Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #13 Dave.0, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    My thought is the AC compressor is seized and causing the belt to not move. I had it happen while driving and snapped a belt in half.

The SC and Alt will both spin if they fail. Order the one from Nissan on FCP EURO and save your self a lot of money over the OEM one. This is what I did and Helix installed it for me cheap.

LINK; https://www.fcpeuro.com/Mini-parts/Cooper/Compressor/?year=2005&m=1&e=1138

Also FCP EURO will warranty all parts sold for life including brake pads, rotors and oil.

If you don’t believe me read this link. And as always F ECS Tuning.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee

3. HillbillyChili

Jun 14, 2017
    Software
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone, I went ahead and got an alternator from a junkyard. Since the price was only $40 I was willing to take a chance. Especially if I can break my current one loose on the bench and have a backup. I really discount my time, will have nobody to blame but myself if this one goes bad and have to do this over again.

Got the tensioner Dave posted, went through amazon.smile to support a local group too ;).

Figured since I cut off the $20 belt I might as well add a $200 supercharger pulley kit that comes with a new belt, #MINILogic. Got it from Way Motor Works, I got the puller too so if anyone in Central Ohio wants to borrow that, just let me know.

This breakdown got expensive quick. If only I had better diagnostic skills. :Banghead:

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Can the car move with the clutch in?
    Check the SC for movement.

Sorry, can't think of anything else.

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Make sure the + power connection next to the air filter box on the left is tight. It’s under a little black cap that has a + symbol on it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. HillbillyChili

Jun 14, 2017
    Software
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    UPDATE!!!! I have narrowed down the issue! I cut the serpentine belt off (didn't want to wait for tool) and she turned right over and started up!

I was in my work clothes so I couldn't get under her and check out which pulley is seized but at least I know it's not the engine!

But at this point I can't decide what I am hoping for, alternator? A/C compressor? Really hoping it is not the supercharger...

Thank you for all your help, keep this in mind for the future. Still not sure how it didn't blow a fuse and let my first starter get burnt up.

Motor On!

-HC

7. myles2go

myles2go Active Member

May 7, 2012
    collecting a paycheck
    WI
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -1
    The alternator replacement is pretty easy to do. Raise the front end and put it in service mode. Everything is accessible from the bottom. Note that there are plastic spacers in some of the bolt holes that you'll need to transfer to the new alternator.

FCPeuro is great. I put that Bosch alternator on the R52 last summer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Bad ground?

9. HillbillyChili

Jun 14, 2017
    Software
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    #9 HillbillyChili, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    I'll give that a shot tonight Dave!

Other things I have checked:
    1. Checked ECU compartment and blew out with air, wasn't bad at all, no moisture or anything
    2. Double checked all wires connecting fuse blocks inside and underhood
    3. Waved key in front of ignition and made car "ding" so key is still programmed to car

Things I know are wrong but shouldn't be causing this issue:
    1. Leaking rear main seal
    2. Bad low rad fan relay

Things that led me to believe a pulley is seized:
    1. Electrical burning smell, over exerted on smaller gauge wires
    2. Battery dies with very few turnovers, use up all CCAs to turn a hard pulley

I appreciate the ideas everyone, I just need more time to be turning wrenches, been slow going here.

10. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I hope it is an easy fix, but that starter motor has enough beans to crank that engine over with an alternator frozen. My guess is the supercharger, I hope I'm wrong.

11. HillbillyChili

Jun 14, 2017
    Software
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    We have ourselves a winner, well technically I'm the loser. The only pulley that won't turn is the alternator!

All the other pulleys turn by hand, I even tried using the old belt to turn the pulley and got no where, couldn't break it loose. Now I need to take it off and see if I can break it free on the bench. Or I'll be in the market for a new alternator.

In fact this might be a good time to pop on a new SC pulley and tensioner..... As if I haven't spent enough money already.

Thanks for your help everyone, this one had me scratching my head! Hopefully someone in the future might find this handy. Guess now I know I can't ignore her for a few weeks, gotta drive her all the time.

Motor on!
    -HC

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,019 / 6 / -5
    It's always nice to find the problem !!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. HillbillyChili

Jun 14, 2017
    Software
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    She still rolls with the clutch in, will be testing the supercharger pulley once I get this dang belt off and can report back.

Appreciate the help!

14. HillbillyChili

Jun 14, 2017
    Software
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    I cleaned and tightened ground straps at battery and by the hydraulic engine mount, still got nothing. Not sure if I am missing one somewhere, those are the main ones I have found

15. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN CUPCAKE!:D

Long shot but.......Check all the fluids are any low? Pull the plug make sure that you somehow did not have a bad head gasket that allowed water into the cylinders causing it to hydro lock. Pull the the valve cover and make sure that the timing chain is not broken. Can you turn the engine over by hand?
    Almost forgot check and see how many amps the starter is pulling.

Let us know what you find.

16. HillbillyChili

Jun 14, 2017
    Software
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    This is the most fun I've had with my pants on :D

Fluids are good, checked oil (looked clean, still amber-ish from oil change before she quit), brake fluid is still full so no leaking slave cylinder, PS and coolant both good. No transmission fluid leaks.

Plugs looked used but not burnt up in the slightest, I pulled all 4 to be safe.

I haven't pulled valve cover yet, good idea there, maybe I should dump oil anyway to see if there are any parts floating around in it.

Will have to crank over engine, looks like a 15mm socket on engine pulley? (Will remove plug wires for safety)

Hard to test starter when I'm a one man show, will have to have some buddies over to turn the key.

Thanks for the ideas!

17. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Let us know what it is. I think I would hope for the alternator out of those three.

18. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Glad it is the alternator & not the SC. I had an alternator lock up once. Stored the race car for the winter & when I went to pull it out of storage it was locked up. The car started, but the belt smoked like heck as it slid over that seized pulley. Lots of smoke & cussing ensued.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List