1st Gen R53 Cooper S My 2005 R53 Daily Driver build thread

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by fishmonger, Sep 24, 2017.

1. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    thanks for the pointers. Gonna be a few more days before I will get to the application. I'm one hood and half a door into the polishing, and with that gravel road history of the car, I think it'll take 3 or 4 more evenings before it's done. I keep getting side tracked by stuff like the rear number plate having scratched the paint below, faded hood stripes and then I polished off the black edges on the stripes and had to break out the sharpie to fix that.

What do you use on plastic (front A pillar) or vinyl like the stripes? I think the video I saw mentioned not to use Mohs on that. Also - does it go on glass? I so, why would I want to do that?

Got the car completely assembled first time in a month. Still on jack stands until I am done with the beltline polish.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #102 Dave.0, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    I use Sonex perfect finish for the A-pillar and then coat it with Gyeon Prime or MOHS. I can and have cut / polished the whole car with Sonax and it looks awesome.

You only need the small 250 ml tube ($25.00) as it goes a long way. I use it on my Rupes duetto with a yellow Rupes pad and it returns a perfect black mirror finish on the A pillar that matches my glossy black mirror covers.

http://www.esotericcarcare.com/sonax-perfect-finish/

For vinyl or trim I use Gyeon Trim on wheel arches, roof drip rail. I have never had any problem using MOHS oe Prime over vinyl hood stripes on others cars and I removed the strips from my car.

As for putting MOHS on glass it would be a waste of money. Just use something cheaper like rainX making sure you apply it correctly and you will not get streaks. Apply, haze, wipe down with wet towel then buff with a clean dry glass towel. People that always get streaking with rainX never do the wipe down with a wet towel before buffing it clear which leaves to much rainX on the glass.

3. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    time to summarize recent progress. Saturday, I finally got the car started to fill it with coolant. Checking for leaks all was ok - the new thermostat seemed to do its thing as well. When I bought the car, temps were going up and down by 25F for no reason. Perhaps that was because the belt was slipping and the water pump didn't run well at lower RPMs. Whatever that was, it's all be replaced and works well. Engine runs smooth, the only noise coming from the cracked resonator. I then drained the coolant again, given I had to flush out the remnants of a green anti freeze fill. What were they thinking? I will now drive it a few miles and then do another refill, sucking out what I can with a shop vac first. It'll be pretty close to a full replacement. I am starting to fill up a 5 gallon bucket with antifreeze. Need to find my recycling center stickers I got in the mail some months ago.

So now that the car was running again, I could have just put it back on its wheels, but the fog lights didn't arrive until Sunday, so while it was still on jackstands waiting for those, I started working on the paint. 4 hours with the clay bar on Saturday. Then Sunday the 105 Meguiars on the cutting pad, 205 on the finishing pad. I managed to do the hood and driver side door by end of day Sunday, and there are still scratches I could work on, but some are so deep, I'd have to chew away most of the clear to get them out. It's the "daily driver" I have to keep telling myself...

This car has never been detailed. My cutting pad needed to be washed after just a few square feet.

[​IMG]20171029_164727

There are areas that just won't get polished out - gravel roads left not only the fog lights sand blasted, the bumper is pretty messed up, too

[​IMG]

Then Sunday afternoon a polishing interruption as the Depot brand replacement fog lights arrived. Nice glass, useless adjustment mechanism. Definitely not an OEM duplicate. They even had bulbs in them, but I swapped just the housing for my HID bulbs.

[​IMG]20171029_161308

the bumper went back on and it looked pretty good down there. My eyeball level adjustment based on the old housing is close. I may need to tweak it one more time next time the bumper comes off, but I first need to get it out on the road to really see where we are.

[​IMG]

The white stripes on the hood had seen better days, even before I started with the paint correction. I managed to get a shine back into the vinyl, but on the edges my aggressive pad working the paint had chewed into the black lines. They were already a bit rough, but now there wasn't much left in some spots. So why not break out the Sharpie pen and fix it?

[​IMG]

Result was quite impressive - guess you had to see the before and after to really tell the impact of those lines

[​IMG]

4. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    Another detail - the previous owner had sharp sheet metal screws holding the rear license plate to the frame, and their sharp tips have left big holes in the paint under the plate. I sanded and repainted these spots to protect the tailgate from rust, then focused on how to keep that from happening again. First I added more padding to the back of the plate holder to keep any screws I may use from poking at my paint.

[​IMG]

Then I went into the bicycle parts bin for some nice stainless steel M5 x 10mm screws as well as stainless steel washers. Those are the correct thread for the frame, but I had to re-cut the thread inserts in the frame which were rusty. Now it all fits together nicely, just waiting for the paint and sealant to get done

[​IMG]

except for the paint, the broken resonator is the only major job left before I can take the car out on the road. There are a few minor things I still want to do before that, such as clean the HID projectors. They look all hazy compared to those in Chili Red. I am talking about the actual lens inside the housing, not the big glass covering the entire headlight unit. That, too, could use a good polish one of these days, but they really aren't that bad yet. The projectors, though, look like they have been dipped in milk.

5. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I like to use pan head machine screws installed from behind the license plate and fasten the plate on with chrome acorn nuts. The pan head screws don't bump up against the body. I don't like license plate frames and the acorn nuts dress up the license plate.

6. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Your car is looking great! :Thumbsup:

If you use a foam pad like the Rupes yellow pad they will stay cleaner longer. I have about 16 of those MF cutting pads because they get clogged very quickly and need to be changed out so often. You can stretch them from getting clogged so quickly by cleaning them with a stiff brush or a fine tipped screwdriver between adding more product when polishing.

When you work a panel for awhile and are about to add more compound/ polish turn the machine over and turn it on and rub short short brisselbrush or screwdriver on the pad to remove the spent compound / polish. Then add more product and keep going.

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Looks Great!!

8. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    more polishing last night, but slow progress after the cutting compound ran out and I had to do 5 passes with the finishing juice to get the scratches out. Focused on the rather good looking left rear quarter panel. 2 hours and I was happy with that corner.

More details - got me some "high end" single beam Trico Force aero wiper blades, and then the mirror flashed bulbs for the front turn signals. Bumper and wheel wells are installed, so those will have to wait until the next time I tear into that area (harmonic damper replacement probably

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

should get fresh cutting compound in the mail today, some aggressive foam pads and other stuff to complete the outside skin job more efficiently. I so want noise cancelling headphones for this job. If I did this more frequently I'd definitely get some.

9. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    I rub these pads ever other pass on a dedicated microfiber towel, but it only goes so far before they clog up faster and faster. I have 4 of these MF pads, but for backup I have a couple of foam pads as well. Just ordered another one from chemical guys, their most aggressive cutting pad, along with a bottle of 105 to have a more rapid initial cut. The car has never been buffed but has deep impacts from gravel wherever the oversized 215 tires could throw that stuff. The inside of the rims and the rear lower control arms appear almost sandblasted! Amazing the overall condition is so good, though. On the blue paint it's the bottom of the doors and the front bumper that seem to have taken the brunt of the abuse.

anyone ever take apart a Mini HID projector? I can find lots of youtube info on other cars, cleaning projector assembly and lenses, but not much for the R53 2005/6 HIDs

10. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    #110 agranger, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    The Xenons (with the pop-out headlamp cleaners) like on the EB you are polishing out, above? I did the Joey Mod on mine just a while back.

Take the lights off of the car... first use a torx bix to remove the 3 torx screws that hold the igniter (black rectangular computer module looking thing attached to the light housing. Removing those 3 bolts will let the igniter flip down and out of the way, so you can pull the light assembly out of the hole in the bonnet. Then disconnect the supply line for washer fluid (a pinch clamp and pull the hose). Then remove 3 nuts that keep the housing attached to the bonnet.

Remove the chrome trim carefully (the tabs are brittle, of course) with a tiny flat-bladed screwdriver.

When taking the lenses off, it's pretty simple to do with a heat gun. Apply heat to the circumference of side of the lens for 30 seconds and then use a plastic body-panel tool to pry the lens away from the housing. Just wedge the tool in there and twist. The lens is only held on with a messy black silicone glue (hence the heat) and 3 clips. The clips are pretty easy to find and you just push the end in (where the screwdriver is pointing) and do the pry/twist next to it to separate. Just go slowly and eventually the lens will peel away from the housing. See me pointing to the clip, below.

[​IMG]

The lens separates with a sickening, popping bubblewrap sound. When you hear that, you know you are doing it right! Just go slowly.

The inside, front trim just lifts out (maybe a clip or two, but mostly just sticky black goo holding it in place). I cleaned it up and sprayed it with matte black paint high temp paint and replaced it.

Install is the opposite of disassembly. Heat it all up, smash it together, reinstall trim and bolt it up.

11. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yeah you need to scrub them with a brush after a few passes to try and keep them clean.

Before I ordered more MF cutting pads I would spray them with distilled water and brush them out before going on to the next area.

Buffing with them damp pad will also help keep them from clogging with M105, keep the paint cooler temp wise and the pads moves very easily when lubricated. Just like water when wet sanding.

12. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    so you're saying you can't take the projector assembly out of the back of the housing? What a horrid design. I don't want to paint anything in there, just clean the little half ball HID projector lens surface and mirrors behind that. Guess I have to go medieval on it if that's the only way to get access :mad:

13. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Yep. If you want to clean the forward surface of the glass ball or the back surface of the plastic lens, you will have to remove the entire light housing from the bonnet and follow the process above. You gotta remember that they make this stuff so it is easy to assemble, not easy to service. :D

The bulbs are easy enough to get to from the rear of the unit, but the lenses are 'lifetime' in MINIs eyes.

14. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    "lifetime"... I hear you. I am replacing all the life-timers it seems. That black fuel filter is the best example of what happens after a lifetime.

Not much new stuff to report. Spent the entire evening polishing the passenger door with fresh pad and polish. Three more such days and the surface should be ready for coating. Cold here. Have to heat the garage already. Only one or two weeks and the dark silver car will go into hibernation for 4+ months. That is when I need to be more or less road ready with this car.

15. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    'Lifetime' has a different meaning to a new car engineer. To you and me, the word 'lifetime' means that the described part will last for the lifetime of the purchaser... meaning it should last at least 40-50 years beyond the sale date (assuming a buyer is generally at least 18-20 years old). To a new car engineer, 'lifetime' means 'until the car is out of warranty and I am no longer contractually required to give a damn'.

To MINI, the manual transmission fluid in an R53 is a lifetime fluid. WTF?

16. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    well, at least there are drain and fill plugs for the manual transmission fluid. My Toyota Tundra's automatic did not have such convenient features. The only way to replace the fluid on that was to remove the transmission cooler and tap into those lines. Dealer-only service, because you need to have the transmission at operating temp and plug in a service computer while you do that service with a custom pump and recovery unit. What a bunch of BS and one of many reasons I stopped buying Toyota after that vehicle (and almost 30 years of owning their trucks). It was almost $300 to have that fluid changed/flushed and it took 5 gallons of fluid to accomplish.

Saw a Jay Leno's garage video on a 50 year old unmolested OEM Jaguar E type that was in perfect working condition because it had been serviced and taken care of by the first owner. I don't know if our cars will ever last that long, but I am hoping to get a few more decades out of the Mini before we're out of gas or are forced to ride in self-driving things controlled by the "cloud" because nobody will insure you any longer in a "real car"

17. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    You are right... and the MINI has a dipstick as well. An honest-to-god dipstick! The last 2 new cars I've purchased had electronic sensors. My Porsche Cayman (a 2013, I think) required you to remove 8 fasteners before you could even see the engine!

18. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    but you really need an aftermarket dip stick. This car had a broken dipstick when I bought it (which hid the fact that the car was down 2 quarts on oil). On the the two other cars I have the $$ Cravenspeed dip sticks. On the "daily driver" I replaced it with a pretty stiff but usable metal RockAuto $10 unit. Maybe a future upgrade, but I didn't feel like shelling out that much cash for a freaking DIP STICK a third time. Maybe there is something to be said for sensors in modern designs :D

Yesterday I watched all sorts of R53 headlight removal and opening videos that I now feel like I can do this. Maybe Sunday, when I hope to be done with pain correction and the application of fancy sealants. One more night with the polisher, I think, maybe Friday as well. I was hoping to drive to the muffler shop, but the sealant needs time to cure. So the muffler fix has to wait until I can get away one day during the week maybe.

19. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    #119 agranger, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    The separation of the lens isn't nearly as hard or scary as you think it will be... just 30 second or so of heat, some prying, repeat 3 or 4 times then it pops open. No worries.

20. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    I like how I spelled paint correction wrong without the t... It's a slow process. Last night, 3 hours on the DA buffer, I managed to do the rear and front bumpers. Small pads because of the shapes, and 4 passes with the cutting compound on the front, 4 in back. Not much clearcoat left in front, but it's much nicer looking now. All the blue paint in it is done.

Tonight, before taking it off the jacks, I'll go underneath and do the Boeshield T9 treatment for the upcoming salt season. It hurts to think that I am going to drive it in that, but it's the daily driver I bought for that purpose.

Once of its wheels again, I'll buff the white top, which with the sunroof is a pretty quick 90 minute job, I'm guessing. Then it's cleanup time, vacuum the garage, and get ready for the sealant application. Hope to get two rounds of that in tomorrow night so that it can cure for a drive to the muffler shop on Saturday. It's going to rain all weekend here...

Once back home, depending on status of the muffler, I may dig into the headlights. Also, while researching the headlight opening, I more or less decided to build custom projector HIDs for the dark silver car. I've seen somebody selling modded Depo housings with Morimoto bi-xenon projectors that retain the "leveling motors" (for $900, ouch), which look like a real elegant solution saving you from hacking into your OEM housings, although I don't really care to retain those. I'm not sure what to think about that leveling motor part given the car has no leveling sensors. Anyone ever look into the details of how one would hook up such these aftermarket HIDs with leveling to a car that has never had HIDs?