MINI to Produce 3 Door Beachcomber Variant?

Discussion in 'MINI News and Articles' started by Nathan, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Scott26 (or whatever name he’s going by today) has long been a great source of information for BMW fans. He works for the company and has insider information that is often on target years before a new model is launched. So that makes this new rumor Scott27 rumor all the more interesting to MINI fans.As [...][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More...

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Yes but........

Talk about a niche vehicle! And a teeny, tiny niche at that - surfers? :confused5:

Like they can afford new cars? And given MINI's pricing history (Motto- ever upward!) this will be a mid $30K vehicle easily.

World wide, I'm sure they would sell a few thousand to hotels and a few well heeled athletes, but.......

I would rather see them work on things like the MINI-van, and the roadsters and such - at least those have a potential worldwide market, not just on the coasts or islands.

And maybe they could devote some money and effort towards making the front end look good?

Maybe install a few instruments, an intermittant wiper that does what the driver wants and not just what it thinks it should, maybe a stereo with controls that make sense? Maybe come out with a version thats about 1,000 lbs lighter?

3. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    From the recent discussion I had with a certain upper level MINI USA person. It still may be on the table. But the chance for it anytime soon isn't really something they are looking at since it's such a niche vehicle. I mentioned to him how much I loved it and would definitely be into getting on. However, I live in a fairly rainy state in the fall/winter. They acknowledged how much they liked it too, but had the same concern. They are working on a door solution, but in order to keep the feeling it has now which is what's nice about it.

The main issue they seem to have is that how many people are really going to buy it? This is still a tough time in our economy. Niche vehicles are not really the thing to pursue right now.

I hope they go for it. I really like it.