1st Gen R53 Cooper S My 2005 R53 Daily Driver build thread

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by fishmonger, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    This is interesting.. I’ll have to try and see if the GP2 does that. I know driver side does auto up.. not sure on passenger side. Regarding opening it up by the key fob.. assume that would be just “holding down” the unlock button?

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,886 / 10 / -3
    Yes you can program it so when you start you car the default is off not on.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,886 / 10 / -3
    Look in the manual. On the Gen2 cars there is a lot on programing the owner can do. Like holding the unlock button and the doors unlock then the windows roll down.

4. Rainman768

Rainman768 Active Member

May 3, 2012
    Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    On my '11 both windows will do the auto up. Not so much for the '09 and '15. On all three, holding down the unlock button will open both windows and sunroof (where applicable).

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    30 miles on ice and snow today. Traction control is far too aggressive, but I still only turned it off a few times when the car just didn't want to go at all :)

As for programming - I assume that is all done with NCS Expert. Was going to buy a cable and the software a while back. Read about some things you can do with it. Coding examples I saw looked like it is all in German, but that's fine, since it is my first language.

6. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I'd love to dig around in the coding on Rufus. It's a Canadian car and I think he still has Canada as the origin country. I'm wondering if changing that to US will help fix some of the dash light wierdness I've got because of the US gauge face design and the Canadian speedometer unit and programming (the 'door open' signal turns on the 'brake' light on the speedo, for example). That's a task for another day... lots of other things to keep me busy for now.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

Nope it is not in NCS Expert. You need to find someone like Mike Marzo at Detroit Tuned that has a 3rd party program he has and knows how to use it. NCS Expert is what the dealerships use but BIG BROTHER BMW does not give them access to everything that is able to be programmed in the car. NCS Expert can’t do what 3rd party programs can do.

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    It’s “traction control” or as MINI / BMW call it Dynamic Stabiliity Control. It is way too aggressive for someone that knows how to drive. Turning it off is like setting you car in race / track mode or regular mode for us older people that learned to drive before that tech crap was added to cars.

9. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    I will say - living in the south, I’m glad some people have it... :)

10. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    snow here for a few days before the side roads were cleared. With the new BF Goodrich all season rubber, the car works quite well on the white stuff, even with the TC on. Just drive it right and it won't kick in too frequently. I am glad I didn't buy winter tires - given I have driven a total of 250 miles since Dec 23, the last time I got gas, the expense of mounting/unmounting and the tires themselves would not have made much sense.

Getting a little warmer again today and tomorrow, so maybe it'll get a quick bath. I've managed to keep it out of the worst salt so far, so the car will likely still appear like it never saw salt after this season is over.

11. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    What is this 'snow' you speak of? :D

We only get 1-2 ice/snow storms a year here in Charlotte. I'm lucky to have a nice little Volvo crossover (FWD, but a nice ride height, all-season tires and a small enough engine that you can't really do too much stupid stuff when driving around town, even when it is icy) as my daily driver when It's just me. If we go any distance, we take the Audi A6... tons of power, but the quattro 4WD helps keep the car pointed the way you want to go unless you do something silly or get in too much of a hurry.

Rufus, with the extreme summer performance tires, stays cozy in the garage when it's cold out (or when the engine is in pieces, as it is right now, while I wait for fuel injector o-rings and clips).

12. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    Snow has become a rare entity even here in the upper Midwest. We used to get 100 inches per winter, but now, if I were to add up what I shoveled so far this season, we may be around 15" max and a lot of that was fluffy light powder.

Last weekend we got the most snow of the season over two days, but as of today, only a fraction of that is still on the ground. 40+F for two days, lots of sun, and we are back to dry salty roads with maybe 2" of snow where no plow has gone. I sold my big Toyota 4x4 and when faced with the choice between Subaru WRX and another Mini R53 as my daily driver to use year round, the choice to go with another Mini was quite easy. I thought I might need proper winter tires, but as stated above, that fat bike with studded winter tires works far better anyway, so that's my new winter situation. Yes, there will be days I wished I had a big old 4x4, but the cost/depreciation of such a monster just don't make sense given our changing climate. I also don't plant to spend too many more years around these parts. The mountains in the west is where I want to live, and depending on where that may be, I may look at that Subaru again.

13. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    Just ordered a cable and NCS Expert plus other software collection. Not for traction control, but to disable the silly bulb check the car does on first key turn (and later I guess as well). The goal is to reprogram a few things like how the car unlocks and disable bulb checks that make LEDs flicker. It may even let me do something about that seat occupancy sensor so I can put the Sparcos into the dark silver car this year..

14. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    Quick update, as we are still getting snow, two of the Minis are still in hibernation. The blue daily made it through winter just fine. Two tanks of gas is all I needed.

Last night I installed those Blind spot mirrors - https://www.ecstuning.com/b-helix-parts/blind-spot-mirror-set/mr-mir50a~hlx/

Not the greatest quality as already pointed out by somebody in this thread. One of them separated when I tried topush it on the motor mount. Back to the shop, preheat glass with heat gun, hot glue gun and fixed it. The blue tint takes some getting used to, but before I spend double to get the Euro OEM mirror glass.

The field of view is significantly improved, especially driver side. Will post some image soon.

I've spent a few weekends messing with NCS Export and other software, installing cable and drivers on Windows 10 (not for the faint of heart with software written for win XP 32 bit). Cable then needed some soldering to make it the version for pre-2007 BMWs. I am starting to understand why so few R53 owners mess with this software. But I now have far too much time in to give up. Some success so far with reading my entire car settings to file for a backup, but am not ready to edit and write back to the ECU until I can verify my software is complete and working. Some R50/53 files for individual modules appear to be missing, or I just don't understand it enough. It's messy, and I don't want to brick my car's ECU just because I am impatient, all to get some flicker out of LEDs and maybe change a few other settings.

15. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Nice parts! You used to be able to order the OEM heated side view mirrors for Europe for a similar price... they were hemispherical, but didn't have the "Objects in mirror may be closer..." text. I ran a group order w/ several folks in Dallas w/ a parts guy I knew in Pittsburgh, but I think MINI USA got wise to it when our order went through and they blocked the import of those parts the next week because, technically, they aren't legal in the US.

I may need to get a set of those.

Good to see an update to this thread. I'm almost done with Rufus, so you need to pick up the pace! :p

16. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    My son is going to begin some work on the red car in 4 weeks after he gets home from college. His room is filled with parts and new tools (welder!) that are waiting to complete his install of a new interior (ditch all the red surfaces with new door cards and dash parts he got), then we'll likely swap seats with the dark silver car and have the covers of his seats redone with some alcantara in the area where the red cloth has become ugly, then replace the covers on my seats with his. That also will bring heated seats into his Florida spec car. Meanwhile I may go all crazy with weld-in cage and buckets or postpone that until next year.

The daily driver here will get some attention for sure. I still have that weird noise in the rear, even tough I had the rear brakes completely apart. New bearings will be my next move. Also need to address the wonky steering wheel feel when I get into parking lots. Something is not right up front, and it likely is the steering rack, or something in the steering wheel u-joints and bushings. Mostly feel it when it's cold and going slow. Beyond that I'll be ding the engine damper, drop the subframe for ball joints and bushings, etc - pondering he brake system but it's near new and works. Can't make up my mind regarding what to do, although most likely it'll be an R56 update. Anything more than that isn't worth it on that "daily driver' :)

Fresh image from last fall sunset drive - processed this one yesterday

[​IMG]
    Mini with the sky on fire

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,886 / 10 / -3
    What a great picture!

18. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    Taking this info to my car thread, since it applies more to what I am about to do than the headlight swap thread.

I think I have my NCS Expert software working. Still haven't coded anything on the car, but it all seems to work the same as many others show on youtube. I've read car settings and the module data for the BC1.C05 module that controls light checks, remote control modes, unlock settings, etc. but I want to start with the disabling of the bulb checks that make some of my lights flicker. This is not the kind of flicker while the bulb is lit, but flicker induced by bulb condition checks while NOT lit, causing LEDs to light up briefly like a strobe light.

Here's a video of a German guy with a BMW that has LEDs in the fog lights - the effect is clearly visible here on ignition turned on. The part I learned form this video is that you need to disable both, cold and warm monitoring. Warm does not mean the "bulb is warm" but "the engine is running" - basically, high beams and fog lights with LEDs will blink every few seconds like an ambulance unless you have them turned on. Since you don't want to drive with your high beams on all the time you either stick with halogens or you code out these bulb checks. My HID bulbs in the low beams do not blink, but they are useless in the high beam position.Go to minute 0:40 for the flicker demo in the video

After fixing the cable I bought to work with the older Mini ECU port (solder pins 7 and 8 together) and fighting windows 10 to install .Net 3.5 needed (for NCS Dummy I think), it was several complete installs and uninstalls before I finally got the software work . It was a matter of having the proper versions of R50 "Daten" files in all places where they are used, and that is several folders in three programs.

I am still learning what I can do with it and from here on it is baby steps to actually code parts of the ECU. First I'll change one tiny thing I can easily check, then one code change at a time until I get more comfortable, especially with rolling things back to what it was before. There's really not a hell of a lot one can change to improve the car from what it is, but there are a few annoying things I want to get rid of, such as the 2 minute auto lock after you unlock and then not open a door. I want all doors to unlock on the first key press on the remote, plus a few other changes. More on that when I actually do code them.

19. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,886 / 10 / -3
  20. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    I haven't seen anything that would suggest the computer was different for the early cars, although there are many versions of these modules in the software, as features did change over time.

Would assume that these bulb checks existed from the early cars on, so 2002 will blink as well if you put LEDs in there. High beam and low beam, unless it was an HID car and then the low beams are disabled from the check, I assume to protect the ignitors. On my HID car the low beam check is disabled, all other bulbs are on.

The computer in my car does check almost all outside bulbs, and there's even a check for interior bulbs, which may explain why my boot light flickers (but none of the others. I am guessing the boot light is hooked to a rear brake or position light check circuit).

High beams, low beams if not HID, position lights, blinkers, brake lights except for the third one up high, fog lights and rear fog light if exist, as well as license plate light are all on the cold/warm checklist of the computer. Put in LEDs and they will flicker. I always wondered why the LED lights I got for my rear plate from Outmotoring were flickering, even though they were a "drop in replacement" - forgot to tell me that little detail about the computer in the product description...