MotoringFile MotoringFile is Driving the New F56 MINI – What Do you Want to Know?

Discussion in 'MINIs in Other Media' started by JoeClubman, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Blah blah blah they are all BMW puppets.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    This problem was created the day before the car magazine was created. Some PR flack called some author and said, hey, write about our car, we'll send you by steamship, first class, to this unique local, ply you with food and drink and let you drive our cars. Please be sure to give a real honest review to our potential buyers.

3. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    True that. But MF started out as enthusiast site, not a car magazine, mainly with information, and it's evolved into a mouthpiece for BMW/MINI indirectly through Gabe and others. It's one thing to start out as a car mag from day one. It's another to bill yourself as an objective enthusiasts initially, then gradually turn into something that's severely compromised in it's objectivity, all the while insisting it's true to it's roots. Doesn't work for me, and I rarely visit the site anymore--only time I do is if there is a link from here to MF that may have something of interest to me.

Read the comments. Anyone with a legitimate opinion contrary to the company line is quickly pile drived, WWE style, more often than not. Here, there is a back and forth, I don't agree with many here, many don't agree with me, but we coexist (sometimes barely, but we coexist). Write something negative there and the next day your dog is missing.

4. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    Or maybe "a universal storm of protest from a tiny number of current MINI owners who have never seen the car in person and choose to be very vocal on a MINI-focused enthusiast website." :rolleyes5:

Ask your dealer how many orders for F56s he/she is holding; you may be surprised at how high that number is. So what if a dozen board posters won't buy a fish-faced MINI, when thousands already have placed orders? :devil:

I'm reserving judgment until I see production cars in the wild (not at a show). I never buy a new car unless I can see it, drive it and pass gas in it. :lol:

5. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    As a rule I pass gas in every new car I test drive. :lol:

6. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    There is truth in that, sometimes a car looks better in the flesh than in pictures, the GP1 comes to mind. But I seriously don't think it's going to make a difference with the F56, but yes, we should reserve judgement until we see it in the flesh. Make no mistake, we won't, but you're right, we should.:cornut:

7. yellowbritishrocket

yellowbritishrocket Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    look its wholy horrid...every single picture from every single angle from every single person who has seen it the look does not change its still the same atrocious mix of body angles with the weird bumpers and a interior that is a mess or toggles switches and parts from both bmw's and minis...its a mess... and its not just a dozen of people on a forum...looking at the facebook pages for mini there are waaay more than just a few enthusiats...plus the clowns placing orders for these things without even trying it out...im gonna laugh when they get delayed....oh WAIT...they already did!

8. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
  9. Z06_Pilot

Z06_Pilot Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jun 12, 2013
    Network Design Engineer
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    It seems some folks are dismissing the car having never driven it. taking appearances out of the equation for a moment. Isn't it possible that the driving dynamics could be similar to an R53? I don't see why not

They made the R53, so i assume they would know how to make a newer car with very similar handling characteristics, and an overall similar driving experience while deploying modern electronic aids and design techniques....

Now, having said that, I'm glad I just bought a 2013 R56 JCW because I could just never own this new car. The lights and front grill/bumper...I just can't get past it. and the changed interior...just not for me.

I bought a car once based solely on performance: a 1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II. One of the ugliest cars ever unleashed on the public IMO, but could slam you into your seat when the go-fast pedal was hammered and was an auto-crossing demon.

Jeff

10. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Hmmmmmm.....

I've been to PR..... Wasn't too impressed with the roads there and their method of repair..... Couldn't imagine this would be a good location to test the handling on a new model....

However..... They do rum exceedingly well.... And the locals are nice and really know how to parteee.... And nice beaches.... I'll bet Gabe and the BMW guys got a super tan....:ihih:

11. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I don't think so, for several reasons. First of all, the steering will not be as direct, an issue that started with the R56, and deploying more electronic aids will not make it any better either. The ediff is still there, and that in and of itself is a deal breaker. And like you mentioned, the interior doesn't have the same quirkiness of the R53, or the R56. And the supercharger whine, one of the coolest things of the R53 and what it sets it apart not only from the turbo'd MINIs but other cars, obviously isn't going to be there.

But until we all get some seat time, you're right, maybe it'll drive great and be reminiscent of the "unrefined" first MINI, but I doubt it.

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  15. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Huh..... British 62.8MPG..... Cool

Hope they learned how to do timing changes this time around....

16. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Reviews are positive on the driving experience, moreso the Base than the S though. One thing that will help the car is the lower center of gravity, but it looks like the S pushes a bit; the Cooper looks like the better option in it's class for the track from Top Gear's article.

It looks like the stock suspension has been improved, and the wheel feedback is better than on the R56. It looks like they've pushed to make it more civil, which is ok, but I keep seeing the word "refined" which isn't my thing (I understand it is for most people buying the car though). I hope they make the JCW or GP a bit less "refined", for those who want a car with a bad attitude rather than gracious manners. Can't wait to drive one.

17. SooperCooperInfo

May 31, 2009
    Retired aircraft salesman
    Land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
  18. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I will go and test drive one of each (Justa and S ) when they show up at my local dealership.

I am also going to take a picture of my R53 next to an F'ed 56 from all different angles to show the differences.

19. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    On the positive side, the R53 & R56 folks have now become friends, so they can complain about the F56. :Thumbsup:

Soon Barry will have to plan two MOTD's. One for the "R" series folks and one for the "F" series people. :lol:

20. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I figured it would drive OK & I'm glad it does. I am a bit surprised that the S handling was not liked as much as the Cooper especially since the one driven had the wizbang electro-struts.

Knowing that it drives well eases my mind. To me it looks like the offspring of a Countryguy Pacman union. Man there is not one good angle to look at that thing. Sure hope it's personality can trump its looks. When the next gen MINI comes out we may look back on this toad & describe it as cute. :frown2: