Suspension Brakes MINI Sport Suspension Vs Aftermarket

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by wingnut135, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Bster13

Bster13 New Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Yes, Swift springs and an aftermarket strut plus a RSB are high on the list. Just trying to walk the line between backroads car and HPDE car a few times a year and what would be an optimal suspension setup for my wants (maybe BC coilovers and swift springs?).

Thanks for the confirmation and feedback!

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Chad changed his name?

A guest Alignment guy? Now here...from the Philly area, renowned Shop Owner, Coach and Alignment Master, Eric of Helix.

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Adding Swift springs on any Shock/Strut combo or coil-over setup is a great investment.

I love mine and they are much better than any KONI, TSW or H&R springs I have had on my car. Yes they make that much of a difference. If you think adding a bigger Anti-sway bar is a grata feeling just wait till you add the Swift spring, camber plates and have a proper alignment done. A good set up will take the go cart feel and turn it into race car feel.

All the power and torque in the world will not help if you can't turn of stop your car.
    (Suspension then Brakes then More power) :Thumbsup:

4. Bster13

Bster13 New Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    For my build, I will be doing brakes, suspension, and tires first, then power for sure.

I'll post another thread to get more specific advice on my wants, but I appreciate the responsiveness of this forum vs. some others and I'm loving the collective suspension knowledge I've spent all day cramming into my brain and taking notes. :p

5. SMOG

SMOG ZOOOOOMMMM
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 28, 2009
    Retired, twice...
    Port Orchard, Washington
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    From my reading Dave.O has gone through a few suspensions and if he likes it then I would bet it is good!

His recommendation of Suspension, Brakes and Power is a good one.

If I were to really go for top performance I would follow the recommendation. In my case I am an old guy that is fairly happy with OEM power but thought the OEM "Sport Suspension" was crap. Since putting Koni FSD's on it I can now push the suspension harder without the chattering on washboards or sid slip hitting bumps in corners. Much smoother in a straight line as well.

Stephen

6. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    The Swift springs rock! I had the sport suspension when new, then the JCW suspension added later on, which is very good with adj camber plates, and correct alignment but when I just added the swift springs in place of the JCW springs, what a difference! Amazing change.

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,918 / 1 / -0
    Too many "Good" guy vendor's.... Yes, Chad did mine....:Thumbsup: But Eric is also a good source....:eek:

8. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Suspension and brakes can make any HP fast. It's all about cutting down time and driving the correct line which is how the MINI so quick and nimble over cars with 3x's the MINI's hp.

Just think of how almost every Lotus is so fast around a track but has so little power. It's not just because they are so lite :ihih: bit it also helps.

9. Bster13

Bster13 New Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
  10. SMOG

SMOG ZOOOOOMMMM
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 28, 2009
    Retired, twice...
    Port Orchard, Washington
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Well, after much grief with the Koni FSD's, the second set is clunking again! I sent the first set back to Koni and they said that they were defective and replaced them free of charge.

What a PITA... I noticed that Bilstien is selling struts that are engineered for the "Sport Suspension Option", so apparently someone at Bilstien recognizes there is a difference in spring length or something to make it necessary to have a specific strut for that option.

I am going to take DaveO's suggestion of Swift Springs combined with Bilstien HD struts and I hope that puts an end to this Odyssey!

I did not mind the firm ride of the "Sport Suspension" but I hated the jarring on the small bumps and small potholes. The FSD's cured that but the FSD's did not hold up! I suppose there would have been another way to go, by putting the FSD's in combination with the OEM regular springs and NOT the Sport Springs. Just another hassle...

Thanks Dave for the Swift spring suggestion!

11. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Thank you for that. There are now many knowledgeable people how are saying that FSDs are junk. Koni marketing junk shocks, what's the world coming too? :frown2::Thumbsup:

Jason

12. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    My first set of coil over were Koni and the rear springs would coil-bind and replacement parts took forever from Europe. The shocks went in a few years.

I tossed them and picked up a set of KW V2's and added Swift springs and have had no issues at all.

13. SMOG

SMOG ZOOOOOMMMM
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 28, 2009
    Retired, twice...
    Port Orchard, Washington
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Dave, I appreciate the advice and Jason, yes, it is tragic that a company as old as Koni has degraded and not kept pace.

When I noticed that Bilstein had a Sport Suspension and a Standard Suspension category for my 2011s I knew they had figured it out:Thumbsup:

Now to figure out which Bilstein, the B6 or the B8 to go with those Spec-R springs. Suggestions?

14. Bster13

Bster13 New Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My reconditioned Vorschlag camber plates are on the way back and will accept TSW V2s... here we go.

15. SMOG

SMOG ZOOOOOMMMM
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 28, 2009
    Retired, twice...
    Port Orchard, Washington
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I am not going to Track the car so keeping it as OEM as possible, plus the fact that there are few people within a 120 mile drive to align it to other than OEM specs! I am going to try and keep the OEM top plates