Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Mynes tuned....is yours? Mine's broke!

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Camaro, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Camaro

Camaro New Member

May 5, 2009
    Industrial designer
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    So here is my situation with my car, the timeline of events as they occured. I hope everyone reads this word for word because it is the factual truth of how my car went from blown to built to blown in 10,000 miles.

January 2010 - Mynes Tuning tuned car

March 2010 - Stock motor with bolt-ons, melted a hole through piston #1 in 5,000 miles since tuning.

April-May 2010 - Talks begin with Mike Wong and Jayson Bowman of Mynes Tuning, Hubie Fuh of ABF Performance, ABF Motoring, MEGAmini USA. I was told “If I shipped the car to them I would have full support of ABF and Mynes throughout and after the project.â€

May 2010 - Decision was made after considering all options at the time car was shipped via Magic Carpet Automotive Transport to Lake Forest, CA for work to be done by ABF and Mynes.

June 2010 - Flew out to Lake Forest, CA to pick up the car. I arrived to their shop where they were doing fluid checks before putting it on the dyno for break-in and tuning. I asked Jayson if they pumped out the old fuel out of the tank. He said “No, it will be fine†I said “Alright.â€. Jayson spends the next 2 hours tuning after Hubie broke the motor in. During the tuning process I asked Jayson “Why are my numbers so low?†Jayson said “Don’t worry about the numbers, Just drive it and then you will know.†After that I drove home back to Kansas.

August 2010 - Car was acting up while in Colorado. Jayson dismissed it as the ECU having a mind of its own sometimes. First time I felt pushed aside no effort on his part was made to find out what was going on.

September 2010 -. Intially I had no clue what was going on with the car. It was erroding away cylinder #1’s spark plug grounding strap. After several attempts I got a hold of Hubie to ask him what was going on. Second time I felt pushed aside with no solution. I ended up having to troubleshoot myself and fixed it. Found out my ignition coil was dead and wasn’t replaced at rebuild

September 2010 - February 2011 - Only drove the car on the weekends (Friday Evening and Saturday) or if weather allowed (highways clear, not icy,)

March 2011 - Pre-North Carolina road trip maintenance and check-up.
    First compression test
    #1 - 150psi
    #2 - 150psi
    #3 - 110psi
    #4 - 150psi
    Another case of several attempts and finally got ahold of Hubie to ask him about my results. He dismissed the down in compression on #3 was ring alignment. I was hesitant but went with his explaination.

April 25-May 2 - North Carolina roadtrip did a compression test once in North Carolina.
    Second compression test
    #1 - 145psi
    #2 - 143psi
    #3 - 110psi
    #4 - 150psi
    The day after returning home I ran into my house over lunch to get something before heading back to work. I come outside to find my car idling on 3 cylinders. After work I did a compression test and found.
    Third Compression test
    #1 - 150psi
    #2 - 150psi
    #3 - 100psi
    #4 - 125psi

Chat session with Mike Wong 7/9/11
    [22:56] Michael Wong: did you get a hold of Hubie to figure out what's wrong with your car? or what might have caused it?
    [22:59] Alex Comeau: The last compression test I didn't get an answer back on where we go from there.
    [23:02] Alex Comeau: The results of that compression test were 150,150,100,125
    [23:03] Michael Wong: o, that's not good..
    [23:06] Alex Comeau: Remember when I talked to you about a misfire
    [23:07] Alex Comeau: It sure wasn't electrical

July - August 12, 2011 - I have come up against a few hassles which have really wore me out. I will no longer be seeking anything from Hubie. I haven’t contacted Hubie since the first half of August. I myself haven’t been contacted either.

September to Present - The investigation started. I pulled the motor, started pulling it apart. I discovered I didn’t have my original block as it didn't have a sleeve in cylinder #1 as a repair to the wall damage from when it it blew back in March. I also found that I was missing all the oil squirters which I found them in the oil pan. I pulled the piston/rods, found high amounts of carbon build up, blow-by, incorrect piston to bore size, incorrect ring gaps, glazing. With what I found about the pistons really explains the 1qt per 1,000 miles when running 15w50 (Spring/Summer) and 1qt every 600-700 miles on 10w40 (Fall/Winter).

To conclude I put a lot into my car I feel sorry for those who have bought or done business with Mynes Performance/Myne’s Tuning/Bytetronik or ABF Performance. If you have been tuned by Mynes or through bytetronik you better save up for a new motor because your going to be needing one.

I encourage anyone who has had issues of any degree when dealing with Mynes or ABF Performance to come forward. All this keeping quiet is for the birds anymore. Something needs to be done. No one should be silent any longer.

STAND UP AND SPEAK

2. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Ouch !! The only dealings I have with them at this point is a V2 header and happy to say no problems at this point and actually a really nice pc of equipment.

3. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    #3 jiminni, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
    You ever do any data logging on it? Been almost a year for me with the ByteTroniK with no problems whatsoever :cornut:

Oh and this could be said about other vendors also:

"I encourage anyone who has had issues of any degree when dealing with ....... or ...........to come forward. All this keeping quiet is for the birds anymore. Something needs to be done. No one should be silent any longer. "

Maybe it was "bad gas"......:lol:

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I had the Mynes V1 header and I don't anymore. :mad2::incazzato: :mad2:

Lets just say there is a reason they have a Version 2 now. :eek6::frown2:

I hear with version 3 you get a free order if fried rings. :biggrin5:

5. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    What happened to your V1?

6. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    honestly not what the thread is about, take it to Pm's Jim. Bummed i missed you at Sema though.

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Reading your note.....

Any feel on how much of the problem can be attributed to the Bytetronik tune versus the shoddy engine rebuild?

I wonder if, had the engine rebuild been correct, would the end results have been different? I would certainly think the bytetronik tune needs to operate with a good engine. Unless of course the bytetronik tune is just pushing the boundaries too far.

8. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    #8 minimark, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
    So the original motor suffered a burnt piston 5000 miles after a Mynes tune and that burnt piston is what necessitated the engine rebuild in the first place? This was an OEM motor to begin with?

9. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Did the OP not say this?, "I encourage anyone who has had issues of any degree when dealing with Mynes or ABF Performance to come forward". I assumed it was also good issues.

10. Camaro

Camaro New Member

May 5, 2009
    Industrial designer
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Your correct Mark the first motor was OEM with Bolt-ons.

Stock motor with bolts - melted piston

Mildly built motor - skeptical rebuild and really bad tuning

11. Camaro

Camaro New Member

May 5, 2009
    Industrial designer
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Piston #3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
  13. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Yeouch! That looks like a pancake that has been on the griddle way too long!

14. Camaro

Camaro New Member

May 5, 2009
    Industrial designer
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    So for those who think this had nothing to do with the tune? They have a track record for this. Here is a pic of my #1 piston when the pistons were OEM and after 5,000 miles on Mynes Tune.
    [​IMG]

15. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Wow, this is Nasty!

This engine needs a 'real' expert with a proven track record, not just somebody who 'plays' one on the internet !!!

16. Camaro

Camaro New Member

May 5, 2009
    Industrial designer
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Here are pics of the oil squirters that got broke off. Not sure which one was in which cylinder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    How much did you spend on all this?

18. Camaro

Camaro New Member

May 5, 2009
    Industrial designer
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Grand total including clutch, fly and LSD 14k

19. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Just curious

What was the odometer reading when the engine was built/ first fired in your MINI and the day you pulled it down?

20. Camaro

Camaro New Member

May 5, 2009
    Industrial designer
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    First tune - 85k miles
    When it blew - 90k miles
    Then second time - 100k miles