3rd Gen F56 Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: My thoughts on the F56

1. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    When you can keep your car right side up and on the ground for more than two weeks after you finish it, then you can hurl your poorly conceived nonsensical invective at us...:devil:

2. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Dave, is that you?

3. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    When (like what year, century) will the bitchin' about the F56 stop. I'm just wondering because after a year of it I thought it would have slowed down by now. I've finally become immune to it just like I did being fat and old.

4. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    Fun thread, I read it almost twice. :beer

What each successive generation of Mini and MINI seems to come down to is acceptance of diversity. If you're a myopic idealist with no tolerance for others opinions that differ from your own, the car you don't own will intrinsically offend your "deeply held religious beliefs" and you'll create a bubble of authenticity around your experiences to reinforce your position without regard for logic, compassion, or perspective.

That sort of foaming-at-the-mouth insanity definitely makes you "right" in your own mind, and a total lunatic to the rest of the community.

When I hear people comment that the R53 is the "most hardcore", they're absolutely correct with regards to specific metrics. Is that all that matters; are we reduced to a rooster comparing contest just like at a muscle-car meet? How about what matters to each as individuals? Some of us need our ears bleeding to feel alive, others want maximum lateral grip, others want the most Powahhhh, and maybe some of us have a modicum of modesty and want a civilized package that also delivers the well-rounded goods. Who's "wins"? If you're that foaming-at-the-mouth lunatic, everyone loses.

:postcount

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I don't like the looks but there things you can do to make them look better. Sure it will be fun to Mod. I don't want to run any new owner off. But put your big boy pants on for crying out loud. My problem is with the direction BMW is going, you would have to be an embaseal not to see it. I am sorry I don't salut every thing BMW/mini does. I am sick of tiptoeing around here because you may offend someone. You can make fun of my R53 its an 02 a rattle trap, have at it. I happen to have a back bone and can take it as much as it is given. And you know what I may even laugh at what you say because it's funny and true. I don't expect anyone here to have the same oppinion as me and thats ok, it's the spice of life.

Even if I don't like the direction the company is going I will still love to see what you do to your F56. We can disagree and still be friends. What a concept!

Lastly did Dave.0 get out of hand at times? YES. But he was one of the most helpful people here. Dave had a harsh edge you just had to give it back and let the rest roll off your back.
    I did not see the post that is being talked about here so I am in no way defending it. But I do know this, the other guy goaded him in to it he is just as much to blame. And by the way where is he now? Showed up in a hand full of threads now gone.

Ok so I am finished. I am sure this will close down this thread. Sorry.

6. Whales

Whales Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 28, 2013
    Male
    Occupational Safety and Health Professional
    Tesuque, NM
    Ratings:
    +276 / 0 / -0
    Or maybe just let him back altogether...

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    There are the existing MINI enthusiasts, there is the non-enthusiast MINI owners and finally there are the new potential buyers with little or no MINI experiences...

The last group may not have any knowledge of what MINI was before the evolution. The MINI was just something they saw on the road or someone they knew might have had. Their major buying decisions are developed from the dealer visit and the test drive... They may not be interested in the performance or handling experience or the *Tweaking* of the changes in the appearance of the MINI. If they like the car and can afford it they will probably become new owners...

BMW /MINI probably looks at the first two groups as somewhat "Loyal" owners, who may or may not move onto the new models... They are more focused on the last group... That's where they are putting most of their hope on future sales growth... And it's probably what is driving the changes that we see.

*Tweaking*: Not what Miley Cyrus does....

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Remember folks take your meds. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. This helps me a lot..... :yesnod:

[​IMG]

9. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    #89 Firebro17, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    That is a great analogy Ryephile! I can't resist adding this... It has very little to do with the evolution of the Mini, rather it pertains more to the evolution of a Mini owner.

I've been a loyal BMW owner since I bought my '71 2002 back in 1975. I completely enjoyed that car for 12 years, have missed it terribly since I sold it, and have owned at least six more Beemers since (again loving every one of them). I became a MINI owner about six years ago and Mini owner a couple years after that. Now, all that said, after having entered the British car arena, I maintained my love for the BMW, owning one until just two months ago when we opted to replace our 5-Series with a new Jaguar XF. Why you ask...? I'm not sure, other than to say I loved what I saw in the lines and amenities the Jag had to offer, while the new 5-Series appeared to be relatively unchanged, thereby rendering it undesirable. The Jag is a great car and we love this new chapter in our car ownership lives.

Now, back to the MINI/Mini side of things. Remember I do have a pretty profound BMW allegiance. Mostly that is, until most recently, as I've struggled to maintain my love for the 2002 because of my current devotion to the competitive nature found in the Vintage Racing world. We very often find ourselves matched with these 2002 guys, who quite often have modified their cars by lightening an already more powerful machine with all the fiberglass parts to be found, all the while punching the motors out to at least 2300cc. Given that there is at least a 1000cc advantage for them, I find it odd that we can still beat a few of them (and they have serious issues with that). Those guys are a funny bunch that don't like racing us much and I'm guessing the sanctioning body we run with on occasion will figure out how to best appease them. I've attached a picture from two years ago that kind'a speaks for itself.

Thanks for the hijack... Now, back to Roger's thread.

Attached Files:

10. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Well, I made the change from R56 to F56 last month. I'm still around, but I do visit other sites more now, just because there's more Fxx content. I've an assortment of bits and pieces that will be installed once I get the car back from the body shop. I still miss my R56... mainly because it took a long time to get it like I wanted, but now I get to do it all over again. That being said, I am thoroughly enjoying driving the F and have gotten over most of my dislike for the looks of the car. But, the one thing I still don't like is the location of the window switches. Why couldn't they leave them in the center stack and not put them in the doors???
    Originally I was supposed to get the car back last Friday. Then it was Monday because they had to order a new front skin. Today they said the rain has held up the paint process, but it'll be ready tomorrow. It was fine with me because I didn't want to drive a freshly painted car 70-80 miles home in the rain anyway. I told them to take all the time they need to get it right. It was new when they got it and I want it to look new when I get it back. We shall see what tomorrow brings.

Things are looking up!

F56.jpg

11. vetsvette

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    A regular two fingered Remington Ranger here! I'm guessing there are some other people on here that know they made typewriters..... or what a typewriter is.:wink:

12. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    #127 cct1, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    I already miss him. It's ironic that while we may all be douchebags, he has singlehandedly raised the bar on douchebaggery an order of magnitude higher, a level many of us will find hard to surpass.

He needs to realize the F56 isn't larger because of the pedestrian laws, it's larger because it shares a platform with the BMW 1 series.

You oughta let Dave in for a quick cameo for entertainment value, then you can quickly ban him again or whatever.

13. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    #132 Firebro17, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    Three cheers to the lot of us douchebags!
    Hip hip hooray, Hip hip hooray, Hip hip hooray!!! :beer

Oh, and that's "Lord Douchebag" there Scooter.

14. vetsvette

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Come on man. You can't be serious! :confused:

It's a known fact that the Hoppes #9 air freshener is the best! :cornut:

Attached Files:

15. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    Ya see, that's why this site sucks. It's neither FUN nor FRIENDLY. Making fun of short people or F56 owners: now that's fun. Making fun of skinny people is over the line. Check your skinny privilege, people.

This is my first post on this forum and it looks like it'll be my last. Apparently you D Bags don't warrant the grace of my presence.

16. bctf1

bctf1 New Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Retired
    Westminster, CO
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Metalman, your poodle post was one thing, the skinny jeans post is something else altogether. OK, I now officially love this forum!

17. JackMac

JackMac Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    PA
    Ratings:
    +256 / 0 / -0
    Drive a nicely optioned JCW manual, with aftermarket suspension, and you may come back with a different opinion. I did.

I was not a fan of the R56 "S" either, until the JCW came along. It's the same thing with the F56.

18. myles2go

myles2go Active Member

May 7, 2012
    collecting a paycheck
    WI
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -1
    It's not a matter of us changing when our R53's are gone. We'll be moving on to something else if MINI doesn't offer an appealing car.

19. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    All of you people, and your debates about "production" MINIs, amuse me.
    "R"this and "F"that. So quaint.

Full custom from the body shell up, or go home. :devil:

20. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]