3rd Gen F56 Cooper S My thoughts on the F56

Discussion in '3rd Generation: 2014+ F54, F55, F56, F57, F60' started by yellowbritishrocket, Sep 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    That is not quite true. I'm not a huge fan of the looks either.

KINDA???? Little more than that. I got so bad there were threats of bodily harm. I'd say more than "kinda".

2. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Bruce, please don't believe everything you read or hear... Folks here are all (well nearly all) good folks with good intentions and mean no one any harm by offering up regularly conflicting opinions.

3. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0

Yeah I know how you feel about the looks, but more than once you've stated you were tired of the it's the car not the driver line...Yes, it's been overused, but it is how I honestly feel about it.

As for the "kinda", that was spin control, just trying to help you out. Besides, the threats of physical violence were greatly exaggerated, most of them, if not all of them, were either physiologically or anatomically impossible.

4. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Well, I made the change from R56 to F56 last month. I'm still around, but I do visit other sites more now, just because there's more Fxx content. I've an assortment of bits and pieces that will be installed once I get the car back from the body shop. I still miss my R56... mainly because it took a long time to get it like I wanted, but now I get to do it all over again. That being said, I am thoroughly enjoying driving the F and have gotten over most of my dislike for the looks of the car. But, the one thing I still don't like is the location of the window switches. Why couldn't they leave them in the center stack and not put them in the doors???
    Originally I was supposed to get the car back last Friday. Then it was Monday because they had to order a new front skin. Today they said the rain has held up the paint process, but it'll be ready tomorrow. It was fine with me because I didn't want to drive a freshly painted car 70-80 miles home in the rain anyway. I told them to take all the time they need to get it right. It was new when they got it and I want it to look new when I get it back. We shall see what tomorrow brings.

Things are looking up!

F56.jpg

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I don't like the looks but there things you can do to make them look better. Sure it will be fun to Mod. I don't want to run any new owner off. But put your big boy pants on for crying out loud. My problem is with the direction BMW is going, you would have to be an embaseal not to see it. I am sorry I don't salut every thing BMW/mini does. I am sick of tiptoeing around here because you may offend someone. You can make fun of my R53 its an 02 a rattle trap, have at it. I happen to have a back bone and can take it as much as it is given. And you know what I may even laugh at what you say because it's funny and true. I don't expect anyone here to have the same oppinion as me and thats ok, it's the spice of life.

Even if I don't like the direction the company is going I will still love to see what you do to your F56. We can disagree and still be friends. What a concept!

Lastly did Dave.0 get out of hand at times? YES. But he was one of the most helpful people here. Dave had a harsh edge you just had to give it back and let the rest roll off your back.
    I did not see the post that is being talked about here so I am in no way defending it. But I do know this, the other guy goaded him in to it he is just as much to blame. And by the way where is he now? Showed up in a hand full of threads now gone.

Ok so I am finished. I am sure this will close down this thread. Sorry.

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    And I can't wate to see what you do with your F56.

You type faster than me!

7. vetsvette

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    A regular two fingered Remington Ranger here! I'm guessing there are some other people on here that know they made typewriters..... or what a typewriter is.:wink:

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Spotted: The all new F56 body kit.....

Yesterday I happened to see the first of the new factory installed F56 body kits. It doesn't look very aerodynamic, but I'll bet it cools darned good. :Thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Sorry I'm off my meds & couldn't help myself. :wink:

9. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    It's not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction.

10. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I'm biting my tongue... Not going to say anything derogatory.... Must resist....

Sorry to see any MINI damaged though....

11. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Actually, I find the price increase misleading. I have built several cars, R-56 and F56, adding in the options that I want. I have found that each year, things that were "options" the year before, become "standard" the following year, which offsets the increase. Each time, the car I built, came in around the same price.

Of course the options I want, may not be the same as what other's might want, which could make the difference.

12. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Dr. Evil: "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark."

So did you invent the semicolon too? :lol:

13. jlbiker

jlbiker New Member

Feb 20, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Back to the first discussion, I would like to give my point of view as a 20 years old guy.

As a business student I completely understand what BMW is doing with this new generation of MINIs. Companies no matter what business they are in, the only interest they have is increase benefits, I guess here we all know that. MINI, the brand, needed to find a new niche and the F56 was the pathway to that.

I'm in love with some models of MINIs, including my R53. I have driven all the generations of the modern MINI and guess what, fist and second are very similar, when it comes to the third is all about comfort and handling. Nowadays the cars are big laptops, you cannot feel the same and this is sad.

Despite my thoughts of the F56 being "different", mainly the front of the car, I think they did a good job with the JCW. Nowadays, I won't have a F56 in my garage, but a R53, R56 and a pure little classic... SURE!

I had a Renault Clio Sport 2002, and talking about feeling the car it is even better than the R53. :Thumbsup:

I hope you can understand my English, have a good evening guys!

Jose

14. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Nope, never been a big fan of semicolons, I find having an entire colon much more fulfilling. But the inside joke of "Motor On", yep that was me....

Bringing up something from over two months ago, you've had plenty of time to think of it. Seriously, with all that time that's the best you could do? Shouldn't have bothered.

15. leuuvi

leuuvi New Member

Oct 28, 2015
    sushi apprentice.
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I think Sir Issigonis would be thrilled with this little thread here. The damn things are getting bigger and bigger and its sickening, makes me wanna puke. The reason I feel in love with MINI's is because i could relate. In my body i can fit anywhere, run fast and corner with not problem, jump fences what have you... I felt like my r56 was the extension of my body, a nice small body with lots of power and handling.

Now i've never driven the 3rd gen cars for the exception of the countryman, but just seeing the changes it makes me think the brand is gonna be lost- An economy car that was efficient and could drive well. Thats the whole reason the first mini was even created for.

16. Blues Trucker

Blues Trucker New Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    #116 Blues Trucker, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    This is my first post, and maybe my last. Heard about this place over on NAM. The word is it was supposed to be a better place. Im kinda doubting it. I go by the same username there. Anyone want to see my F56, pics are over there in the F56 forum and the BRG thread. Im not going to wast time posting them here.
    I read a couple threads, then stumbled across this one. Im going to be using the quote below to make my point with in a moment. I didnt read this entire thread. I read the first couple pages, then read a post here and there.
    Im not going to try and make nice with you guys. You come across as a bunch of [edited, BT}, so I dont really care what you think about my post, or me, or my car.

So to make my point.
    I am a Mustang guy. I grew up in a 65. same year as I was born. My dad bought it new, and still owns it. In 67 Mustangs got bigger, and in '71 they REALLY changed. In 74 they werent even a mustang anymore. In 79 they became something else again, and again in 94. Finally in 05 they became a Mustang again, and now it is an Aston Martin.
    So you really hate the F56 and think they arent a real MINI?
    Well, I love the **** out of mine. I am glad I bought it, and I think the OP is full of ****. The F56 is a great car. And it handles great. Is it a little bigger than the first Gen? Ya, its a couple INCHES bigger. But you know what? ALL cars are bigger than they used to be. Look at the newest mustang compared to the 2005. Look at the new F150 compared to a 77. Look at the new Ford Taurus compared to a 2002. Look at the Porsche 911 compared to a 70s version. Look at ANY current model car(excluding the chevy Impala:wink:) comparing it to a previous model, and its gotten bigger.
    Why?
    Its because of Govt. mandated safety.
    Now lets get back to the MINI. The first gen mini is bigger than the original by a much bigger margin than the 3rd is to the first.
    [​IMG]
    So all you fist gen guys should really get over yourselves.

About me and why I chose to buy a 2016 Mini Cooper S
    I always liked Minis. I thought they were neat. I am an automotive enthusiast. Not just one generation of one brands model. I am an enthusiast of almost all cars, trucks, and motorcycles.
    I have owned a 74 SS Nova, a hotrodded 66 Dodge Coronet, a built 79 Z28, a CJ5 Jeep, a Grand National, a couple Hemi Dodge P/Us/ a couple Diesel P/Us, sportbikes, Japanese cruisers, and a Harley. Just to name a few.
    And now I own a Mini.
    How many of you arrogant first gen guys can say that?
    I might of owned one sooner, but I didnt figure this 6'2" 270lb guy would fit in one. Till a few weeks back that is.
    Our local news channel runs a segment on Sunday morning at 9 where they highlight a car. A couple months ago they highlighted a mini coupe. They showed the car, and the news anchor who was 6'3" got in it................ and fit..................... So I told my wife wed check them out. And we did. And we researched them. And we bought one......................
    AND WE LOVE IT!!!!!
    So much so that we are planning on getting another for her in a few years.
    It runs, drives, rides, handles, GREAT!!!!
    And until I saw the 3 generations together like in the pic above, I couldnt tell the difference. I didnt know there was one.
    Yes, now I do. And there are things about the earlier Generations I like better, Like the tailights, but there are things about mine I like better, like how Mini incorporated a good sized intercooler into the front with barely much change to the front.
    Ya, thats right. I said I like the way the front end looks.
    And the interior, and the SEATS. The most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. I LOVE EM!!!!
    Ya, I wish theyd left the window toggles in the middle, and I wish they would have kept the center speedo. But times change, and NAV and back up cameras are here. And back up cameras may soon be mandated. So I think MINI did a good job of incorporating them. And I like my Nav and Radio so its all good. Im running my iPhone through my stereo. ITS GREAT!!
    Hopefully Ill be going to my first MINI gathering in Scottsdale this weekend.
    Im planning on it, I just dont know now, my wife, who has cancer, has gotten a cold. So I dunno now. But Im hoping. Im also hoping that the guys in the Mini club arent like you guys. But if they are, well Ill just jump in my MINI and drive off and let them wallow in their miserable existence.
    I sure hope thay arent like you guys.
    {edit} I have edited this post. I used some fairly strong language and upon reflection didnt think it was warranted. I apologize to those who saw it.
    I tend to drop a nuke when a .45 will do.

17. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer/DA Civilian
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    :mtrn: Trucker.

18. vetsvette

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Hey now... I resemble that statement!:D
    I didn't care for the F5x when they first came out either. Until I bought one. It's grown' on me. :Thumbsup:

Hope your wife gets better soon BT.

19. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Glad you like your F56 you bought it after all. Not my cup o tea, but life is that way people like different things.

This is a very good MINI site with lots of great helpful people. Coming from the Namless site you should be able to see that. Stick around & make friends. You've made a good start by calling folks Douches???

I hope your wife gets well. All the best & Motor On.

20. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    #120 Firebro17, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    Trucker, you shouldn't judge the entire Motoring Alliance community by this single thread. I know the OP fairly well and he's very knowledgable about the modern MINI and the classic Mini. Nate has established a nicely moderated site here which allows and encourages the sharing of one's opinions, in a most liberal manner. Some are indeed quite firm and even perceived as harsh at times. That said, yours is certainly welcome here as well... But, please don't come here from a site well known by us all here for sustaining negativities towards its own members (and this site in particular) to make remarks intended to stir the pot or start a feud. You my friend may come out holding the shortest of the sticks.

It's very cool that you seem to thoroughly enjoy your new MINI and you've certainly owned some very interesting rides. Welcome to M/A and please do enjoy all there is to behold by participating in the best of all the MINI sites there is.