Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Mynes tuned....is yours? Mine's broke!

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Camaro, Nov 21, 2011.

1. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0

Doesn't look like it would have gotten a "cutting edge" tune with those mods.

It shouldn't have stressed the engine any more than the oem tune would have, in fact I would say that it should have been a safer tune as it should have optimized the tune for the mods on the car.

2. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    N2MINI It may be that you may not have much experience with shops that rebuild engines but it is not an uncommon practice to use stocked engine or block cores for customer rebuilds as I posted. There is no sinister plan with this from anyone. Unless you contract with the shop to "use my short-block only".
    I could elaborate on this point alone but it may really be counter productive and distracting from this thread? Call a few random shops and check out what they do as policy and compare to what I posted. I stocked dozens of common blocks hot tanked, thread chased, bore mic'd and cleaned ready for customer orders when I owned a Performance Engine Shop.

Points: An engine block will have the general condition and bores checked prior to a build and minimum block prepping. More if needed because of damage or for specific builds. Because it is a nothing special MINI the block numbers for matching with VIN is irrelevant with this model MINI. A crank kit or turning the crank for the new bearings is procedure. The stock MINI crank is simply a core which needs to be re-worked so again it does not matter about origin in this case having to do with a MINI.

Camaro, I still would like to see the requested pictures and millage time line?

3. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    What were your numbers on the dyno from the first tune, the one that burnt the first piston? And then what were the dyno numbers after they rebuilt your motor to their specs and then tuned it again, leading to the mess you have pictured?

Like to see those side by side.

4. Mrsideways

Mrsideways New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -1
    Dave, V70 Automatic or Manual? If Auto 4spd or 5spd auto? We've had a RUN of the 5spd auto's failing on those. Change your tranny fluid and check the radiator regularly as the tranny cooler will leak inside the radiator and mix the two fluids thus wiping out the tranny. 150-200k miles seems to be the mark we see it happen. Just an FYI.
    Sorry for the off topic.

5. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Mark First I like to say IMO it is silly (to say the least) for you to re-post a full quote with your response.

Second *the chassis dyno request would tell you absolutely nothing except the related performance output of the engine for the particular day only.

Now if that is all you want to see and compare then I can understand the post request.
    Otherwise it seems a bit out of place at this point IMO?

The related engine logged information during the Dyno runs or ECU Data that would be of better use here?

Would you please if you know of any chassis manufacture that would claim other then what I just *expressed? Let me know here on this thread so I can contact them and get schooled. I do not want to post dis-information ,speculation or simply be in error of my facts.

6. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    You must understand that I would not take your advice if it were only on baking biscuits, much, much less on anything mechanical. If you must post please do so, but there is no need to respond or comment on anything that was not posted to you from me...

The question was to the gentleman that originally posted with his problems.:Thumbsup:

7. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    4spd auto. Thanks for the tip, I'll change the transmission oil and flush the cooling system.

Dave

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Just a friendly reminder to keep it civil as M/A is the friendly MINI community.

Disagreement is great, name calling, hair pulling and general mayhem not so much.

Not that we have slipped there, just a proactive reminder to be sure we don't.

9. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Lynn I think its not the problem of swapping the block it was the problem of being told it was sleeved and being charged for it only to find out that was not the case

10. Camaro

Camaro New Member

May 5, 2009
    Industrial designer
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I have the dyno sheet on my work computer at any rate I made 191whp/178 wtq.

11. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0

Exactly and understandable if that is what happened.

12. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    So after several thousand dollars and shipping your car half way across the country, they sent you home with 208, a 17hp gain and you even got a big valve head too... Just seems to me that 208 from all they had done would have merited some concern from them that something might be amiss, not just a pat on your back and fond farewell.....:crazy:

I'm sure your expectations were much higher than that? :(

13. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Are we really going to get into the Technical aspects of Chassis Dyno Tuning and the varied results from day to day if not hour to hour?

Also a 3rd party conclusion based on limited information and facts at this point?

Can we say "witch Hunt" :wink:

14. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    I was going to stay out of this thread but since you continue to post about stuff that is NOT in the Mini community I had to chime in. First off, call around to Mini vendors. How many have blocks sitting around ALREADY , Hot tanked, Bored, Honed and ready for assembly? I know of one..........figure out who that is.......

It's been well documented on multiple forums that using the same dyno with the proper fans etc that your hp numbers will be within a few hp from day to day. If you actually had thousands of hrs of dyno time like I do you would know this to be true and factual. In fact we have never even seen a dyno from your car.

Yes, using the SAME dyno before and after will give you a VERY good indication of exactly what your modding progress is doing. We always dyno the car for the customer so they can see exactly what the got for money spent.

15. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

HAHAHAHAHA Lynn you bringing up the phrase "witch hunt" kind of funny IMO.

How long have you been on your Witch Hunt? :confused:

Oh and as for your opinion, here is a News Flash "most people dont care."

16. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Nitro, please I know it's getting late but!!!!

Surely you can attest that any MINI with a BIG valve head and the corresponding mods to go with it would warrant more HP then he received!!!! on any dyno, on any coast, at any altitude... with a half a$$ tune.. ( which apparently is all he got )

Since you are backing the Mynes guys up on this what are they saying about the situation!!!! we'd all like to hear it...

17. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    5% gain for a built brand new 0 mile motor and a big valve head cam and header. Seems wrong anyway you cut it. Alex put some pictures up of the cam...

18. Camaro

Camaro New Member

May 5, 2009
    Industrial designer
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Sure can here are the worst of 4 lobes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Which Cam?

20. 00zero

00zero New Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Engineer
    Pittsburgh. Pa
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    That looks like spalling due to grinder burn to me.

-Jonathan