My MK2 VW GTI 20V 1.8T Projekt

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by Batrugger, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Here is some of what I have been up to:

I installed the MKIV horns so they just plug into the harness:

[​IMG]

Here is the lower wiring harness mounted in the same location as the MKIV using the same mount. I made a template and cut it out and it fits great and will be waterproof

[​IMG]

Here you can see the MKIV HVAC mounted:

[​IMG]

I messed up and had the painter fill the wrong hole and I also cut the lower post off because I thought it wasn't needed to secure it. Fortunately it is still secured tightly and the hole will be covered by the heat shield. This allows me to run the AC compressor from the MKIV engine, the coolant lines for the heater core, and it is all plug and play with the wiring and dash.

I added some poly inserts to the rear mount so now all of the motor mounts are upgraded:

[​IMG]

Here's som close-ups of the polished bits:

[​IMG]

I ordered a new rain tray yesterday to cover up all of the wiring and ECU. Here is how it all looks now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still need to ground a few wires in there and Here are the wipers installed. I swapped the motor from the MKIV into it so it is plug and play with the harness and will have all of the settings that the MKIV had:

[​IMG]

I was getting ready to work on the car today and realized that I hadn't taken care of the new paint in the bay. I pulled everything out that wasn't bolted on and washed, clay barred, hand polished, and waxed it. I am going to buff out the wax tomorrow, but I buffed it off of the firewall and got the MKIV heat shield installed:

[​IMG]

It is ugly, but with the turbo there it is necessary. Tomorrow I am going to get inside and start working on the dash and wiring. I still have that steering column to do as well. For the engine, I ordered a set of the Gruvenparts pullies and I have been talking to Eurojet to get a street core, TIP, DV, and coupler to run my upper tube. Once I get the engine in, I'll figure out what to do about the rest of the piping.

2. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I buffed up the bay so now it is ready for everything to go back in. I used Prima Mystique to wash, claybarred it all, hand polished it with Prima Finish, and applied Prima Epic which I let sit overnight. Here is the result:

IMG_8340.jpg IMG_8341.jpg IMG_8342.jpg

Not much else to look at. I am trying to get all of the wiring run.

3. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I got my EBC Redstuff pads today so I put the brakes on:
    IMG_8347.jpg IMG_8348.jpg IMG_8350.jpg

I still need to order some stainless steel lines and hit the junkyard for new hard lines since they were frozen on and I had to cut them to get them off. I also decided that I needed to stop putting the dash off so I got started on that today:

IMG_8351.jpg

I only got the template done before my light ran out. I'll try and take lot's of pics of this since I haven't found a MKIV dash swap DIY anywhere. From pictures of swaps I have seen, it looks like the window cranks are not practicle and since i am using the whole MKIV harness, I ordered a set of Spal window regulators and I also got a used sunrof motor from the classifieds to make everything power in the interior. I also ordered the last of th engine goodies that I needed:

Eurojet Turbo Inlet Pipe

[​IMG]

Eurojet Frag Grenade Diverter Valve

[​IMG]

and I am also getting one of their street intercooler cores and a complete Gruvenparts pully set:

299.jpg

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Shiny Pulleys...oh ah..

5. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    You know that grenade is going to be polished too :D

6. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I got a new ABS rain tray from the dealer yesterday. Of course my rain tray has been modified, so I had to do some cutting on this brand new part in order for it to fit:

IMG_8352.jpg IMG_8356.jpg

This really cleans things up. I am going to spray the exposed areas with bed liner and once I get the weather stripping on it is going to look really clean up there. I did some hacking on the dash too, but my Dremel brushes died. The pulleys also got here so I will try and get them on the engine tomorrow.

7. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    I used to work on Dubs at AWE Tuning. Things have come a long way in the VW world since the days of a strut brace and a Neuspeed sticker.:Thumbsup:

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Ain't that the truth Eric.....had both on my '78 Scirocco (and the big bore throttle body for a short period of time.....lol)

9. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Awe tuning does good stuff :Thumbsup:.

10. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    #70 Batrugger, Apr 22, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
    Last week I got my Gruven pulleys in the mail and after putting them on and seeing that billet aluminum next to the dull alternator and tensioner, I decided that some more polishing needed to be done. They were finished today and here is how they turned out:
    IMG_8359.jpg IMG_8360.jpg IMG_8362.jpg

After this I still need to get the transmission polished. I am going to definitely swap it for a newly rebuilt one with a Peloquin diff and TDI 5th gear. I just need to get it all coordinated with the guy.

11. Wikedmini

Wikedmini MINI of the Month - December 2009

Aug 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    WOW!!!! once i pay off the MINI... the Rabbit will get the most work done to it. Makes me wanna to work on the rabbit nooowwww...

12. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I have mostly been doing a lot of things that aren't too visible. I added power windows and mirrors, installed a motor for the sunroof, gutted the interior and am now trying to figure out how to sort out all of the wiring. I also got some things back from powder coating:

Headlight and radiator supports

IMG_8374.jpg

Also a fan shroud from a Corrado that I had modified:

IMG_8373.jpg

The Corrado radiator has the inlet and outlets on the same side as the MKIV do it will make running the hoses a lot easier. I removed the Corrado belt driven secondary fan and with a little cutting and welding on the fan shroud, I was able to mount the relay controlled secondary fan from the MKIV. It is thicker than the Corrado fan, so I had to space it on the one side so it would clear the radiator. I will wire the pigtails from the primary fan and temp sensor into the MKIV harness and it should function just like it did on the GTI:

IMG_8378.jpg

13. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    So, what color is this car going to be when it's all done?

You had the engine compartment painted that beautiful cream color, but then you had your core support and headlight surrounds done in black, and I swear in some of these pics the car itself is actually red! :confused5:

Looks like it's coming along now, how soon before you fire it up?

14. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    #74 Batrugger, May 4, 2010
    Last edited: May 4, 2010
    Yeah the rest of car has a really bad cheap black that was sprayed over an un-prepped red paint. Nothing was removed when it was done so that is why you see the red parts. Of the shiny black parts, only the top of the headlight surround will be visible, so it will be cream and black when the hood is opened. I am doing a two tone with the bay different than the rest similar to this:

015.jpg

except that the outside color is going to be close to this:

21153983.jpg

15. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Vely EEEnteresting..........:cool:

16. imspencerwithanr53

imspencerwithanr53 New Member

May 27, 2009
    Barista
    Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
  17. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Thread title changed at the request of the OP to My MK2 VW GTI 20V 1.8T Projekt to more accurately reflect the actual project.

18. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I swapped transmissions and took it into the polisher and was quoted $425 to polish the whole thing. Not a bad price, but it was too far out of what I could afford, so I decided to just go ahead and get it together. I did have him polish the starter. I also got my Eurojet turbo inlet pipe and diverter valve. When I went to pick up the starter, I brought in the diverter valve and he polished it while I waited. I came home and got those installed. Finally the engine is together and ready to go in:
    IMG_8382.jpg IMG_8383.jpg IMG_8384.jpg

I had to notch the front cross member to allow the SAI pump to fit, but my fabricator said it was good and he would reinforce it for me. Here it is finally sitting in the bay for a test fit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really needed to get this engine in, because I was getting frustrated and losing focus. I still need to pull it out again to reinforce the front cross member and torque it all to spec. I got some welding cable to move the battery to the rear. I have also moved the fuse box on top of the battery inside the car. Unfortunately the DIY for relocating the MKIV battery that I was using was lost after the Vortex move so I am going to be winging it to finish it up. I have to leave town for two weeks to attend a school for work. I will get back and have a week to get this together to drive to Wuste. At this point it is not looking like I have enough time, but I am going to do my best to make it there.

19. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    #79 Batrugger, May 15, 2010
    Last edited: May 15, 2010
    More pics:
    IMG_8415.jpg IMG_8416.jpg IMG_8417.jpg IMG_8419.jpg IMG_8420.jpg IMG_8424.jpg IMG_8391.jpg IMG_8425.jpg

20. drabdub

drabdub Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    looks good and i cant wait to see it done. my buddies shop is putting a vr into a cabby and its insane the amount of work they are doing.