2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Motor noise coming from gas tank?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Systemlord, May 20, 2013.

1. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I have only had my pre-owned 2007 MCS for about two months, it runs excellent and has lots of power especially when the turbo kicks in which is why I bought it. IIRC the high pressure fuel pump is next to the head by the fuel rail which is silver in color, is there supposed to be a slight motor noise coming from the gas tank? YouTube video below, listen for that high pitched noise that almost sounds like a mini jet engine. At 1:10-end you can hear the motor best.

I would appreciate any assistance! Thank you.

[ame=http://youtu.be/pzzNZrlkonA]Systemlord's Gas Tank Pump Noise. - YouTube[/ame]

2. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I can't say that I've heard that from my 08, but I'll take a listen in the garage tonight and report back.

3. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: No help here but as I have an 08, I'll bump to keep your post near the top.:Thumbsup:

Jason

4. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I shot the underside of my 08 for you to compare. Foolishly I started at the exhaust, but realized my blunder and moved to the tank. There's not a lot to see, but it sounds very similar to me. Hope this helps!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2AhmCQtZaM]Zap's gas tank noise - YouTube[/ame]

5. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Yup, that's it! I heard exactly the same noise coming from your tank. Mine is just a slightly different tone. Perhaps this is just the way it was designed to sound. My guess is the reason Mini/BMW has a slightly louder pump than most cars, is because of the demand for fuel delivery to feed the engine during boost given that it's a turbocharged engine.

I want to thank you for taking the time to make the video to compare the pump in the gas tank. It has put my mind at ease knowing that these sounds are normal, unless both of our pumps are about to fail, which I highly doubt.

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Systemlord.