Mini News MINI Sales Decrease Again in July 2016

Discussion in 'MINI News and Articles' started by Nathan, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    Will they bring it to the states?

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Iceberg Audi....

[​IMG]

3. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    With VW's issues, not sure it will be a big deal....and think they are distracted in a major way...
    Heck...VW is cutting models, and trims....and trying to pay for DIESEL-gate.
    Audi doesn't exactly have a huge/strong dealer network....
    My guess...we never see it...
    Heck...rumors are we might get Sodoka cars (a low cost VW brand).....seems down market cars sell in the US, and small overly premium, aka overly premium priced without Added content does not. Think MINI did the market research with MINI 3td gen cars... :mad2:

4. MoBoost

MoBoost Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Haven't heard that about Skoda possibly coming to the U.S. Seems like VW has enough to do cleaning up their mess without introducing another brand.
    http://www.skoda.co.uk/

5. JMC40

JMC40 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    O...H...!!
    Ratings:
    +373 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

I'm just going to leave this here...

6. Sig

Sig Member

Jun 5, 2016
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
  7. MiniKar

MiniKar Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Nevada
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I wish that the Mini design group would just try to keep the Mini, Mini !

It does not need to grow any larger.

My personal taste is no larger than Gen 2 and Gen 1 is just right.

Maybe the Mini customer service could use a little improvement too; try keeping your customers happy
    instead of trying to get into our wallets all the time.

With those few tips, you may improve your sales !

MiniKar

8. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    You can't sell cars to the masses with a niche dealer network. Now that sales are in the dumper who would want to open a new dealership.
    Most of the enthusiast that bought the first and second gen cars don't care for the third gen so your re-buy market is tiny.
    Then gas prices are down so not a lot of motivation to buy an economy car.

9. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Especially a way overpriced ugly "economy' car at that.

10. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Yeah....but the new 4 dr with a full TRUNK, no hatch that is rumored will be the MINI's answer to the 4dr Porsche!!
    Think, for just $60,000 you can drive in full retro "mini crown-vic" style!! Yup...they figured the name was kinda English!!
    Seriously....have heard a rumor of a MINI sedan....guess China wants sedans....

11. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    In 2002 when the MINI came here the prices of gas was low, But the car still did well. This was because it was, different, fun, and quirky. It set itself apart from the every day moving fortress called the SUV. You can't take a small car and make it just big enough for more people, and I mean just, then price it so high. This is what Mini has done. Their are to many better choices out there, 2017 Toyota Camry for 23,070. No I don't like the Camry it has no sole. Mini may not think Toyota is their competition but it is. Ok why buy a Countryman when I can get a Ford Escape 23,700 or Explorer 31,160? There is nothing special about Mini anymore. The original Mini (and lets be honest here, the real Mini) lasted so long because the company stayed true to itself and what it stood for. BMW said when it bought Mini it would stay true to its roots. I believe it did in the Gen 1&2 cars. Now they have forgot their roots and it is showing.

The other day I was telling a friend at work, that has a countryman and does not keep up with mini, about the new models. They were confused as to why Mini would have a 4 door and a Clubman, aren't we all. Does Mini need a Countryman and Clubman? Yes! Sure they need more than just hatchback, but they don't need a 4 door.
    Hatch for those that don't need room and want sporty and fun, Clubman for those that may need a little more room but want fun and sporty(the new Clubman is not what I am talking about the Gen2 is) and the Countryman for those that have to have the extra seats but don't want to leave the brand. The Clubman should have a option for rear seat delete for some one that wants it for deliveries. They MUST all retain the Mini sole.

Nothing I have said talks about styling. That is subject to taste. Some like the way the new ones look, I do not, but more power to you if you like it. Some don't like the way my Mini looks, granted they have bad taste if they don't like my mini but thats fine. BMW got rid of the Butt and looks good agin, Mini styling will move on also. What matters is its roots.

Other then my opinion of the Gen3 mini looks there is some good in that model. I would like to see what people do with the car. I don't really care about people that buy them as an appliance to drive and I don't care if my opinion offends then. But the enthusiast I do care about. I want that person as a friend, I want to see how they mod there Gen3 car. We may learn from each other and one day have a great time on the Dragon chasing each other. Then we can rib each other about who has the best Mini.
    So my last point to a long post. I have been thinking about this for some time. I love good natured joking about who's Gen is better. But I don't want it to offend either. Now that does mean we all need to be Big boys and girls, but it also means we should reserve some of it for people who know and understand us. I don't want anyone to hold your opinion or be censored! What I don't want is this place to turn into North American Motoring. I left that place because it got very rude and immature. I thought if one more person said do a search I would scream, I was asking because search didn't work. I know some of this pertains to me. I am one of the biggest pro Gen1 guys but I do want those that have lessor Gens to feel welcome too.:D

12. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Nice post Lee ! :Thumbsup:

13. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,024 / 6 / -5
    Well said MCS02, very well said indeed !!

14. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    People are not doing much with the car at all.

I'm reminded of the old Show me your WHEELS! thread on NAM that went to over 9000 posts. That wouldn't happen today. It's no longer that type of car, nor is MINI targeting that type of customer. The message MINI wants to get out is, "hey look, we can be your family car".

15. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Sooooo.... It makes me wonder....
    If MINI was still making the R53 / R56, would they still be in this mess with poor sales...
    Or are there just better price/options out there now?

16. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Well if they stayed with the same model for longer say 10+ years they may have been able to correct and perfect all the defects and recalls ...... BEFORE..... they released a new model with a whole bunch of new defects.

This is what has killed MINI in the ratings for years. (Reliability) I don't care how many electronic doodads a car has if spends more time in the shop than a Yugo.

17. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I don't think they would. My wife has said for a long time she doesn't like driving and doesn't car about cars like I do. Well that has changed with her R57. If it gets the least bit dirty she washes it. I am glad she likes her MINI but that is what Mini is. It had this quality about it that just pulled people in. To buy a MINI was not a decision born of practicality but of the heart. I bought my R53 when I had 4 small kids. I know I am not so bright.:lol:

18. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Daddy also needs new toys from time to time.

19. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    ^^^^^^so true!:lol::lol::lol:^^^^^^^

20. MrBlah

MrBlah Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    if I could buy a r53 with f56 interior new from bmw I would buy one have to admit the interiors are really nice now

it's just the rest of the car :(