Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Mynes tuned....is yours? Mine's broke!

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Camaro, Nov 21, 2011.

1. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    I just think you mis understand what I am trying to say here.
    Looks like chili pa covered it.

2. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    #102 jiminni, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
    "Also on Thanksgiving he is going to bust on Americans?"

I don't think Jay was ragging on Americans...he is American. Unfortunately most Americans do have a, "it's all about me" and "I want it now!" attitude. Hopefully on a day like today, Thanksgiving, we can all give thanks to what we as Americans do have, and what it has cost us, American lives and our reputation to other countries that don't like us :cool:

3. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Unbelievable.

4. ColinGreene

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Lets just try to stay on topic here. I think Alex has proof that the Aim dash was professionally installed after the first toon so that kinda shoots holes in that argument.

5. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    I agree Colin, lets stay on topic. I can't find Jan/RMW mentioned anywhere in this post or any evidence that he ever had anything to do with the above mentioned car.

So let's get back to finding out how Alex's motor got torn up twice by the same folks.

6. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    I have backed no one in this (yet). Some that think this should please re-read my posts here on this thread.

I do find it highly amusing reading posts responses qualifying my Automotive mechanic abilities.....again...? LOL
    I doubt there is a technical post by me anywhere inaccurate of its content? Even with the many alias I have on different forums. LOL
    And working many MINI"s over the years since 2002 not ONE person has ever had ANY problems with any work performed by me ever.

Personally I will say that I have used and helped a few with Bytetronik's and have had NO problems with it what-so ever. But then working with an accomplished ECU/EFI Calibrator (G Banish) and not information drawn from untrained individuals I have learned what not to do with regards to a calibration within my current un-trained limits. In part it is why I no longer support any aspect of ECU/EFI Calibration unless the individuals have either combined Electrical and or Computer Engineering training along with some practical automotive mechanical training or actual ECU/ECI Calibration training and Certification.
    This is all on this I will talk about because the defensive responses will be endless. :)

As far as this thread goes :
    I do find amazingly strange that the request for the specific additional pictures and mileage timeline gets ignored while the cam request pictures got posted so fast?
    They are "great" pictures and tell a littler more to the story. :wink:

There is as some have said two sides to every story and then there is the evidence of the engine and the parts. Sharing more pictures answering specific questions about how the engine was running with some form of empirical data or documented monitor observed conditions and less speculation will tell more of what went wrong with that "beast".

I have a great thread I started here on MA which talks about things to do and watch for before doing engine mods and increasing power levels.

MINI Parts upgrades THINK
    http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/mini-stuff/3901-mini-parts-upgrades-think.html

7. ColinGreene

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Nitro, i don't think the problem was the Bytronic so much as the guy with the keyboard, I'm not really concerned about your auto credentials. Its just not something thats important here. Its honestly a whole different thread.
    Don't know what to tell you about the pictures other than people could be concerned that you may not have the best intentions.
    Just so everyone knows and were clear, Alex and I are friends regardless of tuner smack. Thats why i know more about whats happened but really it is his thread and ill let him run it as such.

8. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0

I really appreciate your polite responses to me directly. I pm'd Alex at first to ask a few questions privately and was responded with apparently him wanting to have my thoughts and questions posted rather then hiding out from the FEDS? lol They know where I am they get my payment monthly...lol
    Personally Camaro Alex on other forums is a "kool" guy and on this thread I understand and can sympathize with his frustrations.

I realize it is not the product and ultimately the button pusher on ECU calibrations.
    We all have friends and vendors and support them I still think it is only fair that although my support is known that my questions and information request be viewed more openly as trying solve the cause(s) of the engines demise and not figure pointing because everyone might benefit in the end by avoiding some steps that caused the problem?

Mark as in (minimark) seems you like to re post Camaro's original post in everyone face so much and reading the cyl psi over and over again it now has me thinking about yet more picture to examine. LOL thanks!

I would like to see in addition to the first pictures requested, cylinder, head surface, block deck, and head gasket both sides.

Now naturally I would love to have a sampling of the engine oil but I do realize limitation on a car forum. LOL But Alex (Camaro) might consider to brave that option of having it annualized and posting the results?

9. ColinGreene

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Oil analysis could be really telling. I think the head has been sold though.

10. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #110 Nitrominis, Nov 24, 2011
    Exactly.

While a littler premature on my part and having only a "little" knowledge of camshafts (lol) the pictures posted shows a lubrication question and/or HLA damage? Something an examination of the head and other valve-train components parts might revile? So I hope whom ever the new recipient of the head is has it completely checked out?
    This kind of camshaft lobe damage could cause a cyd(s) misfire and/or misfire code and the engine still running apparently fine?

And one would also have to think about the material that came off the camshaft billet and what damage may have been caused?

11. ColinGreene

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Looks cast to me.

12. Camaro

Camaro New Member

May 5, 2009
    Industrial designer
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    #112 Camaro, Nov 24, 2011
    Let me clear several things up. I was one of the biggest supporters/fanboy's for Mynes. I referred so many people to them and in turn my loyalty had blurred the truth of what happened as they suckered me into continual support through that loyalty.

Jayson you have a poor short and long term memory in comparison to mine. I never once heard you say that my car was about to go. I told you that I have plans to go turbo-only. My car didn't fill the shop with blue and white smoke maybe raw uncatalyzed exhaust because I was running a megan header catless but not blue/white smoke. Also when I came out there for the first tune I didn't have the AIMsport MXL Strada yet I in fact drove cross country using my ScanGuageII as a speedo and tach which was interesting. I had told you that I was thinking about getting a AIMsport MXL Strada to replace my speedo/tach combo (I have the chrono pack) and your reply to getting the AIMsport MXL Strada was a baller. Here is the hard irrefutable proof that I got it after the tune and just 3 weeks before the motor melting a piston.

[​IMG]

The installation of the AIMsport MXL Strada takes 4 wires CAN+/CAN-/Power/Ground. I had a professional make the connections.

When you tuned it the first time I had asked you why did my interior ambient lighting and instrumentation lighting wasn't working but the gauges in the chrono pack still worked after not having the speedo/tach over the steering wheel. That communication issue you are talking about was when you were retuning the car. You told me it was the immobilizer and how it was probably how the motor went that wrote a line in the so called revolving code of the immobilizer.

The always racing people....LIE. After getting the car back from the rebuild. I was shown around on one of the many awesome canyon roads by Colin. The racing part is where you are soooo wrong. If you can recall my car has at the most 4 inches of ground clearance in the front. California has some gnarly roads FACT. When you drive a car as low as mine and at the same time just getting it back from rebuild with a totally different driveablity as far as the lightweight flywheel and FX400 I had to relearn how to drive over bumps, cracks, etc. I actually killed it at this so called point I raced Colin because I was relearning to drive it and on a rough intersection. Then racing chase....we were in traffic he had his dad in the car with him beside me I rolled into it is all I DID NOT RACE.

Then the conversation with Hubie he never once said he would provide anything to me other then gap measurements, piston measurements, etc. He said that once I finally get around to rebuilding to give him a call for parts or anything.

13. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    If you mean the cam it is like the MINI camshafts supplied from Newman Cams. They are purchased in quantity from camshaft billet suppliers which offers lower price points on low quality billets. Not the best materiel but billet all the same.
    To be clear so that some will not take this as a poke at Newman cams.....To my knowledge having physically tested most MINI offered cams and even did a cross sectional cut on a couple I found no ones camshaft to be of inferior material using it for applications in the MINI,s engine. I used the Newman Cam reference without mention of performance but because they have the blue ribbon award for the "ugliest" finished product available. :lol:

I can see I am going to be ignored with my requests from the thread author? So I guess it is going to be left to those directly involved to debate it out.
    Thanks for your indulgence.

14. ColinGreene

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Its also thanksgiving so i wouldent stress it too much.
    That being said, my newman ground cam works just peachy.

15. Camaro

Camaro New Member

May 5, 2009
    Industrial designer
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    What pictures were you requesting? I am out of town till wednesday so i will be able to get them when I get home.

16. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Correction, 3 sides to every story.... Yours, mine and the truth..... Just sayin :)

We now return to your regularly scheduled bickering.

17. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    I'm tryng to figure out why some keep bringing up Jan/RMW and his products in this thread when not one RMW product was on Alex's motor and Jan had never tuned or touched his car... :crazy:

The only reason could be that the vendors in question want to blame Jan for the OP's being understandably angry about his situation instead of what really has occurred....:mad5: Whatever that might be.

Just for clarity: Jan/RMW had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH Alex's car, and no RMW products were on his car. :nonod:

So please let's keep this between the parties and products that were actually involved.:Thumbsup:

....of course maybe Jack Rousch or Carol Shelby are at fault...they have and do make go fast stuff too.. LOL

18. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Alex I hope you are in the fine Republic of California, home of the lawsuit, seeking legal counsel and legal action against Mynes. I would at least call the BBB and file a report. Maybe when you are done you can change the name from Mynes to Yours.

Of course you may have to get in-line with all the Sprintex buyers that have blown up :ihih: but thats a whole different topic and thread. :wink:

19. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The Sprintex mess is not part of this thread. Lets leave it out please.

20. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Someone reported a post in this thread asking how minimark knows that there are no RMW parts on Alex's car.

It's pretty simple, reading comprehension...

Alex did not mention there were any RMW parts or that he worked with RMW at all in his first post that laid all this out.

What we have a few people that want to drag others into this issue and they bring up things from the past that really have NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS THREAD.

I see what some people are doing and thats trying to muddy the waters here to the point where the thread is useless. That will not happen. Keep in mind the 1st guideline to posting on M/A : Don't be a Jerk

Who has the ultimate say in the defining if you are being one...

ME

Keep that in mind.

Have a nice day :)