Mini News MINI USA Celebrates Retirement of Chief Motorer Jim McDowell

Discussion in 'MINI News and Articles' started by Nathan, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – December 3, 2013…MINI USA and the MINI community are today celebrating the retirement of theircharismatic and playful leader, Chief Motorer Jim McDowell. For the past eight-plus years, McDowell has been the face of the MINI brand in the U.S. and has been embraced by his coworkers and MINI owners around the country. McDowell, whose formal title is Vice President MINI of the Americas, will retire at the end of the year to enjoy life and spend time motoring with his family.

McDowell known for his infectious laugh, playful spirit and kind heart
    Passion for motoring and love of life clearly evident through his leadership
    Expanded, strengthened and transformed MINI dealership network in U.S.

McDowell, who attended countless MINI owner events throughout the U.S. during his tenure as Chief Motorer, joined the MINI organization in 2005 following a 12-year run as Vice President – Marketing for BMW of North America. Prior to joining BMW, McDowell held positions at Porsche AG in Germany and the U.S. He was named “Marketer of the Year†by Automotive News in 2002, and was twice named “Marketer of the Year†by Brandweek Magazine. The Advertising Club also named McDowell the “2003 Silver Medal Advertising Man of the Year.â€

David Duncan, Regional Vice President, Western Region, will assume the role of Vice President MINI of the Americas, effective January 1, 2014. Duncan, a 15-year veteran of the BMW Group, brings with him a diverse portfolio of experience across key operational functions including Sales, Marketing, Dealer Development and Aftersales for the BMW, MINI and BMW Motorcycles brands.
    In 2001, Duncan established the original MINI U.S. dealer network prior to the re-launch of the MINI brand in the U.S. in 2002. Duncan would later serve as Department Manager of Product Strategy for MINI in 2009, as well as overseeing MINI Sales & Aftersales in 2010.

[​IMG]

His broad range of experience across all aspects of the business under the BMW Group makes Duncan an ideal successor to McDowell, who was only the second leader of the MINI USA organization since the brand’s return to the U.S. in 2002.

“We wish Jim the best of luck on the next journey of his life and thank him for years of exceptional service for both the BMW and MINI brands,†said Ludwig Willisch, President and Chief Executive Officer, BMW of North America. “As we move forward we are certain that David’s energy and MINI-motoring spirit will continue to catapult the MINI brand into the future. He is a natural successor of Jim.â€

During his tenure, McDowell expanded, strengthened and transformed the MINI dealership network across the U.S., from 80 shared dealer facilities to more than 100 independent MINI-branded facilities today. McDowell also made four cross-country trips with MINI owners as part of MINI TAKES THE STATES and challenged Porsche to a public race against MINI in 2010.

A larger-than-life personality and figure of leadership at the company, McDowell will certainly be missed by members of the MINI USA team and the MINI community, who plan to utilize MINI USA social media channels to attempt to capture all the great moments of their fearless leader for future generations.

Please visit Facebook.com/MINIUSA to view and share your favorite moments and well wishes with MINI USA’s Chief Motorer.

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    That Jim McDowell.... Such a Hipster....

Nice Google glass you got there....

3. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    I had the pleasure of meeting Jim several times and sharing the road with him as well. He is a great ambassador of the MINI brand and not afraid to step out of the executive role into the enthusiast role when enjoying the events he attended. I remember during MTTS 2010 when he chased down an ice cream truck on our way between Columbus and Indianapolis while driving a back road, brought the truck back to where the rest of us were and bought ice cream for everyone. He was a blast to motor with!

4. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    Check my photo gallery I have a couple of pictures with Mr. Mcdowell.....Wish him nothing but the best....:)

5. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure I like the looks of the new guy. From his picture, it seems like he might be taller than Jim McDowell - and you know what that means: a trend toward larger vice presidents of MINI of the Americas. He's also wearing a tie, so you know there could be more weight, worse handling and less of the true open-collar feel of the previous vice presidents. That's it, I'm never buying another MINI ...

Sorry - I thought we still were complaining about the F56. :mad2:

Congratulations on your retirement, Mr. McDowell, and thanks for spreading the joy of MINIs across the U.S. And Mr. Duncan, we're looking forward to meeting you in person and being part of an even greater MINI motoring experience! :Thumbsup:

6. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    New guy looks to serious... we'll have to see how this plays out. Congrats on retirement Jim :Thumbsup:

7. Scotty

Scotty New Member

Mar 9, 2013
    German/Swedish/Finnish marine propulsion equipment
    New Orleans
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I had the pleasure of meeting him during the MOTD '13. I chatted him up during the PITTSTOP burger run for at least a half hour before I understood who he was ("so, what do you do for a living?"). Super nice guy, easy to talk to, and not the least bit pretentious. He is a walking encyclopedia of who built which cars, and when, and details about them. I also drove behind him in the dragon parade. The guy can drive! In the back of my mind, I was initially thinking about being behind the old guy. I smiled later as my pedal was at wide open throttle keeping up with him.
    It appears Jim had reached rock star status. That's cool.

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Jim was cool as I meet him a few times in the past. The new guy looks like a BMW exec that is uptight and not a people person at all. He has big shoes to fill and within 3 months we will know how he really is.

9. T8rChick

T8rChick Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Paying for new tires! The wheels were a deal!!!
    Oak Cliff, TX
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I need to go find my Jim pics!

Let's all give the new guy a heartfelt MA/MINI welcome!

10. JenLane

JenLane New Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    David is actually a really great guy. Take the pic at face value. He's fantastic and he'll be fun in his new role. :)

11. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    I still say we need MINI USA to delay his retirement until after MTTS '14! If he is allowed to retire before (which of course he will) he's welcome to drive one of our MINIs on MTTS!

12. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    This was the first time I met Jim at MTTS 2010 in NYC Countryman party...
    [​IMG]

Then Sherry cornered him at the Pittsburger Run and was giving him a hard time about the MTTS 2012 New York buttons even though it started in JERESY!!'

[​IMG]

We'll miss ya Jim and best of luck!

13. packimocity

packimocity New Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Education
    NE PA
    Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    Jim arriving at Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia, July 4, 2012, for the start of MTTS 2012

[​IMG]

pac

Attached Files:

14. Mr Salt

Mr Salt New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 30, 2013
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Jim, we have only had our Goodwood since January, you impact on the car and the Company are all to apparent. You are leaving behind some really big shoes to fill, I can only hope that your successor is up yo the task. See you on MTTS 2014.

15. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Jim is a great business man who knows how to have fun. Thank you for all you have done for the MINI community. We all enjoyed your company, please come back and visit. Not only does he know how to drive and have fun, he likes good Hoppy beer.