Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S MINIFlash FullAccess (FA53) Tuning Kit

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by CarlB, Nov 27, 2010.

1. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Nathan, you teased us by showing a picture. It appears that everyone will be able to get one soon. Can you tell us about your experience?

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    #2 Nathan, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
    I only have the MINIport OBD-II tool which I use to data log.

It does work as expected, I do get a limited amount of data that I can use to see what is going on with the engine. The limits are due to what the ODB II system actually reports. It would be nice to see things such as oil pressure but that is not a variable that the ODB II system includes.

My biggest beef with the MINIport OBD-II is the lights on it. At night there is a small light show in the foot well. Over time I have grown to ignore it. Also if you leave the unit in place all the time it does remain powered on, that is a very small additional load on the battery. I've not gone more than a week without driving the MINI making this a non-issue for me. However, if you store the car for a period of time be sure to unplug the MINIport OBD-II.

There are some items in the DataViewer software I think can be done better. The massive buttons across the top steal valuable screen space that could be better used to display values. The fact that once you add a Channel to the Data View during a session you can't remove it unless reload the csv file sorta bugs me too. These are minor things in the overall package though. I also think there needs to a better explanation of what the values mean. Most are rather easy to determine but some such as a reading of 735.14 ManiPress2 mean nothing to me. And, if it was up to me there would be a toggle where temps could be displayed in F instead of C, but that is just my personal preference.

3. jason@MynesTuned

jason@MynesTuned New Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the feedback, we are working on a different GUI since the GUI we are currently using has limitations of what we do with it. Oil Pressure is not a OBD II channel, but would have to check in the code again and see if we can custom get the parameter and send it through the K-Line/OBD II port since this is sent over CAN for the instrument cluster of vehicles that are coded for oil pressure display.

I've changed a few things now, you can see C and F for temperatures and Manifold pressure in PSI to name a few. The 735.14 is in hPa which BMW uses for manifold pressure. To convert just convert 735.14 to psi and then subtract 14.5 to get PSI. But I have this function already in the new logcfg file now so you don't have to convert it.

Shoot me a email and let me know what's up, that is what I thought was suppose to happen.

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I think I am using the 1.0.2 version of the DataViewer. I say that cause I know I downloaded and installed it but there is nothing in the software that reveals the versioning.

Is there a new version available that encompasses the changes you note above? I checked the Mynes DataViewer Downloads area and do not see anything beyond 1.0.2.

I'll be in the office all day if you want to call me Jay..