MINI US Sales up 26% over 2010 on Strength of Countryman Sales

Discussion in 'MINI News and Articles' started by Nathan, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

MINI USA reported sales of 5,711 automobiles in December, up 32.2% from the 4,320 sold in December 2010. For the year 2011, MINI sales in the U.S. are up 26% on volume of 57,511 compared to 45,644 sold in 2010.

“MINI’s record setting sales results in 2011 prove that small is a success in its own right even without the prodding of rising fuel prices,” said Jim McDowell, Vice President – MINI USA. “Our U.S. customers have found they can have a great motoring experience even while enjoying strong fuel economy and a smaller footprint. Motor On!”

NF Comment - What is think is interesting to note is the falloff in sales volume for the Hardtop, Convertible and Clubman. While the 953 Coupè sales are not insignificant they don't add to much to sales gain MINI enjoyed for 2011 over 2010. With sales figures such as these for the Clubman one has to wonder how much longer that line will continue... Will it make it past the next model line refresh over the next few years?

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I absolutely think the Clubman will go away because of the inroads the Countryman made - it's kind of odd man out - it's not really much bigger inside than the hatch, and it's much smaller and less usable than the 4 dr Countryman. If they bring the so called Paceman (2 dr Countryman) in, that should do it once and for all.

I think that's why they're talking about a Clubman panel van - a way to use up the rest of the Clubby bodies and tooling.

I like my Clubby and really use the extra space it has, but putting kids or even dogs in that back seat is still a real challenge - the Countryman is soooo much easier to live with if you need a usable back seat. But I already have my Audi wagon for that!

I think the Countryman was a brilliant move for MINI, and financially it will pay off in spades over the years. It also helps the MINI dealers to have fresh product coming into the showroom, to keep the interest up as more small car competitors come into the market.