1st Gen R53 Cooper S MY MINI COOPER S 2006 112K MILES WONT START HELP PLEASE !!!

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by mad mini motor, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mad mini motor

mad mini motor New Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone,

my mini cooper s wont start i have tried to jump start it but that didnt work. i also tried it with a extra battery to the front and the back with a car i have re charged the battery, i drove the car on reserve for a long distance as i was lost and couldnt find the nearest petrol station, my dad said because i was driving it on reserve the dirt in the bottom of the petrol tank could have gone into the fuel pump and blocked it. it has done 112k miles the engine turns but it wont fire. can anyone please help me ?

THANKS ALOT ALL !

2. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Does it crank?

3. mad mini motor

Aug 13, 2012
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    #3 mad mini motor, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
    yes it does crank

4. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: The gear heads start coming back on line around 0800hrs in the morning. Try back then.:Thumbsup:

Jason

5. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Have you filled with fuel from Costco?

When the key is turned to the second position, do you here a couple clunks from the left rear seat area?

Turn the key to the second position for a few seconds and turn off, remove the intercooler and disconnect the fuel line; cover the quick connect fitting with a rag while disconnecting. If there is a lack of pressurized spray, the fuel pump is not working. A better test, attach a fuel pressure gauge to the Schrader valve on the end of the rail to see if pressure builds when the key is turned to the second position.

6. mad mini motor

Aug 13, 2012
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    hi k - huevo,

nope i havent filled up from costco, and if your reffering to the fuel pump i cant hear it when trying to start it. i am really confused and dont know what to do :(

7. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    You may not be able to hear it;

First pull a plug, re-attach it to the wire, turn the car over, check for spark. May actually not be the fuel system at all, at least this will rule out or bring into suspect the ingnition system.

If you have spark, the simplest way to check the fuel pump is to, pull the I/C, bleed the fuel system from the bleeder at the end of the fuel rail, (use a rag or something to catch and soak up the fuel from the bleeder), then go back into the car (don't put anything back together) turn the key to the run position without trying to start it, leave it on for a min. or so, turn the key off, go back to the bleeder & see if you've built up pressure again, if so fuel pump is fine, if not start on troubleshooting it.

8. mad mini motor

Aug 13, 2012
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    hi blwn away,

i will go through those things with my dads friend tonight he is a mechanic and i will share the outcome with everyone tonight. thanks for the replies all.

9. mad mini motor

Aug 13, 2012
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    hi everyone,

i tried the spark plug and they spark, all of the fuses are fine even the fuel pump one i put a new one in. now when we tried to send a current to the fuel pump it only goes up to the harness the fuel pump wire, it wouldnt go all the way to the fuel pump. i phoned one of my mates who does diagnostics and he said if you were driving it on reserve and after you turned it off and it was low on petrol and you constantly tried to start its most likely the fuel pump is gone, but when i took off the back seats there looks like mini cooper s have 2 fuel pumps ?????

10. mad mini motor

Aug 13, 2012
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi, it looks like im going to give the fuel pump a go ive ordered the main fuel pump and the sender unit, lets see how it goes guys , wish me all the best . will be back in a couple of days with the outcome, thanks

11. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
  12. mrclean

mrclean New Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    it definately sounds like a burnt out fuel pump. Never drive any car on empty always refill when you reach 1/4 tank. Some vehicles uses gasoline to cool the fuel pump before it burns out pre-maturely. good luck...it should start after you install the new pump.

13. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    ^ I agree. My wife was the Queen of the empty tank runners. She killed the pump in her Audrey A4. Thank goodness it was a warranty repair. That did not stop her, what did was running out of gas on the interstate at rush hour. Now she gets gas before it is too late or I do. :smilewinkgrin:

14. mad mini motor

Aug 13, 2012
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    ^^ haha lool thanks for the comments guys and i was driving for too long and it most likely is the fuel pump ive ordered it from ebay so it should arrive in 1-2 days and will let everyone know if it starts, once again thanks for all the comments and advice. many thanks :)

15. mad mini motor

Aug 13, 2012
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    hi everyone, i put a new main fuel pump and sender unit-air filter but the car still doesent start :( , i feel like blowing it up anyone got tnt ?

16. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Damn I'm sorry to hear that. Don't blow it up, sit back relax & have a beer while you think of other possible causes. Might be time to consult a professional MIMI wrench.

Good luck...

17. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    When this happened at first did you get any codes?

I'm only going to throw this out there just as an idea, because it happened to me, have you tried starting the car giving it throttle, pumping it or holding it to the floor?

The reason I ask is, that if the map sensor in the intake goes bad the car will not want to start or idle without giving it fuel to sort of force it around what the map sensor is telling the ECU is a problem. (when in reality the sensor itself is bad - this will usually give you a code though)

Just a "grasping at straws" thought.

Good Luck

18. mad mini motor

Aug 13, 2012
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    no i didnt get any codes yet the diagnostics electrician is coming round tomorrow and yes when i tried to switch it on i gave it some acceleration but this didnt help, one time a couple months ago when it was fine it wasnt firing it was just making the noise and when i gave it some acceleration it then switched on so this is very interesting. also i am gettting the car diagnosed tomorrow so i will find out what the problem is. thanks

19. miniconcarne

miniconcarne New Member

May 5, 2009
    Machinist
    Home
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Keeping our fingers crossed that it's not the ECU...

20. mad mini motor

Aug 13, 2012
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone, done the diagnostic check and a code for the crank shaft sensor came up. also the electrician reccomended me to change the spark plugs. so i have put in brand new ngk spark plugs but the car didnt start so im going to put a new crank sensor in and see how it goes. has anyone else had this problem ? i would be very gratefull if anyone has any information on how to fix it because iv spent alot of money recentley on parts so it starts but its not starting. plus i put a new fuel pump in and it still didnt start. thanks guys