Mini News MINI Settles Suit over Timing Chain Tensioner Issue

Discussion in 'MINI News and Articles' started by JoeClubman, Nov 24, 2015.

1. pmsummer

pmsummer Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Semi-retired planner
    Jack Coffee Hays County, The Republic of Texas
    Ratings:
    +400 / 0 / -0
    Contact MINI USA directly.

I was in a dealership last week, and overheard a service adviser calling a customer to tell them their timing chain had failed (at 50K) and the repair was $11,000 (new engine). The SA made no mention of lawsuits, customer good-will, 'we'll call MINI to see if they can help', nothin'. Eleven grand for a car just out of mileage warranty.

The SA did say that the failure was due to a "leak in the housing of the hydraulic chain tensioner, but you wouldn't have seen any oil drips."

Bottom line, don't expect the dealership to be aggressive on your behalf. MINI USA is turning the screws down on dealers right now due to excessive warranty claims.

2. pmsummer

Apr 3, 2012
    Semi-retired planner
    Ratings:
    +400 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

People are starting to receive letters from MINI USA about the timing chain settlement (not me, yet).

Anyone here gotten one?

3. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I got one yesterday.

Sadly, mine was replaced under warranty at no cost to me so I get nothing.

4. pmsummer

Apr 3, 2012
    Semi-retired planner
    Ratings:
    +400 / 0 / -0
    #24 pmsummer, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    For R-56 series/N-14 MINI owners in the USA who haven't already suffered a timing chain failure on your N-14 engine, you have received (or will soon) a settlement proposal on the Class Action suit. I suggest you send back an OBJECTION to the settlement, because the 'extended warranty coverage' for the issue has already expired for 2007-08 years models, and is expiring as I type for the 2009 m.y. MINIs. The proposed warranty extension settlement really only offers minor benefit for 2010 m.y. cars.

-------

WARRANTY EXTENSION FOR COVERED PARTS

(“Covered Parts†means timing-chain tensioner; sealing ring; timing chain; guide rail; tensioner rail; sliding rail; sprocket on the crankshaft; bearing bolts for the tensioner and guide rails. Where a timing chain has been repaired or replaced, “Covered Parts†includes oil change, oil filter, and cleaning of oil pan.")

All Class Vehicles will receive an automatic warranty extension for original Covered Parts, which will run for 7 years/100,000 miles from the Class Vehicle’s in-service date, whichever comes first, and will be subject to the terms and conditions of the MINI Warranty.

------

P.S. I heard a dealer tell a customer with a 2008 that only had 50,000 miles on the odo that their timing chain repair estimate was $9K. Because they fall outside of the proposed extended warranty, there may not be any coverage for them.

5. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    #25 Minidave, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    So, the cars that need the help the most - 2007-2009's will be excluded?

Nice

I took delivery of mine exactly 7 years and 3 days ago......it now has 62K, and it's been changed right about 50K, hope it holds up.

6. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    I got my letter last week for my '07. The timing cassette had been changed a couple years ago, but in the end it didn't matter. I traded it last September. 9 years and 130K miles on it so it wouldn't have helped anyway. I would have sent an objection letter.

7. pmsummer

Apr 3, 2012
    Semi-retired planner
    Ratings:
    +400 / 0 / -0
    Deadline to file claim extended.

IMPORTANT:

This Notice is to let you know that the deadlines in this Settlement have been extended. If you wish to file a claim, object to, or opt-out of (exclude yourself from) the Settlement, the deadline has been EXTENDED to July 1, 2016. If you live in Kansas, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, or Pennsylvania, the deadline to submit a claim has been EXTENDED to July 21, 2016. If you live in Hawai’i the deadline to submit a claim has been EXTENDED to August 29, 2016. Residents of Kansas, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, and Hawai’i still must object to or opt-out of the Settlement by July 1, 2016.

YOU ARE RECEIVING THIS EMAIL BECAUSE YOU OR SOMEONE IN YOUR FAMILY MAY HAVE OWNED OR LEASED A MINI COOPER.

Why did I get this notice? You or someone in your family may have owned or leased a MINI Cooper. The Court sent you this notice because you have a right to know about a proposed Settlement of a class action lawsuit, and about your options, before the Court decides whether to approve the Settlement. If the Court approves it and after objections and appeals are resolved, an administrator appointed by the Court will make the payments that the Settlement allows.

This notice explains the lawsuit, the Settlement, your legal rights, what benefits are available, who is eligible for them, and how to get them. The Court in charge of the case is the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, and the case is Skeen v. BMW of North America, LLC, civil action no. 2:13-cv-01531-WHW-CLW. The people who sued are called Plaintiffs, and the companies they sued, BMW of North America, LLC and Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft, are called the Defendants. What is the lawsuit about? The lawsuit claimed that BMW made and sold certain MINI Coopers knowing that the cars had defective timing chain components, which are parts inside the engine. Defendants deny they did anything wrong and stand behind and support their products. The Court did not decide in favor of Plaintiffs or Defendants. Instead, both sides agreed to a Settlement. That way, they avoid the cost and risk of a trial, so that the people affected will get benefits. The Class Representatives and the attorneys think the Settlement is best for everyone.

How do I know if I am part of the Settlement? You are a Class Member if you are a current or former owner or lessee within the United States, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico of the following vehicles, manufactured at any time from start of production in November 2006 through July 2010:

2008 through 2009 model year MINI Cooper S Clubman (R55)
    2007 through 2009 model year MINI Cooper S Hardtop (R56)
    2009 through 2010 model year MINI Cooper S Convertible (R57)

What benefits does the Settlement provide? If the proposed Settlement is approved by the Court, the Settlement will provide a warranty extension on all Class Vehicles and cash payments to eligible Class Members. In return for the benefits, Class Members release their rights to pursue any claims individually against Defendants and related entities relating to the facts and claims at issue in this case. To receive a cash payment, you must timely complete a valid Claim Form and provide all required documentation. A Claim Form is available on the internet at the Settlement Website, www.TimingChainTensionerSettlement.com. The deadline to submit a Claim Form is July 1, 2016. Note: If you live in Kansas, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, or Pennsylvania, the deadline to file a claim has been extended to July 21, 2016. If you live in Hawai’i the deadline to file a claim has been extended to August 29, 2016.

What are my options? If you don’t want to be legally bound by the Settlement, you must exclude yourself by July 1, 2016, or you won’t be able to sue BMW about the legal claims in the Action. If you exclude yourself, you cannot receive a warranty extension and/or cash payment from this Settlement. If you stay in the Settlement, you may object to it by July 1, 2016. The detailed notice explains how to exclude yourself or object. The Court has scheduled a hearing for July 14, 2016 to consider whether to approve the Settlement. You may ask to appear at the hearing, but you don’t have to.

More information? For complete information about the Settlement, to view the Settlement Agreement, related Court documents and Claim Form, and to learn more about how to exercise your various options under the Settlement, visit www.TimingChainTensionerSettlement.com. If your web-browser is preventing the hyperlink from working, enter the URL address manually into your browser. You may also call the Skeen v. BMW NA Claims Administrator at 1-844-864-9682 or write to: Skeen v. BMW NA Claims Administrator, c/o Class Action Administration, Inc., PO Box 6878, Broomfield, CO 80021.

8. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Timely (pun) update, I was thinking about this today, I had my paperwork in a bundle but forgot to mail. Now I will mail...... Thanks for the update.

Don

9. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Timing Chain settlement.... Not that it applies. Big woop. I never got anything yet for the power steering pump.

I'm filing this under the WhoGAS header. Meanwhile, I'll drink.