MINI USA Offers SIRIUS as Standard Equipment on New Model Year 2011 MINI Vehicles

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Nathan, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    WOODCLIFF LAKE, N.J. and NEW YORK, Dec. 22, 2010 /PRNewswire/ --

MINI USA and SIRIUS XM Radio (Nasdaq: SIRI) today announced that MINI will offer SIRIUS as standard equipment on new Model Year 2011 MINI vehicles.

MINI will include an introductory one-year subscription to the "SIRIUS Everything" package with the purchase of every new 2011 MINI vehicle.
    "We are very excited to offer SIRIUS as standard equipment on 2011 MINI vehicles, as it ensures that every MINI includes a well-rounded selection of in-car entertainment options," said Jim McDowell, Vice President, MINI USA. "SIRIUS is fully integrated into all three of the MINI infotainment options, and allows MINI owners to further personalize their MINI driving experience at the push of a button."

"MINI drivers appreciate efficient performance and value, and now all new MINI owners will be able to enjoy SIRIUS with its broad range of diverse content," said Steve Cook, Group Vice President and General Manager, Automotive Division, SIRIUS XM Radio. "By including a one-year introductory subscription, MINI drivers can enjoy the best in-vehicle audio entertainment beginning with the first time they start-up their new vehicles."

The "SIRIUS Everything" package delivers more than 135 channels, including 100% commercial-free music, plus premier sports, news, talk, entertainment, traffic and weather information.

All new Model Year 2011 MINI Hardtop, Convertible, Clubman and Countryman vehicles will include a factory-equipped satellite radio and a one-year introductory subscription to the "SIRIUS Everything" package. After the introductory one-year subscription, the SIRIUS service will be subject to the standard rates.

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    That is a very smart way to move a lot of Sirius radios that are cluttering up the shelves in a MINI warehouse. I don't think that it has been a very often ordered option on MINI's. MINI gets to move some parts off the shelves & Sirius gets some new subscribers once the one year trial is up.

3. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    So where do these boxes go (with respect to the dashboard)? Im assuming it's not seamlessly integrated with MINI Connect?

4. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I remember reading a thread on that other site that showed the box & wires going under the passenger side seat.

5. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    They finally made an official announcement today? Wasn't Sirius already shipping with all USA spec 2011's since September?

6. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    Agree...this seems like old news.

7. ftttupwmcs

ftttupwmcs New Member

May 17, 2010
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I activated my free subscription a few days ago. I don't like the sound of satellite radio but since it is free, I'll listen to it for a while. Also, I thought this was old news.

8. YeloMini

YeloMini Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Exactly. The compressed format on some of the channels sounds pretty bad. I paid extra in 07 for this but at least in 07 you got a lifetime subscription.

9. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I ordered it on my 09, but I have no idea where the box is. It is not visable.

Jim

10. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    From what I remember reading Jim, it is under the carpet on the passenger side below the seat. Although take that with a grain of salt, my memory is not what it once was.

How much did MINI knick you for Sirius? Can you get all of the XM channels along with the Sirius ones since the merger?

11. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I checked the Sirius box when I ordered mine. I'm very happy I did. I guess my ears aren't good enough to hear the audio problems you guys are talking about. :confused5: It sounds fine to me. :cornut:

For my 2010 I think the check box for Sirius was $150. I do remember that it was actually less than the HD radio option at the time.

I get all of the Sirius channels plus "The Best of XM" which are a few of the XM specific stations that didn't get converted. I had XM with my MkV GTI and a bunch of the music channels have been merged (i.e. Squizz on XM was merged with Octaine on Sirius; Lucy on XM is now with Lithium on Sirius). The DJs XM had working moved over (for the most part) to the Sirius studios in NYC from the XM DC studios. You'll also hear DJs and internal ads tell you both the XM and Sirius channels.

12. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Would be a waste for me, never had the radio section of my on since I've owned it. Only listen to iPod in any of my vehicles :cornut:

13. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    #13 Redbeard, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
    I use my thumbdrive in the USB slot quite a bit as well. They gave me an iPod adapter but I hate Apple products so it's still in it's original wrapper in my glovebox. :rolleyes:

Brand loyalty aside though. It is one of the things l love about Mini's in general. They are full of selectable options to suit the owner and thier tastes/needs. :Thumbsup:

BTW, Mr. Jim: I'm a fan of your paint scheme. :D

14. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Just checked the invoice and it looks like $500.00. Yes, I can get Sirius and XM, but after the free year I went with the "mostly music" package. Cheaper and I did not listen to all the talk and sports stations anyway. I like the "advertisement free" nature of it and the fact that I can listen to the same stations anywhere I go. I only turn it on when on the interstate, otherwise I listen to the car.

Jim

15. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Thanks for filling me in Jim. I've had an XM direct setup that plays through the oem radio in my MINI since I bought it 5 years ago. I hardly ever listen to terrestrial radio anymore. All music all of the time. No talk radio or commercials for me either.

16. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Funny thing is, I got fitted for a hearing aid a week ago and the radio sounds darn good now. :cornut:

Jim

17. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I'm on the fast track to buying a miracle ear myself. My MA tried very hard to sell me the HK radio. I told him they all sounded the same to me.

18. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Didn't the Sirius in the MINI come with a lifetime subscription at one time? Wonder when they stopped that.

19. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    They did and I don't know why they stopped. When I activated mine the guy thought it was, but it turned out not to be true. Bummer.

Jim

20. phinz

phinz New Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Mine will expire in May and I won't renew it unless they can figure out how Sirius/XM can combine Sirius and XM bills. I have 3 XM radios and refuse to pay full boat for a Sirius subscription. The last dozen times they called me when I let the Sirius lapse in my Miata I told them the same thing. Get your crap together, offer me an add-on radio price instead of a single-radio price and I'll happily pay $6.95 a month, but I'm not giving you $14.95 just because my radio doesn't subscribe to the same division as my other radios, which all receive the same channels as you offer with the "other" company. I finally had to tell them to stop calling me. I bet they start again once this one lapses, since it's a new car.