1st Gen R53 Cooper S My MINI sounds like a Subaru!!!

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by panaphobic, Aug 22, 2013.

1. panaphobic

panaphobic Club Coordinator

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I have an '05 R53 with about 156k miles on it. I have some basic engine mods (15% pulley, plugs, wires, coilpack, intake & exhaust). Today, I was driving home from work when all of a sudden, my MINI started sounding like a Subaru. It was driving completely fine. No hesitation, no power loss, no check engine lights. Nothing out of the ordinary, except what it sounded like. I felt like someone just switched my motor out with a boxster engine from a WRX. I drove it for another couple minutes like that, checking the gauges on my Torque app and everything appeared fine and normal. Then after about 5 minutes of sounding like that, it stopped. Just as fast as it started, it ended and it went back to how it normally sounded. It was the weirdest thing. I don't really know what to think of it. What do you guys think happened?

Like I said, it ran perfectly fine like that, no loss of power, no hesitation, no check engine light. I stopped at a convenience store after the sound stopped. It turned off and on without any problem.

I'm pretty stumped about it. Have any of you heard of something like this happening before?

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Check everything including your oil.

3. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
  4. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Exhaust leak?

Dave

5. CamtheWookie

CamtheWookie New Member

May 17, 2009
    Huntersville, NC
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    My first thought would have been that it's missing on a cylinder but I would imagine that would be very noticeable and probably cause a CEL. I don't think an exhaust leak would come and go like that, but I suppose anything is possible. An exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold would sound like that.

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    It could be something getting loose inside of the exhaust system. This happened to me on a different type of car. It sounded odd then returned to normal for a little while. Then my exhaust system got clogged up. What hat happened is a small peace broke free first and made its way out, then more let go and clogged the system.

Or maybe your MINI is about to turn in to a sandal wearing granola eating Subaru. Have you seen it looking at tents lately? :biggrin5: :biggrin5:

7. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Tough to guess but I it could have been the exhaust getting clogged up. Maybe the Cat plugged and then unplugged. However, it the Cat plugged you should have noticed a decrease in engine performance.

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    It wouldn't have taken much debris to affect the sound and not performance.

Do you have a center resonator......this may be coming apart.

9. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    #9 panaphobic, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
    I have a cat back Group 4 Autosports exhaust. No muffler, no resonator. It's basically a straight pipe with an inline "bafflepack" and "glasspack" and it's been on my car for about 5 months (6k miles) or so. I swapped it out just before MOTD.

It had the same problem this morning when I started it up. Sounded just like a Subie again. This time I could hear a light tapping from the motor. Popped the hood and I could hear it. Sounded like a valve tapping the piston. Still ran fine performance-wise and after giving it a couple decent revs, the taping stopped along with the Subaru sound. I'm thinking one of the exhaust valves might be sticking and not closing all the way, hence the tap and possibly the Subie tone from the exhaust. If a valve isn't closing all the way, but still closing most of the way, I would expect this could cause the sound without a noticeable amount of power loss. What do you guys think?

I will see if it sounds like that again when I start my car later today and I will try to get a video of it so you can hear it as well.

For the most part, I don't beat on my MINI. I do rev it out every once in a while but for the most part, I keep it under 4k rpm's on most days

The other idea I had was the upper cat is starting to fall apart and little bits were getting stuck in the lower cat, but with hearing the valve tap this morning, I'm guessing a valve job is in the near future....

10. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Try changing your oil and remember it takes a few seconds for the oil to get from the pan to the valves at start up.

What oil are you running? (Weight)

How often do you change it?