Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Mobile ECU Monitoring Software

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by roggenmini, May 14, 2009.

1. roggenmini

roggenmini New Member

May 12, 2009
    SoJo, Utah
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I recently purchased "Rev" for my iPhone, coupled with the PLXdevices Wifi OBD-II connector I am able to get data from my ECU. So far I have been very impressed. It is actually very easy to get installed and running. There are a few things that I would like to see but if enough people buy this I am sure they will have lots of money to use towards developing improvements.

Some of the Key features that I have found useful is the ability to check engine codes and clear them. Also it will track your 0-60 time, intake temps, engine coolant temps, boost pressure, RPM, Throttle Position, and a few others.

The system is not MINI specific so it can be used on any vehicle 96 or newer. I have hooked it to my wife's car and it works well there too.

2. Jeff H

Jeff H New Member

May 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have the same setup. The code checking appears to work fine, but have you cleared any codes with it? It doesn't appear to be able to clear any codes, the unit just locks up the phone.

I'm curious if anyone else is having different results.

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Not that I even have an iPhone but does it data log as well?

4. Jeff H

Jeff H New Member

May 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It will log the accelerometers and 3 data streams at the same time. You can view one data stream as a "gauge" or the data logging screen which is trend lines running across the page, not very visually friendly.
    It drops the wifi connection occasionally, and each time the car is started, I have to cycle power on the PLX wifi unit to get it to reconnect.
    It has it's bugs, but is a handy tool for monitoring OBD items.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    #5 Nathan, May 14, 2009
    Last edited: May 14, 2009
    So it's not "track ready" yet is what I am reading into this.

6. Jeff H

Jeff H New Member

May 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you didn't have anything else in the OBD port it couldn't hurt. It's easier than dragging my laptop around but then all the data is captured, not just the OBD.
    I was slated to beta test the Innovate OT-2 (I have the 1), which is their OBD unit with a hardwire plug for the iPhone the beginning of this year. It has been pushed back twice to June now, we'll see if it materializes but has some promise if it works. It would be nice to view more than one gauge at a time as with Rev.

7. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    If this device displays boost properly, it could be good on dyno days, for cars without a boost gauge.

Another company out of Ft. Collins is rumored to have a device/software in progress for the iphone and ipod touch. It is waiting on the version 3 of the software from Apple before product release.

All rumor of course.

What is the link to the Rev. hardware/software website? Btw, I'm using a touch.

Don

8. roggenmini

roggenmini New Member

May 12, 2009
    SoJo, Utah
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was able to get a code to clear. I tend to throw misfire in cylinder codes every now and again and it was able to clear it.

It does seem to have some issues staying connected some times.

I do like how it will use the gps to map out your on gas and on brake when you drive, this could be very useful on a track.

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Only if you can map the track too and then play it back with a lap by lap type of display.

10. roggenmini

roggenmini New Member

May 12, 2009
    SoJo, Utah
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here is the link to the software company devtoaster. They have a link to the different wifi options under "Hardware."

11. JustJAY

JustJAY New Member

May 4, 2009
    To find a new job
    In a Recession
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow, that is really cool. I would like something like this. I will wait for 3.0 though

12. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Ordered

Well after much looking I downloaded the app for my itouch. I ordered the kiwi wifi plex unit. I hope to have it in a few days.

I will report back. I wanted it for two functions, water temp and boost pressure in my R56.

Combo was cheaper than hard gauges and all the wiring and power issues.

Now I need to find a solid dash mount for track lapping days. :D

Don

FD gift to myself along with a new ED cat-back exhaust. :lol:

13. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Follow up.

Rev report.

I received my Plex Wifi in the mail on Friday, nicely packed via USPS priority.

Not much on instructions for setup, but not really needed since it is plug and play. The little on/off switch really needs a sharp fingernail to toggle.

I purchased the Rev. software via Itunes a few days ago. I need to visit the Plex wifi and Rev. forums to see what others are doing.

Today I plugged in the unit, fired up and nothing! So, I fiddled, then went inside to think about lack of detailed instructions and what I had done. (Messed up)....

Bottom line, don't second guess, don't mess. I verified the wifi was connecting, turned off everything and tried again after what I fiddled was set back to defaults. You might have to adjust the port in Rev., I did.

Power on, start MINI, start rev. Patience is key, wait for all the lights to go green. It takes a minute or two for the Plex and Rev to sync up.

Neat tool, I like the boost and water temperature most of all, now I need to find out how to use all the rest of the measurements Rev. provides plus data logging.

After I got it running and I was comfortable of the basic measurments I was seeing I took a run down the hill to show one of my MINI racing friends.

He was already planning the permanent wiring and installation for me.

We tested distance from the MINI before I lost signal, about 60 feet away and about 2 feet from the MINI when it picked up the signal and resynced.

Rev. picked up right were I was viewing before, at that time I was watching RPM at idle.

After this visit, I took a loop through the city on our fast perimeter road, part of which is state rural highway. I tested boost, rpm and temp.

All looked good. My 07 MCSa is running about 219/223 degrees. For those with temp gauges in your MCS, is that what you see?

I managed to kick boost up to 12-14 and one overboost I think I saw 16, but I will have to get to know the tool better and how to use logging.

Overall first and second impression, nice combintation of wifi and tool (Rev).

After I get the proper mount and something more secure in the MINI, I will try to take some action pictures or take a passenger to do so.

Now I will not purchase a boost or temperature gauge and go through the hassle of a hard wire install and hard mounts. No pods needed.

Don

14. drPhilGandini

drPhilGandini MINI of the Month May 2009

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How does this compare to a ScanGaugeII?

15. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Cool video, compositing data logged with Rev.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anw7Uwx_xRU"]YouTube - Rev Fan Video: Live from Laguna Seca![/ame]

vs. the ScanGaugeII... Rev looks a lot prettier, does some data logging, can use the iPhone GPS and Accelerometer in addition to OBD data. Both can function as a code reader/clearer. But I haven't seen a multi-metric display on Rev, all the screenshots I've seen display one metric at a time? (vs. 4 on the ScanGauge).

16. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Neat!

Are similar devices/applications available for the Blackberry Storm? We are on Verizon and can upgrade to a Storm, but I am thinking this might be time to switch to ATT and an iPhone, unless the Storm can do all the same tricks the iPhone can. Just a matter of time, I guess?

17. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Never having used a storm, I can't say what applications might be available.

What is the OS on the storm, perhaps DevToaster would do a port! :devil:

Pictures/video later this week after I get a proper mount.

Don't bother with the Kensington Window mount, the arm is much to long. Looked like a pretzel trying to make it fit.

I ordered a Kensington dash mount, we will see if that works mid-week.

The California kit Kensington sends with the Window unit is a joke, small (very small) square of Velcro.

Not track worthy.

18. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Well, I have a Curve and have been thinking about an upgrade. The Storm and the Iphone are at the top of the list. This certainly tips the scales toward the Iphone.

The BB apps seem to be significantly limited compared to the Iphone, as such I doubt this will ever get to the BB.