.:Thumbsup:

Jason

4. ljmattox

ljmattox Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    IT consultant
    St Louis metro USA
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    My 2012 Cooper S has no torque steer...2010's and later incorporated changes designed to minimize this effect. Seems to work in mine, I detect nothing at all, just linear power and a fun drive.

5. Apok

Apok New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Sadly, finance. The most boring job in the world.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    I get a little torque steer in my 2010 MCS, but less than what I used to get in my 94 Del Sol VTEC. And honestly I think right now a good bit of it might be able to be blamed on my bad wheel hub/bearing on the right side.

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I get some, especially if the road surface is somewhat irregular. Could be my tires, alignment, horsepower or LSD. Maybe a combination of all 4. Not a problem & it keeps my biceps in shape. Oh I have an R53 not an R56 so may justa maybe I'm wasting everyone's time.

:postcount

7. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    #7 countryboyshane, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
    If you're looking for a daily driver, the MINI is more practical than the Miata because of the extra room in the boot. More room for groceries, stuff, kids...etc. The Miata is a purpose built fun car. No extra seats so more people can get in back and weigh your car down! You own it to drive it, and that's it.

A broad statement like "the MINI is unreliable" is kind of unfair. All cars have problems. Even Hondas and Toyotas. The launch of the second generation MINI (2007+) had some start up pains like any car manufacturer does.

There also is no escaping the physics of a FWD car. Every FWD car has torque steer to some level. The MINI's is not that bad, but it's still there. You really need to go wide open throttle on corner exit to feel it. Out of the box, the MINI is a very fun car to drive that indeed does have a go cart feel. With some additional tweaks it can be a real monster at the track. If you are going for a pure driving car and nothing else, I think the Miata still has the edge, especially the lighter earlier models, but mostly because it's a well balanced RWD car. I would still go with an older used model. The Miata makes shocking weight gains every year:frown5:

I love my MINI. It is a nasty monster at the track, but I think long-term I will go back to a RWD just because at the end of the day no amount of mods will rewrite the laws of physics.

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    As the owner of a 95 Miata & an 06 MINI I can say they are both fun cars. That being said both cars are very different.

My Miata rwd, is light weight with less power, but superior handling. As a daily driver it would really suck. Room for you a friend & not much else.

My MINI is heavier with fwd but has more power & very good handling. As a daily driver it is big fun & much more usable. It has back seats that can accommodate a passenger if need be for a short distance. Fold the seats down & it will haul a lot of cargo.

As to which is faster around the track, my Miata is stock, my MINI is modded. I think it would be a coin toss as to which would win a race. I know if my Miata had the power of my MINI it would be no contest.

No one knows what the ND MX5 will be. Sort of makes it hard to compare against the MINI since it does not exist yet.

MINIs can have their issues, mine has, but it is so much fun that I'll except an issue or two. If my Miata had those issues I'd kick it to the curb. Guess that says which is more fun for me.

Good luck on your search. :D