2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Munchen, wier haben Ein Problem!

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by david in germany, Feb 6, 2011.

1. david in germany

david in germany New Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Munich we have a problem!!!
    So BMW replaced the banjo bolt on my turbo oil line about 2 months ago because there was oil on my turbo... This morning MORE oil than last time and I made the mistake of lightly touching the oil feed line... Pop, it slid into the banjo coupling... My oil line is broken inside the crimp... I start the car and oil flows, does not drip, it flows!!! Time to call the BMW hotline. Guess tomorrow is a sick day so I can pick up a loaner...

Metalman, looks like I will be stopping by the main BMW dealer, know what that means?? :)

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Maybe a trip through the parts catalogue?

Hope all goes well with the oil line replacement, I've read where others have had the same problem. Have them top up the oil, just in case.

3. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it has happened before.

[​IMG]

4. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yep, when I go to pick him up! :)

Yep, that is my problem! They just replaced the 2 copper gaskets on that piece in December. I think it was just the planets aligned, the nice drive my wife and I had yesterday and it cooled down and.. POP. I have a little 118i loaner till they fix it.. Wish they gave me a diesel..

5. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    So apparently this 700euro ($974.25) repair is not covered under my extended guarantee... BMW Munich (main BMW) asked ME why my local BMW is not doing this as a good will repair...

More to follow...

6. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My guarantee is not going to cover it.. BUT if I would have driven the car as it was and the engine/turbo blew because of lack of oil... it would have been covered..
    Price is now up to 800+ euro :( but BMW is going to see if they can cover some of the costs.. either way, I should have him back tomorrow.

7. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    To top it off, since I learned that I would be fitting the bill, I turned in the 118i loaner and drove my Lancia today with the main seal leak.. Now I have an exhaust leak too... (on top of the exhaust where I will need to drop the exhaust to re-weld it..). Today was not my day...

8. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Now, somehow that just does not seem right. :nonod:

Jim

9. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    If it was fixed before then it should have a warranty from the dealer from the date of repair. My local dealer in the US gives 2 years unlimited mileage on their repairs regardless of the existing factory warranty.

10. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Since last time it was the gaskets that failed the line itself is not covered this time

11. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    That is definitely a very strange fitting. Just for giggles, I checked mine. It's not leaking..... However, I'm able to move the line slightly side to side within the crimp fitting. It's almost like a partial swivel fitting. So there must be some type of flexible "O" ring or gasket inside the crimp area. I've never seen a fitting made like that. Of course the banjo fittings I'm used to, don't leak.

David, time for the good will approach at the dealer. After all, it's obvious they disturbed this fragile connection when they replaced the copper seal on the banjo fitting the last time.

12. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I have the car back but I have come to the decision, Part will fail again, I am certain of it.. This one lasted almost 60k miles but I will make it better before it fails again.. It looks like the banjo bolt is a common size and there are lots of options out there for SS lines for other models that look like they would work. I really do not like the stock feed line as it is REALLY small and the coupling seems like it is free floating inside the crimp (I can move it around) I think they rolled the inside and added a small o-ring to keep it sealed..
    All please keep an eye on yours. Most of you will be covered for this repair because you have a longer guarantee than I have but once you are out of guarantee.. $$$$

My cost so far was just under $400. but they haven't added the rental car they gave me yet and as a good will gesture they knocked off 50% of the labor.

13. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Can you post a slightly further out shot so I can check mine. I'm not quite sure where in the engine bay this is. I have 1 year left on my warranty and I want to keep an eye on anything and everything that is even remotely problematic

14. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    This pic is actually from the direction of the firewall looking forward to the turbo. looking from the front of the car, the first line you see is a water feed line. This line comes off and runs between the engine and the turbo.

15. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Facing the engine, to the right side of the heat shield over the turbo, the rear most tube & fitting with a hex bolt head on top.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Anyone want to work with me to create a bolt on braided stainless steel kit together? I see this being a major weak point of our turbos and we need to do something about it!

17. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    #17 k-huevo, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
    Here's what you get now when the dealership replaces the tube; a clip-on heat shield. The crimp is a little different too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Yeah, I always wondered what that was supposed to protect. By looking at the image of the hand embossed on the main heat shield, is this supposed to protect the "pinkie"?
    What do you think it's purpose is? Protecting against burns from the oil line?

No...... I think I have it figured out now.... It's so you won't notice the oil leaking again after this factory upgrade repair.

So it looks like they improved the "crimped" oil line?

19. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Awesome. Thanks