Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    10k mile update:

Aside from the fender-bender early on the JCW has been trouble free the whole time. The first service was fast and easy.

I have basically stopped using "green mode" as it doesn't actually affect engine management. It just gives you a "game" to play to improve mileage. I have figured out how to maximize mileage in traffic with appropriate shifting.

I discovered that the car automatically rev matches. I had no clue it did that until I missed a gas blip on a downshift and the engine revved anyway. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I like matching my own gears but it is not so intrusive that it was stopping/interrupting me from doing it on my own. Another 2 points to the engineers.

I attended a local autocross. I did okay. Not great by any means but I was 77/149 in PAX. 8/46 in the "Novice" class. I realized three things afterwards: 1) Holy Crap I am rusty as hell after 5 years of not autox'ing and tracking. 2) Dunlop Run flats are CRAP autoX tires. Great for DD'ing. Lousy to AutoX on. 3) The skill is still there. I just need to wake it back up. My tires went to shit by the third run but I kept dropping 2-3 SECONDS every run.

I have been driving it basically everyday and every day I start it and it makes me smile. I love flipping it into sport mode, feeling it tighten up steering and sharpen the throttle response. It was still the right choice to buy the F56 JCW.

2. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I just tried a 4 -> 2 downshift for you on my way to work. It matched it. I had to be a bit gentle releasing the clutch but otherwise no issue.

I can say that on some of my more "spirited" drives I have ripped through gears as aggressively as I would on a racetrack. The match is unnoticeable even while I am rev-matching myself. It seems to know better than intervene.

Also here are a few more pics:

Da booty:
    [​IMG]

Interior:
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Well, I am now just about a year and 14,569 miles into ownership.

Couple of updates:

Yes, I do plan on modding it, a bit. More details further below.

So for the only consistent issue I have with it is the Satellite Radio. The antenna sucks so it cuts out awkwardly on the local freeways. Nothing obscuring the LOS to the Southern sky. Just cuts out. Kind of annoying. Didn't have that problem in the last two cars I had with satellite radio. I will complain at my 20k service. I doubt they will do much.

I am still enjoying my car every day. Everything still feels tight and sharp. No rattles or creeks.

I still haven't been using the "green" mode. I have been using sport more. So 70/30 Normal/Sport.

Since "discovering" the rev match feature I have basically ignored it. I still rev match myself and it's never gotten in the way.

So planned mods. I am pushing back my modding schedule from October to January. I am shooting two more late season major matches so I want to stay focused until then.

The mods planned are as follows:

- NM Eng Wheels 17"
    - Dunlop Direzza ZIIIs (still not 100% what size though)
    - ABF 600 Brake Fluid
    - Powerstop performace brake pads
    - Performance transmission fluid (Redline or Amsoil, maybe?)

I am waffling on one upgrade: Exhaust. I love the stock exhaust. It pops and growls. Sometimes I love that I can have an easy conversation in the car but other times I wish I had that extra dB of exhaust growl. Anyone know of somebody that has done exhaust mods to a JCW F56? Not just an S. They have a different exhaust set-up from what I understand.

4. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    29,356 mile update:

This car has done the Austin to Los Angeles run twice in the last 5 months. That's an additional 4k miles on that alone. I just had my 30k service (a tad early).

The way back on the second trip I hit a pothole on I10 so deep it tore the runflat at the rim guard. This warranted an immediate pull over. The emergency flashers went on automatically and the dash lit up and it gave me the "pull off the road immediately" warning. Not that I needed the warning. As a testament to the quality of the build, the rim wasn't damaged at all and the suspension wasn't knocked outta whack.

I'll skip the harrowing tail of getting towed to Phoenix and getting a tire (See the attached pic for a visual).

The funny thing was that I was getting ready to replace the OE tires since they were down to the wear-bars anyway. So, I skipped the run-flats and I have some nice sticky Continental tires that are also good in the wet. Honestly, I can't tell the difference in the ride comfort. The run flats have come a long way in 10 years.

This car is a still a blast to drive everyday. Sport mode is still a giggle. Clutch is still great and it runs well and there are no funky creaks or rattles.

My plans to mod the car are on hold for two reasons. 1) My shooting career isn't where I want it to be so I am putting more time there 2) The JCW GP is coming and if they don't suck I will buy one and track the hell out of it instead of modding this JCW.

Attached Files:

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    One should never question fine Italian engineering! They are fine cars. Alfa had a hemi before doge came along.:D

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

7. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    How so? Tons of cars I have worked on mount them separately. It usually makes for easier parts change/adjustments anyway.

8. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    It was simple to do. It is just way different than all of my other car experiences (90% done on an R53, so I know I have limited experience). It just looked so different... caught me off guard.

9. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I've always had R53s and they are the car that I've done most of my wrenching on... that and the maintenance on a few other cars like my Volvo XC60. I did a rear sway on a new MINI about a year ago and I can remember sitting there, looking at the rear suspension after getting the wheel off and thinking "Wow... look at that. WTF do I do now?" Luckily the job was much like an R53 and we had some printed instructions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, but they also had those damned Solex carburetors.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Oh and a Bentley manual.

12. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    That's a beautiful car! (Even if it isn't an R53)

13. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,026 / 6 / -5
    Very informative review Redbeard !!

14. enigmaj91

enigmaj91 New Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Awesome! Thank you for your review. I'm chomping at the bit until the day arrives that I order my JCW, let alone get the key fob in my pocket and push the Start button that first time. Can't wait!

15. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    It rumbles and pops on every start. EVERY start. It's awesome.

16. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Nice review Redbeard. You are the only person that matters when it comes to your car.

I'm waiting for the review of your review. :wink:

17. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Nicely said, it is a beautiful MINI! :)

Don

18. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Agreed - I test drove a new JCW before buying the GP... more to see what they were like. I liked it. Since I like to tune cars, I knew with a few quick add-on bits I could pull a good bit more power without much work (love turbo cars for that). One thing I did notice was the throttle blip on down shift. Same thing happened to me, was matching down shifts and frankly forgot when talking with the sales guy. It matched it. The thing I wondered was under “race” conditions how does it work? I.e. when you are going from 4th to 2nd for example. Any experience with that?

Nice looking JCW BTW.

19. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Interesting - I'll have to test that out. A buddy of mine had an early contour that "had" something, but all it really did was hold the rev. Didn't rev match as far as I could tell. Granted two entirely different cars. Good to know it works so well.

Regarding the pics - good looking. Is that a flat red lower to the dash? In the pic it looks flat with texture. Kind of cool. :D

20. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Yup. It's flat red. It's such a nice touch.