Most liked posts in thread: My MK2 VW GTI 20V 1.8T Projekt

1. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I got everything going today. I just need to have the downpipe welded to the exhaust tomorrow morning. After that I need to do some detailing to get ready for Vegas. There is a lot more room in the bay, but I need to wait for my catch can to get here form 034 Motorsports tomorrow to wrap it all up. I was boosting 18 lbs today without software. I have made arrangements to get the ECU updated in Vegas and can't wait to drive it after that.

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Scirocco R...............:drool

3. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Rear seats match the front now:

IMG_9388.jpg

and I have some more shiny parts to add:
    GTI002.jpg GTI003.jpg

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Yay..Updates!!

ohhhh shiny bits :ihih:

5. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I had this exact same experience. I came around a turn (Ricochet at MSR Cresson, TX) a bit too hot and off line from a pass and thought I could save it until the back end snapped around on me. Time seemed to speed down to 1/5 of normal. I can remember watching my hands move in slow motion as I straightened the wheel and can remember seeing both feet head to the brake and clutch. The very moment where I thought to myself "OK... I've done all I can do... it's time to hold on and hope it comes out OK", my local time jumped into hyperspeed and tried to catch up with the rest of the world. I did 2 complete revolutions (1.5 of them in the dirt) and coasted out of it WAY off track. One of the tires had unbeaded, collected several handfulls of grass and then re-seated itself, amazingly. With the windows down, it was like someone had tried to throw a bucket of rocks, dirt and grass in one window and out the other, but I came out of it relatively unscathed.

The sensation of time in these types of events is very strange. I remember hearing a story on NPR about research into these types of events. It came down to the way the brain discards large amounts of information from our daily lives but seems to kick into overdrive to capture as much information as is possible when this kind of thing happens.

6. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Very cool project. I wanted one version of Scirocco or another for years but always had reason to buy something else. Great engine.....would love to work on a project like that.....very jealous. Keep us updated!

7. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, unfortunately there won't be much progress for awhile since I am working on getting the donor stripped and parted out to pay for this. Nov is the target date to pull the engine. I just want to make sure that I have everything ready before then.

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Quite the project...and thanks for sharing it with us.

9. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Cool restoration !

Is that an '86? I had an '84 for a bit, but sold it to get a family car and didn't want to part with my '78.

Have fun!

10. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    in for the fun stuff. more and more, I'd like a project like this for the third car...since the other two are less than 5 years old.

11. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    It is an 87. I love having it sitting out there. If i have free time, I can just say, "I'm going to go work on the car." :cornut:

12. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Worked on the donor today:

IMG_7861.jpg

I got all of the wires unplugged and pulled out. I labled most everything as well to make things easier later on.

IMG_7862.jpg

Here's a pic of the Rocco's engine bay. It is almost a shame to take it out since it is running so well now:

IMG_7866.jpg

13. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Need to find a good new home for it then, eh?

14. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Yes that is the plan. Hopefully I'll get a buyer lined up for it when it comes out in Nov :idea: If I get everything sold, I'll be into this for no cost or even a profit :D

15. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I got a 90 GTI the other day for $500 to be a daily driver back-up while I swap the 20V into the Scirocco.
    IMG_7879.jpg IMG_7885.jpg

1990 MKII GTI with an ABA swap in it.

The good stuff:

Corrado Brakes
    Stainless Steel Brake Lines
    FK Struts
    H&R Springs
    Techtonics catback
    Nice interior

The bad:

Doesn't run due to a bad head
    It has a MKIII 2.0 ABA swap so I have no clue what was done to it, or what needs to be done to make it run
    Needs a New Grill and Front Bumper
    No Rear Bumper
    Minor body damage
    Horrible black paint job that was sprayed over the red without any prep
    I need two wheels to fit over the Corrado calipers
    Bad head on the ABA

IMG_7888.jpg IMG_7877.jpg IMG_7880.jpg IMG_7881.jpg

The original plan was to put my extra 20V 1.8T in my Scirocco, but after getting this car it just makes more sense to leave the Scirocco a 16V since it is running really great. Since the GTI isn't running and needs engine work, I'm just going to do the 20V swap with it.
    With the Scirocco, I was waiting until November to start this, but with the GTI I can get started now.

Working a couple of hours each day after work the last week I was able to get the engine out:

IMG_7895.jpg IMG_7900.jpg

Now it is time to start cleaning it up in there, shaving the bay, and getting it prepped for paint. Thankfully since I am in the desert, there really isn't any rust on it.

Now that i have a hoist and stand, I am going to get the 1.8T pulled and on the stand tomorrow. I'll also get the rest of the donor car stripped so I can get it out of the driveway. Using the GTI will make this swap a lot easier, but it still will not be easy. The big dilemma I have now is that I really love the GTI interior and I'm just not sure if i want to use the newer dash in it. If I dont use it, it will make the wiring more complicated, but I still plan on completely swapping the harness. Looks like I need to change the title to the 1.8T MKII GTI Projekt

Here's a pic from the end of today:

[​IMG]

16. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    My HOA would have a fit! They gave me grief over a perfectly running cosmetically fine but unregistered in TX Jeep.

17. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I know what you mean. I got grief for a new and registered trailer in my own driveway for a couple weeks -- "no trailers may be parked, viewable from the street, for an extended period."

------------------

Batrugger: Click the "report post" button or send me a pm if you want the thread title changed.

18. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    All of this is in back of my house and we don't have a HOA. We just have to worry about the city. The donor can't be seen from anywhere on the street. The GTI is sitting at the top of my driveway which goes all the way down the side and past the back of the house and it can be seen from the street. I am going to put some front wheels on it (I have to take them off of the back of the Rocco) and move it next to the storage shed and it won't be visible either. Hopefully I'll get the wreck out of here this week. I have a friend who recycles cars and he going to come and haul it away for me when it is ready.

19. imspencerwithanr53

imspencerwithanr53 New Member

May 27, 2009
    Barista
    Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Awesome! I love MarkIIs. What other plans do you have for the GTI? Are you going to switch the OEM leather Recaro's?

Anyway good luck and i'm looking forward to your progress.

20. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I am going to redo everything on it, but right now the emphasis is going to be on getting the swap to work. The car has cloth seats and the interior is my big conflict now. The original plan was to put a the MKIV dash in it to work with the cluster, but I really like the interior the way it is. I need the cluster in the car though because of the ECU.

Yesterday I was able to get the 20V pulled from the 03 GTI:
    IMG_7903.jpg

I also pulled the drive by wire pedal and the cable shifter. I think that is about all I need now, but I am going to hang on to the shell for awhile longer to make sure I have everything I need. The weather was cold and windy today So instead of cleaning the engine bay and engine I sorted my tools and cleaned the garage because I was sick of taking too much time trying to find the right tool to get the job done. When I was finished, I saw a Kodak moment in the driveway:

IMG_7909.jpg