My MK2 VW GTI 20V 1.8T Projekt

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by Batrugger, Sep 13, 2009.

1. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
  2. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Blimey. Since I live in California and am going to register this car as an engine change so it will be legal, I have to run the smog pump. The big problem with that is that the pump won't fit because of the front cross member. My fabricator who did the engine bay for me told me to go ahead and cut out the area where the pump was hitting and he would reinforce it for me so here is what I did:
    IMG_8477.jpg

and here is how it fits:

IMG_8474.jpg

I took the cross member to him and here is what he did to it:
    IMG_8487.jpg IMG_8489.jpg

He builds custom hotrods and he said that he wanted it to look clean and OEM instead of just welding up the cut out area. I think it looks awesome and should be plenty strong enough:

[​IMG]

He also fabricated the spacer and bolts for the shifter:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got my Eurojet street core and front grill:

IMG_8488.jpg

Since I am going to have the AC condenser from the MKIV and the inner headlights on the quad round grill, there will be no room to mount the intercooler behind the grill. I have a new small euro bumper on the way from TM Tuning so while I am waiting for that I got an old small bumper that I have laying around to see how it will all fit. Here is a quick mock up of what it is going to look like:

IMG_8496.jpg

My fabricator said he will do something nice to get it mounted. Right now I am waiting for the front bumper to get here next week and some more powder coated parts and the engine is going in for the last time. Everything is going to be plugged in , wired, connected, and filled by the next weekend. If I get all that done, I should be able to start it by next weekend. I am taking the two steering columns to my fabricator today to get the MKIV column adapted. Once that is done it will be time to get the dash sorted out. I am starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    It's great that you have these guys to run support for you by building custom brackets and doing mods like this - it's really turning out well!

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Very impressive project. Thanks for sharing it with us.

5. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    That is some very tight work on that cross member. I love seeing stuff like that. Way above my skill level.

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Your fabricator did a really nice job on that cross member.:Thumbsup:

7. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everybody. I have been waiting a long time to get the shifter back because it needed the one inch spacer to be installed and sit correctly. I cleaned out the original mounting underneath the car for the shifter and got it bolted in:
    IMG_8497.jpg

I decided to see what it would look like with the center console and here is what it looked like:

IMG_8498.jpg

Unfortunately it is sitting too low so I took the spacer off and re-installed it and it fit perfect with the center console:

IMG_8499.jpg

Basically all of the DIY for this were to fit it with a MK2 center console. Since I am using the MKIV one, it would have worked perfect without being modified so I could have had this in a long time ago. I will need to mount a small strip of metal across the back to bolt the rear of it though.

8. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    When I started this I knew that the three big hassles for me were going to be the shifter, steering column, and dash. Well now the shifter is finished and in:
    IMG_8502.jpg

The steering column is done:
    IMG_8504.jpg IMG_8503.jpg

So that is two of the holdups checked off the list. To mount the column and dash, I am going to cut and have the metal dash support from the MKIV welded in so it will bolt right in.

I also got some more powder coating done:
    IMG_8505.jpg IMG_8508.jpg

And some pretty stuff from TM Tuning showed up:

IMG_8501.jpg

E-Code inner and outer crystal lights, new clean Euro front and rear bumpers, and crystal front turn signals to go with the new badge-less quad round grill that I already had. I need to finish torquing everything on the engine and it will go in tonight for the final time.

9. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Kewlio. Man, this thing is coming together nicely.

10. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. Got the engined torqued, all the hoses clamped, and then dropped it in for the final time: IMG_8517.jpg

Here you can see that there is plenty of room for the SAI pump:
    IMG_8516.jpg

and the clutch master cylinder and shifter cables are attached to the trans:

IMG_8515.jpg

Today after work I am going to connect the axles, hook up the harness, and get the radiator, power steering, and AC lines connected.

11. drabdub

drabdub Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    looking good

12. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    #92 Batrugger, Jun 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
    I got all of the wires connected in the bay except for the lights because I will have to modify all of those. I still need to figure out connecting the battery as well since it is inside now and the DIY I was using from the MKIV forum is MIA after the forum switch. I got everything in the rain tray situated and the main harness in the cover. I put the front support on a little pre-maturely, but I wanted to see how it was all going to look. Tomorrow I am going to pull the support back off and run the power steering and AC lines. Once I get those on, the radiator goes in. If I can figure the battery out, I should be able to get it started by Sunday.
    IMG_8520.jpg IMG_8521.jpg IMG_8519.jpg

13. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Today was a drinking and swimming day, but I added a sticker, so I took a shot to show how bad the rest of the car looks:
    IMG_8537.jpg IMG_8538.jpg

You can see the rear of my 87 Scirocco, my 04.5 GLI, and the top of our new dog Titus

14. drabdub

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    more of the gli?

15. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
  16. drabdub

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    very nice. if i had to sell my R32 i would want a gli

17. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    You parted out your dog??? :D

18. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    LOL, nah he just snuck in there and I didn't notice it until later at the computer

19. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    A couple of things. Your project is impressive. I look forward to the final shots of the completed car.

Does this guy's car run like that? That bay is empty.
    [​IMG]

What the hell is a smog pump and do MINIs have one? The Wiki article was vague, but it sounded like it is just a catalytic converter nowadays.

20. drabdub

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    yep the guys car runs like that. its the joy of a shaved bay.

im not too sure about the smog pump stuff though