Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Mynes tuned....is yours? Mine's broke!

1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Keeping the thread open with controls is much better than letting it self destruct and shut down. However, it does require much babysitting and vigilance by the moderators in order to keep the sand in the sandbox. :Thumbsup:

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Someone reported a post in this thread asking how minimark knows that there are no RMW parts on Alex's car.

It's pretty simple, reading comprehension...

Alex did not mention there were any RMW parts or that he worked with RMW at all in his first post that laid all this out.

What we have a few people that want to drag others into this issue and they bring up things from the past that really have NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS THREAD.

I see what some people are doing and thats trying to muddy the waters here to the point where the thread is useless. That will not happen. Keep in mind the 1st guideline to posting on M/A : Don't be a Jerk

Who has the ultimate say in the defining if you are being one...

ME

Keep that in mind.

Have a nice day :)

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The modi operandi of some in this thread is to change the topic, obfuscate with drawn out posts that add nothing and in general try to get these types of threads shut down. Personally, I am tired of those tactics and think that there is value in these types of threads. To that end I've trying new practices to keep the info flowing in a good manner.

4. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    :popcorn:

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Starting with the very first engine I had done back with an '84 GTI way back in '85 I've always had detailed invoices for every little thing down to the nuts, bolts and even assembly lube.

In this day an age when creating an invoice on a PC with any of the myriad of invoicing software packages out there there is no excuse to not present a full and proper detailed invoice listing all the parts and labor.

I guess when you threaten to sue people as much as you do you know the ins and outs of the legal system.

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    From the looks of this engine most of the failed parts can be found in the oil pan. :wink:

7. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Thank You!!! Have a nice day.....

8. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Well said!

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Tunes or tones, it can be so cornfusing. :crazy:

It is at times like this I'm very pleased with my bolt on craptastic JCW wanna be mods. I wanted more, but since my MINI is my daily driver that must be able to always be on the road I chose what I though was the safest way to add a bit of go. I know there are many folks happy with tunes they have gotten from various vendors. The OP was very unlucky & it is a heads up for all us folks.

So far at 101,000 miles my MINI has no bangs & no melts just miles of smiles. :D

Just my .02, not affiliated with any tuner's or fans of tuner's....

:popcorn:

10. jason@MynesTuned

jason@MynesTuned New Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The Comeau Files

The Comeau Files

Hello everyone,

I am sure some of you are thinking, where are the mynes guys and why they are not here defending against members who are not even customers or would ever be in the first place right? Well the answer is that we are busy and have a business to run. First thing first, I would like to address this huge lie of an issue coming from Mr. Alex Comeau (checkmate2006) from Kansas with all this propaganda from the far extreme with help from RMW to help with this extreme bashing and slander. Let's start with the history and how Mr.Comeau got in contact with us. My memory comes to me that he found us through a mutual friend/customer from Arizona. I think at the time, we have already relocated to California at the Lake Forest location, correct me if I am wrong. He wanted a tune and complained how much he dislikes RMW and he couldn't tune his mini correctly etc etc... I hear this all the time, and it goes through one of my ears and out the other. The car comes to the shop in Lake Forest, CA along with our mutual friend/customer. We strap it down on the dyno. Do some base pulls... (Now I've heard from the grapevine what I am about to say... Mr.Comeau 100% denies now and short term memory like most Americans do.) While doing the base pulls before any tuning his engine had some blow by and it did in fact smoke up the shop while on the dyno. Even the mutual friend/customer was there and can contest to this as Mr.Comeau denies. I told Mike, I don't think we should tune this car, because if this engine is burning oil in whatever cylinder it is...this can cause premature detonation under extreme operating conditions. Mike and I decided to let him know as he was standing right there the whole time seeing and smelling all this blue/white smoke and while on the dyno and revving out it sounded like it was going to blow.I laughed and said "Alex, this engine is going to blow" His response...."He knows the engine is on it's way out and I've already spoken to Hubie about a engine rebuild... So if it goes, I want a built engine" Now this is the kicker... before I started to tune his ECU, of course a tuner would read out the ROM first for backup. Guess what, we ran into some communication problems. I had to retry and retry and finally, the ECU allowed the read. Once I read out the ROM. Our software...make sure you listen here forum members...there was no Bytetronik of FA53 out at this time. The kicker...Alex Comeau never had Bytetronik software in his ECU, because at the time in that year... it didn't exist. We used EcuFlash,EVC, and Byteshooter. The Ecuflash version is what we used to read out his ECU and to save the file for backup. Once we did that...as we were still under development... I noticed that our Ecuflash version for mini did not have his software version settings file or xml. And plus he was running an old version of the Siemens VDO EMS5150 software. We have an Autologic, and I inquired that to do a software update. Then when trying to initialize the update, we came into another communication problem as the Autologic checks and queries the IKE (Instrument Cluster) ECU to get coding data, mileage and the gateway to the EWS (Immobilizer).We could not communicate with his vehicle and had to abort this update due to some wiring issues in his car. May I add, he wired up a AIM Dash display himself... maybe he cut some incorrect wires or something. Now this puts a monkey wrench in getting a update to the newest software version so I can use the Ecuflash version of our own software. The newer version of the software, we have the setting file/xml for mapping with our own software, but not for his older version just yet. So I had to open up another program, and I am sure some of you have heard of EVC WinOLS. With this piece of software we use the ROM emulator as we were doing development work in finding maps and testing whilst the engine is running. Within EVC WinOLS you can import a csv file into which have map address and scalings. So when you open a ROM into it and run this file, it would read your file and find all the maps within your file. In this set up I have his older version file list within EVC WinOLS but I haven't yet implemented into our software yet. No big deal, so I mapped his engine with EVC WinOLS and used Byteshooter to flash the tune file into his ECU. So his first tune, was not and never on Bytetronik...let's move on.

Engine tuned, he drives it and loves it. And I reminded him, about his motor not healthy with all that oil burning.Guess what forum members, motor went....That's exactly what happened. Did he post anything negative towards us for tuning his car and made it blow up from a bad tune at that time....The answer is no! He was full aware of it. Now...he takes his own engine apart because I think he wants to learn as much as possible about his mini. It's nothing wrong with that at all. But when you do that, make sure you can put it all back together. Well long story short, he ships the car to ABF in Lake Forest,CA in pieces for Hubie to do a complete rebuild with forged pistons. Now that is the end of the first tune that he claims was a bad tune and melted a piston.

Second motor Ordeal

Hubie finishes motor, break it in. Calls me to come tune it. At this time, I am tuning with our Ecuflash version software now. Still Bytetronik FA53 is not out yet, because this is still 2010 and FA was released in Jan 2011, he never had FA. So any ways, tune the car. Tune is good,as he stands right there watching us tune it along with Chase and Colin...yes RMW Colin! he drives car and happy. Drives home, follow up, still happy. Drives all over the country even to MTTS, the Dragon etc. He's having issues with blow by and misfiring problems. Mike tries to help him trouble shoot as he posted. Checks compression, and it's low. But still drives it and race people including Chase and Colin and bragged about beating them both. See him at the Dragon and he told me he is having some issue with misfiring on cyl 3 and low compression. I made a joke and said..."Geez you messed that engine up already?" Anyways I told him I would look at it for him while I was there as I was helping out at the Sprintex booth. But...get this... He's hanging with Mr. RMW and Colin at the Dragon and was pretty much around that booth the whole 3 days I was there. I noted to my brother... I'll give this guy 1 month to come up with some crap hanging out those guys. Guess what... This thread!!! lol

He contacts Mike, and ask him for a full refund of the tunes and put his ECU back to stock. Mike agreed to putting his ECU back to stock, but not on a full refund. Mike asked him, "Do you think we rent out tunes?" I guess he didn't like that answer.. So here we go again... This Thread! lol

Now any person can look at the pictures of his built engine and can see, there is no melted piston and no signs of detonation from a bad tune.Hubie has offered him new piston rings and I guess he declined that offer. Oh wait, let me copy and paste this from our forum. I have a little write up over there about my meeting with Hubie today 11/23/2011 and this is what I wrote:

Just talked with Hubie 5 minutes ago in person as he just dropped by, and he told me he did talk with Alex after his serial posting over all the forums. And found out he was measuring the pistons clearance above the wrist pin (idiot) and also Alex said that the rings gaps were too big. So Hubie asked him what was the clearance and does he has a feeler gauge to measure them. Alex replied, he doesn't have a feeler gauge. So Hubie asked him how does he know that the ring gaps are too big. Alex replied that he assumed since the piston clearance was too big. But Alex doesn't know that you have to measure the piston clearance from the skirts of the pistons, which are below the wrist pin. So Hubie asked him why is posting stuff like this and you are not even using the correct tools to measure these parts. Hubie also offered to send him replacement piston rings once he gets the correct piston clearances and cylinder clearances. But Alex does not have the tools to do this. So Hubie ask him why doesn't send the block and parts to a machine shop to check everything. Alex replies "I don't know" this kid has no idea what he is doing, and who is advising him doesn't even know as well.

Now for the tune... Hubie told me that Alex doesn't really know if the tune was bad or not. So Hubie asked him why is he posting stuff up about the engine or tune. And Alex replies that he was upset and plus he thinks the tune was bad because it melted a piston before and it must be a bad tune. But Alex must have short-term memory because I told him that his motor was on his way out because it was smoking a lot on the dyno just getting base pulls. But it was my mistake even giving him a tune in the first place with the engine smoking and me knowing when a cylinder is consuming oil would cause premature detonation under extreme engine operation. But he insisted and was going to be buying an engine rebuild from Hubie once his engine goes. And that was exactly what he did, until now he changes his story to make us look like the bad guys of giving him a bad tune.

I told Hubie this today, he wants a stroker engine from RMW, and I guess he gets a discount coupon to slander the both of us. To you Alex,
    I wish you luck on your new engine and tune. And hopefully when something goes wrong, you don't keep dragging on your engine and racing
    people knowing something is wrong. I am pretty much done with this, and everyone here can continue to bash and slander, I have work to do and orders to fill. Let's move on to the next subject.......below

Now this is the most funniest thing ever heard. I hear that RMW tells people we blew tons of EVOs. Ok...where? Where are these EVOs we have
    blown up. This is the same story that Rick at Boostec told us what Jan said about us when he first got involved with the whole Sprintex superchargers. He told Rick, that we moved from Arizona to California to get away from all the EVOs we have blown up. I was laughing my butt
    off, I am like, where???? Does he have a name of this fictitous person, the color and year of this evo or evos, the last 7 digits of the VIN number or something??? I said to myself, typical Jan...lol

Now this is another funny one... He says that FA changes your tune while you drive. Ok....lol let me get this straight... The ECU has 64k of calibration ROM memory area. While the ECU's CPU is reading that area to run the car. It erases your flash and write some bogus values in it's place.... But the engine still runs even though the memory was erased??? He is so smart, because first, that is impossible to erase something that the CPU is reading in ROM and write back with out interruption. Second, the flashing code would not allow this, Third, the 64K sector in memory has to be completely erased and rewritten even if you are only changing 1 byte. That just shows you that this guy is out of touch and would do anything or say anything to make someone look bad. But only making himself look really dumb in the process.

Now let's get to the FullAccess and it's meaning... Because you guys have came up with some stuff was pretty funny...I'm telling you...lol

ByteTronik FullAccess FA53 - The meaning of FullAccess does not mean you have full control of your stock ECU. It means that you have full
    access to 35 maps on the end user version and close to 250 maps on the dealer version. Full access means you have access to your ecu 24/7
    365 days a year. Full Access means you can tune or get your ecu tuned when ever you like and you don't have to wait for anyone. Full Access means you can eating dinner, and tuning your mini can cross your mind... and you can jump up off the table, grab your laptop and Miniport and flash your car at your convenience.

Carry on guys, Happy Thanksgiving!

Jay

11. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I say we take all this drama to the Judge Judy. :idea:

Jan had nothing to do with this motor issue and all you Mynes fanboi's pulled him into it.

Its ok to defend your tuner but any tuner worth a gain of salt would not have tuned a dying motor on it way out. (White and Blue smoke) Unless they needed the cash and knew they would be getting to rebuild a while new motor very soon.

It is the tuners reputation on the line for whatever they do to a car and in this case Jason / Mynes should have turned away the business until the car was completely error and problem free before they tuned it the very first time.

The second motor should have had no problems if it was built, broken in and tuned correctly BEFORE it was returned to the customer.

12. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Alex I hope you are in the fine Republic of California, home of the lawsuit, seeking legal counsel and legal action against Mynes. I would at least call the BBB and file a report. Maybe when you are done you can change the name from Mynes to Yours.

Of course you may have to get in-line with all the Sprintex buyers that have blown up :ihih: but thats a whole different topic and thread. :wink:

13. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #139 Dave.0, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
    Lynn, your 3rd party vendor input with examples from a totally different vendor have no baring at all on this possible case. They bring no real valuable information what-so-ever. Thanks for trying to confuse the issue yet again.

Also 14 K has all to do with what was received as it may be a determining factor if this would be higher than a small claims court case.

If this does become a Lawsuit / court case (which it should be) maybe then Mynes and Co. may ask for your "Expert" opinion.

14. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Please, make this stop. Please!!!! Stop reporting posts. All two of you. Find what ever it is deep inside you that would make you stop and just stop!!!

15. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    #142 Rixter, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
    I'm happy with my JCW tune. It ain't gonna win me any races, but it gets me to/from the hockey rink just a little bit quicker.

16. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Alex Thanks for posting answers to my questions. It is very informative to see what really happened from the customers point of view.

I still think you should file a legal claim. You at the very least deserve 1/2 your money back.

Let this be a hard lesson to everyone else so they do NOT take the trip down the wrong Path to Power.

17. Msfitoy

Msfitoy Member

May 16, 2009
    Male
    Automotive/Industrial Designer
    NC
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I unsubscribe to old threads that I don't want to hear about...just sayn...

18. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Ouch !! The only dealings I have with them at this point is a V2 header and happy to say no problems at this point and actually a really nice pc of equipment.

19. MINI Fireman

MINI Fireman New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Why would he need to? If he sent them the motor to build, break in & tune knowing its intended use, shouldn't he expect more from it than he got? At a bare minimum shouldn't they have offered more remote support than he's seemed to receive as well? I'd bet that even such a staunch Mynes/ABF supporter as you might feel at least mildly displeased after dropping $14k.

20. MINI Fireman

MINI Fireman New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Well there's the rub, isn't it? This thread isn't about those other tuners having problems in this case. IMO, your gut feeling betrays your bias for the builders & tuners in question here.