Mini News MINI USA Partners with Miles Ahead for MINI Performance Motoring School

Discussion in 'MINI News and Articles' started by Nathan, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Ok, thats over...

Move down the track.

2. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    Using up your own car, and with a random instructor that likely has minimal to zero racing experience. They may have plenty of open track time, but you're not going to get Indy 500, 24 Hours of Le Mans, and Formula One test drivers for free.

IMO comparing it to a club-level HPDE is a disservice. It's a clear step up from that.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Well don't get me wrong. I am not saying it's a bad school and it is nice to flog on someone else's car but a grand for one day is a lot of money. I realize there is some advantages.
    Two of my friends are local instructors both with several years of club racing one was also a instructor for the NASCAR experance. Both of them, myself included, also instruct in something that moves faster than any car. They are well qualified. But you are correct at the club level it can be hit and miss so you must do your home work.

4. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    #24 Spa2k, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    Never mind :nonod:

5. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    I'm assuming you mean normal production cars. Just out of curiosity, what are you instructing in, and with what organization? Formula Atlantic, old NASA D-Sports, something like that?

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    The three of us work for the same Company. One buddy was a B-727 instructor now he instructs in MD-11's, the other is a Airbus 300 instructor. Me I am a B-757/767 Instructor. We instruct in the actual aircraft not just sims. My point with that is they both have race experience and for several years have taught in a very demanding field.
    You can be a F1 driver and suck as an instructor. The key is being able to watch someone and then be able to help them to see where to improve.

So there is no misunderstanding, I am not arguing with you about the school. I am sure it is good, I have not been so I trust your opinion.

What I ment in my response to this is don't sale the "club-level HPDE" short, they can put on good schools. Also I prefer to use my car.

Some how we have gotten off on the wrong foot.

7. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    Ahhh airplanes, ok I see now. :Thumbsup:

We definitely agree that club-level HPDE's can vary significantly. I've been to really well-oiled ones and some of them are basically free for all's in 20 minute intervals. What's good about that, if you're an HPDE guy, is you can tailor your experience based on which event you sign up for.

The instructors at Miles Ahead were top shelf communicators on top of being decorated drivers. I'm thinking that wasn't by accident. As an aside, despite my huge respect for Kimi's driving skills, I can't picture him being a great instructor, unless it's how to drink shots. :devil: Certainly not all drivers are good communicators, but also I've had very good instructors that aren't quick drivers. They're not mutually assured attributes.

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Take a certain Iceman, add Natalie Pinkham from Sky Sports, put them in a Renault and let them loose on an ice track in Russia. Here's how it went...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-bY2AVMt40"]A lesson on how to drive on ice... Kimi Raikkonen style... - YouTube[/ame]

9. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    ^^ the longer version:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zI3l8vKIq0"]Kimi Raikkonen and Natalie Pinkham Ice Racing SKY - YouTube[/ame]