Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Myne tune...what's your experience?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Msfitoy, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. llabmik2

llabmik2 New Member

May 11, 2012
    Fruita, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    #61 llabmik2, May 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2012
    Who ever said you didn't know how to disassemble ECU code? I know who's names are in the about section of ECUFlash. Anybody that tunes with it, that really cares should know who is in the about section. I think everybody will agree with me that you can disassemble a ECU.

Again no where in your response does it say if these are the dealer maps or the private maps. I'm pretty sure I have the latest version of F/A unless you just released one in the last couple days, and I still don't see any of these maps. I'm glad you have found over 800 maps. Who has access to them? Last time I posted this you said see above or something like that. I reread the whole thing. Still didn't see were it said if these are private or dealer maps. All it said is that you have a update coming out and information about abandoned live tuning. Now access to all those map's and live tuning would make it worth $700 without a doubt.

So can we just get a straight answer Jason? Who has access to those maps?

2. llabmik2

llabmik2 New Member

May 11, 2012
    Fruita, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    #62 llabmik2, May 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2012

Well it was made pretty much obvious here, in these posts from a mod.

3. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Sadly your conclusions are unsupported and you're reading too much into my posts. And now I will ask that you stick to the topic of the thread and remind you of Rule #1: don't be a jerk. I.E. don't hassle other site members. Thank you.

4. jason@MynesTuned

jason@MynesTuned New Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    One question, have you purchase a FA kit, and if you did. What's your serial# on your invoice or on the back of your OBD II Miniport. If you don't have it, well you know where I am going with this....

And if you and others have such a big problem with FA, that's tough! No one is stopping anyone to disassemble their ECU code, figure out the seed key algorithm for reading and flashing, checksum algorithm for editing, find maps, tables, scalars and their X and Y axis along with their scalings, to translate binary to human view data. No one is stopping anyone of doing this, and make their own OpenSource program and share with the MINI community. You can complain about price, map availability as a non customer. Our customers fully understand the approach we are taking with our product. We get so much tech calls to just understanding the 30 maps we have available for the user now since this is new to the MINI community. Our product has been on the market for over a year now and users are getting the hang of it. We will start adding more to the list so users can play with more stuff. I really don't care what you think or others who don't have our product. So what I am saying to anyone who has a problem, well that's your problem and not ours.

So what you and others who don't have our product needs to either develop their own, or mind your own business, because I will not pander your questions. I've posted some pictures in this thread for you and others already, and I don't see the contrast to keep baby sitting you or others questions as non customers.

Have a wonderful day :wink:

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I don't know who you are or why you are on this mission. The behavior you exhibit will not be tolerated here. Motoring Alliance is the Friendly MINI Community. Either get with the program or leave.

6. llabmik2

llabmik2 New Member

May 11, 2012
    Fruita, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    No I don't own a F/A....never have never will. I just have the F/A program to help people with their tunes that is all.

Thanks answering my question about the maps, I thought I was going crazy not seeing them.

Thanks for the answers Jason, hope your day is wonderful as well. :Thumbsup:

7. llabmik2

llabmik2 New Member

May 11, 2012
    Fruita, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    For asking questions that he answered in his last post? I didn't think I was rude or unfriendly in asking questions.

Then I asked for a straight answer and not a go read the above...Don't see the harm in that.

Not like I called him any or anybody else any names, or cussed at them.

8. jason@MynesTuned

Jan 10, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    And now I truly understand what's all the fuss is about. :Thumbsup:

9. jason@MynesTuned

Jan 10, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

But look at what you are saying. You complain about our product for not having "FullAccess" to all the maps <---(which is not the reason it's called FullAccess) and the pricing, but you use it to help others with their tunes :confused5: and hypocritical

Anyways ENJOY :wink:

10. llabmik2

llabmik2 New Member

May 11, 2012
    Fruita, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Yes their are some that can not tune, and want to learn, and are just going a little to far and basically if it wasn't for the knock sensor they would be spending some cash. I look at what they have give them advice, and let them work at it from there on their own.

11. llabmik2

llabmik2 New Member

May 11, 2012
    Fruita, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I just help others with it. They send me the srf file, I look at it, then tell them were they are getting a little to greedy. Then they go from there, have to figure out what to run, liking timing, and or fuel. There are people that want to learn how to tune. I like to see people keep their motors together. Not use the knock sensor as a tuning tool, letting it take care of the timing for you, or using it to see where you are running to much timing. People don't realize you can go past MBT at light loads also...

12. jason@MynesTuned

Jan 10, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Well that's good that you're helping others. I have no problem with that. Do you understand Siemens Torque Based algorithms, since a bunch of it is modeled based and developed in Matlab in terms of Air Mass calculation for the Throttle Monitor? And what are used in it's calculations for fuel, timing, knock, driver demand and throttle? It works totally different from Evo X and Subaru CAN/DBW torque based systems.

Again, good that you're helping others. :Thumbsup:

13. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Huh......?

Are you bashing a program you do or don't have?

14. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Don't you understand he has access to the program but would not buy it.

Having and program, not just F/A, does not make everyone a tuner. Being smart enough to understand what it does and how to use is more important.

The best tools in the wrong hands can mean big trouble.

Jeez

15. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Hello peeps, we all meet again...:postcount

I told myself that I was already a member of way too manny MINI forums, and that I would leve this one alone. Problem is this is the only place that EVERYONE I have ever helped, recived help from, supported, and hated on, can still be in one place.

I have a few different "Names" on the boards, seems like everyone knows me as D!CK though. Its ok, it is my name, and sometimes I live up to it.

I have a problem with where this thread is heading... Down that short dark alley, to a place where everyones good oppinions go to die, and we end up losing more good people. I have given up on the whole pick a side of the tuner war, and everyone's oppinion matters to me(again).

I have experiance with ByteTroniK / Full/Access, in fact I was one of the first few to purchace the tuning kit. I used it to what I thought was safe, and yet I still managed to blow up my own car. Part of that was MY FAULT, part was everyone else who was telling me it was "GOOD"s fault. Either way I am out a load of cash, and have the MINI sitting in my garage to remind me of where I went wrong every day.

The GOOD part that came out of me losing my favorite thing to do, was... It forced me to realise that NOBODY wins when sides are chosen, and made me think that if I wanted to do it right next time, I was going to need to learn to do it myself.

I've found BS in everybody. Guess I just bring it out of some people. Fact of the matter is we are stuck in the middle of a debate, sparked by ONE question, again.

Is F/A worth the $$$? My oppinion when it was released was YES, it was what I had been asking for like quite a few others. I didnt understand what I was asking for, but I wanted END USER TUNING capabilities. I thought 40 maps that I could change to my liking was A LOT! Turns out it really isnt. Yes you can do a BASIC tune with F/A (the personal version), but if you get more advanced there is too much that is left out. Even coming from Jay himself (Even though he said 2 weeks a month ago) that "You should not hold your breath on that." when I asked when the new update, and the other maps are going to be released.

Now form my other point of view, somehow the ViPEC got dragged into this. I believe it's not benefitial to the OP, because there is no comparison between what theese two systems can do. Standalone wins every time, like the pale scrawny kid holding the 45 when he's had enough.

All of the people in this camp, supporting the ViPEC are the ones who told me "ByteTroniK puts too much controll in the hands of the inexperianced." Sure enough I was the first somewhat well known person to be out a motor using the program. Now there are standlones that offer MORE user controll, and everybody is all for it?

We just seem to go round and round... Nobody ever realy WIN's at this game. Let's just keep the finger pointing, name calling and other schoolgirl games, to a minimum, so we dont lose anyone else who just might save your ass one day.:Thumbsup:

16. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I don't have a dog in this fight, and don't plan to buy either or. I'll leave any tunings I need to others BUT, Does the F/A or any of them for that matter tell you what the "safe zones" are. Like A/F ratio, Knock sensor, etc.. So as you get started doing it yourself you atleast heading in the right direction.. Or are you supposed to look at the maps that come with it and figure it out by yourself.. One tore up engine at a time..
    Some tuners are willing to help with that and some aren't, surely if your selling the part you should be willing to help with that.. Which in turn is cutting your own throat, but you may get their engine rebuild and tune out of it later!!!

There are Tuning Schools out there..
    I know these are broad questions and each engine make is probably different as to the ratios it will handle, turbo, SC, NA etc etc...

17. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    #77 BlwnAway, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012
    I don't know whats going to be available for the ViPEC, but with the F/A itself your not given this info. but you can easily access it through the Mynes Forums, but only as general information, nothing specific, but in reality thats a good thing in a way, because every car is different and what works for one may not for another, thats what the Datalogging is for.

That being said there are Warnings all over the begining of the F/A info. thread that it is "just a tool and will not make you a tuner".

There again that is one of the problems with threads going all over the place, everything, including the basics, get muddied.

The F/A is just a tool and like any other tool, just because you can buy it, doesn't exclude you from learning how & to what extent you should use it. And like other tools, some are better or worse than others, it all depends on the individual user and what they want to get out of it, as to whether it's worth it or not.

18. tirlibibi

tirlibibi New Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I personnaly think FA53 should have more options in customer version, like show on this thread for the Cat Disable, it is not risky.

But, there is something really GREAT in FA53 that can't be found anywhere for the R53, it's the DataLogger, it is awesome !!

For the tuning software itself and maps, like jay said, there is enough.
    3 maps are enough to tune on the R53 (Fuel, Advance, Torque Request) to have almost the full power.

19. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0

:rolleyes:

20. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I just wanted to quote this, there's too much good info for it to sink in all at once. So this way, people can read it again!