MINI Press Release Motoring Alliance returns to MINIs on the Dragon 2018 (MOTD)

MOTD.png
I'm happy to announce, Motoring Alliance returns to being a sponsor of MINI's on the Dragon (MOTD) 2018! MOTD
By Sully · Feb 10, 2018 ·
  1. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Honestly, the Sunrise drive is my personal favorite... plus it leaves early so we get back to Fontana in the the morning and you have the rest of the day for other things. Regular MOTD attendees have probably been down those roads before, but they never disappoint. If we get a clear day, the views from the Foothills Parkway are stunning and you really understand the "Smoky" in "Smoky Mountains".

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Love the foothills parkway. It’s great to run anytime and even better with government park restrictions which means the rangers are not on duty and using radar.

3. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    There will be this year.. at least and easy up or two. :)

4. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    I’m finding this years lack of MOTD content as concerning as much as my just now bringing this up! WE ONLY HAVE JUST OVER 40 DAYS PEOPLE! So far just over 600 people/400 cars on the counter, and only the couple regulars that already posted, along with one I didn’t expect from here.

I will definitely be around Fontana, hell, I live here! There’s some things I haven’t seen posted anywhere that some of you might need to know about though...

US 129 south of Robbinsville (near the intersection with 19/74) is down to one lane for a half mile stretch... They have a temporary traffic light that cycles every 3-5 minutes, so if any large groups get caught up here it could be a big separation. Easiest pulloff to regroup would be the Park & Ride area across from the creepy old gas station at the intersection. It’s closed due to a retaining wall being rebuilt before the highway fell off the mountain.

US 28 (Hellbender) On the south side of Fontana (the route most everyone takes into Robbinsville) is FULLY RE-OPEN after a massive rockslide that happened in December. (Directly after Rainbow Falls) There may be some lingering side work though throughout the summer.

US 129 south of the Dragon (from around Yellow Creek all the way into Robbinsville) is under a massive tree/brush clearing project. They are cutting down everything 50 feet off of and up to the pavement. They routinely close the road with a flagger and some of the delays can be long. That is expected to last all summer.

US 19 through Nantahala Gorge, is also under the same tree clearing project, and has the same delays.

There are also several repaving projects on multiple side roads of the main routes, with delays expected.

As of right now the Dragon section of 129 is good to go! Not as smooth as years past but still in good shape. Same for 28 into Fontana from the Killboy store.

I’m looking forward to the week, and so far everyone who has posted in this thread is invited to my house! Some of you have been there, but it can still be a pain to find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    For while it was really hard to find the events section on the new site. We recently moved it up to the top level and will be making some other organizational changes. I also didn't know the historical way this was handled with MOTD and somewhat recently created the forum. There have been a few splinter discussions on other threads (example yours). I imagine it will pick up as we get closer. :)

Thanks for the road status update.. glad its looking good. Can't wait to get up there!

6. bigjas

bigjas Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully, one day I will make it there. I finally have worked out most of the bugs in my MINI and begin driving it again in February. I got so frustrated with trying to fix things and spending money on it that I parked it for 10 months.

7. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    All good Sully, the lack of hype isn’t just here. Unfortunately it’s everywhere! I guess MINIs are just losing momentum as an actual fan base product. The numbers of registrants speak for themselves 4-5 years ago almost double the amount of people would already be on the list for MOTD, all the forums would have pretty much Dragon content only on the most recent posts, and all the Facebook groups simply didn’t exist. It’s really nothing to do with the board. Everyone that is a regular still keeps up, but with group upon group on Facebook a lot of the new enthusiastic MINI owners doesn’t have a clue because it’s rarely talked about.

8. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Glad you are back to driving it again! Hopefully you got the bugs worked out.

9. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    I know how you feel! I figured it out the other day and I have actually driven the only MINI I have left for about a year and a half out of 9 years of owning it... My first MINI I had for 2 years and it was broken for 6 months of that and used as a weekend only car outside of that... The only MINI I had kept going and drove every day was my R60 which thankfully never gave me any problems. Yet I’m still here! (Occasionally)

10. bigjas

bigjas Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

11. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I was wondering about that... there does seem to be a lack of excitement from previous years. Maybe MOTD has turned into a bunch of regulars that don't need the hype because they have already been there enough times... they love it, but it just isn't the exciting / unknown thing anymore.

12. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    We'll try to find it, Dick. It will give us something to do after the Cigar Salon before we leave Friday morning. [instructions?]

13. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    We "regulars" are still excited about going to and being there, but, the original Generation 1 excitement of the "new" MINI has left and the newer generations seem to have forgotten how unique our cars are, probably because some of our Generation 1 compatriots have made it clear that they do not care for the later generations.

14. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #34 Dave.0, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    I and my other are very excited about the Dragon as it is the beginning of Spring and we get to see all our old friends that we have been seeing for the last ten years. I do not look forward to seeing new d-bags thinking that they are racecar drivers and acting like idiots in and around Fontana.

I do not care for SUV MINI’s running on the Dragon at all. It is also no secret I hate the fish face F56.

The people in newer cars / generations do not show respect to the area and the road or the people are driving on the road with. They are to concerned with 2-way radios, waving at everyone and not paying attention while driving.

15. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    @Dave.0 you wont wave to me?? I was thinking of doing a 3 point u-turn on the Dragon and then I will post it on youtube :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    So all of them are this way? Or even a majority that would show up to this type of event? I personally do not agree with that. You are casting people based on body style.. IMO. That is a broad brush that can turn the other way..

17. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Well, I remember a whole lot of R53 drivers being inconsiderate on the roads (crossing the yellow, driving too public roads like they were a racetrack). There used to be huge argument threads over on NAM for weeks after MOTD. I think there are just more of them now, so it's easier to pigeon hole a holes into the 'other' bucket, rather than a 'like me' bucket.

18. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    No one has posted a "what to bring to the Dragon" list.

Tools!

19. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

I will wave with one finger, you guess which one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    A lot of new attendees are like that. If it is a broad brush so be it.

I understand in todays society everyone gets offended at everything but the facts are the facts.

As far as R53 drivers using the Dragon as a racetrack, well our smaller group has its problem drivers also. I am not pretending that we don’t and I live in a glass house at all.

I go on runs in the daytime and drive like a normal driver. If I want to blast down the Dragon, or better local roads, I go out late at night or early morning. I always get pissed at people crossing the yellow line.and driving like idiots and truth be told their are not a lot of R53’s on the road like it used to be. As everyone like to remind me times have changed and the first gen is a dead generation. So if that’s true who is the group that are driving like idiots?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List