MOTD MOTD 2022 - April 27th - May 1st 2022

Discussion in 'MINIs on the Dragon Annual Event Forum' started by agranger, Jan 26, 2022.

Tags:
  1. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I didn't see a new thread here, so I'm starting one.

Registration is open! https://www.minisonthedragon.com/2022-intro.php

With 91 days to go, there are 202 people and 144 MINIs attending!

Day drive registration will open on Feb 19.

I'll be leading 2 drives this year:
    1. Thursday morning "Sunrise in the Smoky Mountains" (my favorite road ever, Little River Road, for the combination of twisties and pure, scenic beauty). We take a spirited run down the Dragon (we are there at dawn, so almost nobody on the road) and then settle it down for a scenic tour up the Foothills parkway, Little River Road, Newfound Gap and NC28 back to Fontana. We also stop for photos a few times, plus breakfast and gas along the way.
    2. Friday morning "Donut Run". This is a build-your-own-adventure drive. You can join us for a trip along the Dragon and the Foothills Parkway, then up to Maryville for a donut stop. About 1/2 of the folks turn around after donuts and head back to Fontana for other fun. The remaining folks continue on about 20 min to OutMotoring's corporate HQ for some parts and swag shopping (also, MINI of Knoxville is right around the corner if you need something from a dealership). Every year an intrepid few (4-5 cars) stick with me and we hop on the highway to head to the Cherohala Skyway (stunning open mountain views and great steep, twisty roads) before heading back towards Fontana
    Frequently these drives fill up quickly. If they do and you want to join us, reach out to me on MA... I'll find room for you! :D

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Hope I can make it

3. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I just heard back from Aaron Cornaby @ OutMotoring. He confirmed that the Donut Run can come by the shop, but because several of his employees have requested that time off this year, he isn't going to be an official MOTD sponsor... he just wouldn't have the staff to pull it off.

That being said, if anyone has an urgent part need, I'll be at OutMotoring on Friday morning and right next to MINI of Knoxville. I'd be happy to pick up whatever you need and deliver it to you on Friday afternoon when we get back to Fontana. I'll be in cabin 1018 and you can try my mobile at (214) 394-7450 though, well, you know what cell coverage is like up there...

4. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    As of 2/4/22: There are currently 257 people signed up with 181 MINIs attending.

5. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    As of 2/16: There are currently 294 people signed up with 207 MINIs attending.

Reminder: The drive sign-up and event registration opens on 2/19, this coming Saturday morning.

Also: The southern half of the Foothills Parkway is going to be closed while we are there (repaving and other works). There is a way around it and it was test-driven by a pair of locals a few days ago. I documented the detour if anyone wants to drive that way. See the detour PDF on the page for my Sunrise drive... there is a google map link at the bottom of the document as well: https://www.minisonthedragon.com/2022-sunrise.php

6. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    #6 agranger, Mar 29, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
    What? No Dragon chatter?

Work has been hella-stressful for me lately. I'm really looking forward to a 5-day weekend with a forced hiatus from work and the internet. A shift from the "what am I and the project team doing 5 months from now?" to "What am I going to do 5 minutes from now?" I'm heading out 4 weeks from tomorrow!

I'm looking forward to some nice drives, several campfires and an appropriate number of adult beverages (or maybe one or two beyond appropriate :D ). I'm in cabin 1018 (enter Fontana, turn right at the general store and keep heading uphill and turning right where available) if anyone wants to pull up a chair in the evening around the fire.

As of 3/29: There are currently 489 people signed up with 337 MINIs attending

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Yea I can’t believe there is not a lot post on this thread. I would like to go but right now it does not look good.
    But I won’t know till about a week before it starts

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I'm not surprised there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest here. Sad to say only a handful of people seem to post here. There seem to be more spammers than regular members. All gone to farcebook possibly?

For you good folks who make it down to the dragon have fun!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Whine not Walnuts

Whine not Walnuts Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm no chatter, I wonder why? Could it just be that for years the Three Miniteeers, which are now down to two, drove allot of people away?

Of course even on FB you cannot make a post for selling stuff without Athos throwing in some irrelevant derogatory crap if it does not meet his approval of what good is . . . . .

10. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    I went last year, and hosted the LAST Cigar Salon. We had about 10 + people there and everyone wanted me to return this year. However, last year WAS my final year. 17 years of fun and one helluva lot of cigars!

11. checkers

checkers Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Male
    retired
    Modesto, Ca
    Ratings:
    +1,153 / 0 / -1
    I believe that that's the problem. People are getting older and a lot have sold their cars and retired. Only those with the early models (r53,r56's) seem to be interested in groups like MOTD. It seems to me those that buy the new cars buy them for the family not the fun.

12. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I wish I could blame it on FB but for this forum that is not the case. I think it is a little bit of several things; FB, people moving away from mini, negativity, and people have changed too.
    The Lotus board and motorcycle boards I am on are doing well, heck look at the other mini sight it is doing well too.
    We have a lot of lurkers, that’s good I hope one day they jump in. But we lost a lot of people here because of some of the crap that went on. I will take some blame, but most of the damage was done back just before Nathan sold the sight.
    I’m not going to rehash everything, those of you posting watched it all happen. I will tell you it sucks when you have to be referee and mommy, or ban someone that you like. It is a very hard line to walk between letting people have their say and keep the peace. For instance, F56. Most of us did not like it and I thought people should be able to say so in the proper place and manner. But when someone would get one and be all excited about it and the first response was “it sucks” that’s not cool. Of course they would quit posting. On the other hand everyone here is grown up and should be able to disagree and still have fun talking about cars.
    I really would like MA to thrive agin, it was a fun place. But it is you guys that will make that happen. Post, post a lot. It does not have to be just MINI/mini as long as it is car related. Other car trends affect the mini world. You want to debate something fine do it respectfully and in the right place. When someone is showing off their car be happy for them, you don’t have to like the car, they do.If someone has trouble and need help please help. A lot of you are more knowledgeable then me, so jump in and lend a hand.
    Ok so my coffee is starting to kick in after a late night so I am starting to be less grumpy.
    If this is something you want to talk more about that is fine but please start a thread, I have pulled us off topic, sorry.
    If you don’t want it to be public shoot me a conversation (PM) I will be glad to talk to you. If you have any suggestions please let me or @Sully know.
    For you guys that come here from time to time but are hesitant to post pleas post.
    So back to MOTD!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    VERY well said, and to the point.

I have 3 Gen 1s and will continue to own them until either they, or I, become inoperable.

14. checkers

checkers Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Male
    retired
    Modesto, Ca
    Ratings:
    +1,153 / 0 / -1
    I've been checking the other gen's on this site and I see what you mean. Not many people are posting or starting new post. That's a shame. The only one that seem to be getting much traffic is the first gen. Times are a changing. I use to belong to 5 different clubs and now their is only two left. Even Sin City shut down their club annual get to gather.

15. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    MOTD 2022 Update: Took a little longer this year, but we just got our 500th registration with 344 MINIs!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Donut Run: If you are coming on the donut run with me (sure... a small chance, but I'm here already, so free post!), bring a camp chair with you if you have one. Our donut shop has changed configuration and is mostly take-out now (only 4-5 seats), so we will have to wing-it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Does their website still offer weekly coupons? When I was at MOTD a few years back, I used one to score some free donuts.

18. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Maybe, but I've discovered that, in the 3 years since I've lead the run, the shop has changed ownership. I'll check!

19. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Donut run was a lot of fun. To bad I cannot attend this year.. 16 yr old twins tend to lock down my weekends. Hopefully next year!

20. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,025 / 6 / -5
    Just playing devils advocate but 17 year old twins may do the very same thing. :D